Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-06-2015, 05:18 AM   #1

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
Raindrops keep falling in my storage compartment

OK, that would never go as a remake to the old song, but I was wondering if someone has a way to stop water from dripping into the storage compartment when the door is lifted. Sometimes, we all end up camping in the rain and as soon as you lift any of the horizontal hinge type storage doors, water runs down toward the hinge, around and through the hinge and into the nice, dry storage area. I have an idea for a way to help this, but if something is already available, I'd like to know about it.
Thanks,
Rich

vcrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:28 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Rich,

I have done something similar that "might" work or at least give you something to build on.

Basically install a drip edge along the top area of the frame to break free the water tension and let the drips happen in a different area. I have seen this on some entry doors, they even sell a door trim piece to do that. I think I have seen it on some Jayco's

In the cargo door situation, odds are high this will need to pull the door unit out of the camper insert the new drip edge, then seal it back up.

Here is how I made mine to deflect water off the bottom of the slide floor.

Start with extra wide house drip edge. This gives me a hemmed white aluminum strip easy.

To cut it, score with a sharp sheetrock knife one side. Then flex back and forth and it will split off clean. Use this score and flex trick on house siding all the time to trim out around windows out of roll stock.

Then create your drip edge configuration for the cargo hole. You might want to leave the 90 deg bend on it to mount to the side of the camper. The curved ends you may need tweak to fit. And this does not need to stick out very far to be in the way, just over the cargo door hinge area

It does work. See here with me pouring water down it.

Now no more water ever gets under the slide.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:05 AM   #3

SUN #37
Here's one idea I had. I used a strip of low voltage wire mold to attach near the top of the storage door with the intention of catching the rain water as it drains off the door.

In theory, it catches the water and lets it run to the ends where it can drip away from the opening. The first difficulty I had was with the adhesive. It stuck like mad to the door, but peeled away from the plastic so water leaked into the compartment anyway.
I'll see if I can get a good 3M foam tape to replace it if I don't go with my second idea to turn the entire door and frame upside down so it flips down instead of up. I know that way it would catch rain water on the inside of the door which would be tossed into the storage compartment when closed, but with the slide out I'm building (like Scottk's)the door would be under the slide out when I'm using it, so it would be covered. The slide drawer would get wet, but that's another invention in the making.
Anyone have any input on this idea?
Rich
Old 10-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
I have an option, maybe not a good one but a thought.

The door in this case is hinged on the wrong side. Even if you flip the hinge to the bottom, the inside of the door can get wet laying down.

This might be a little radical but would help greatly reduce the problem. Place the hinge on the front "side" of the door. The door hinges open on the side. The large flat panel then is not as directly exposed to the rain, only the ~ 5/8" thickness of the door. I say put the hinge on the front so as driving down the road if for some reason the locks come undone, the wind blows it shut verses blowing it wide open.

This option would most likley need an extra twist/turn latch on top to hold the door tight agasint the gasket.

If you ever get anywhere near the Elkhart IN area, there are many surplus places where cargo door units cost only ~ $10 to $15. The last entire glass crank out window I bought was only $20. Brand new, just had to find the right size. If you experiment with the inexpensive cargo door, if it does not work out, you put the original back in.

Hope this sparks an idea

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:02 AM   #5

SUN #37
John,
I did consider that, but I thought the door would not be as stable with so much width hanging on a short hinge. I thought it might sag.

I'll have to work with my door though as I probably won't be getting out Elkhart way for the foreseeable future (that's funny come to think of it, how much of the future is foreseeable?)

But you're right, rain water would be no problem at all with that set up, just like the "shed" door, but that's hinged on the long side.

Being one who works with vinyl, my mind tends to gravitate to that route, so I'm wondering if a strip of vinyl under the top hinge to seal out the water that goes through it would work if I was able to extend it past the sides of the opening and still close the door. I did try a piece to check clearance and found that the hinge closes so tightly, it moved the door down enough to interfere with the frame when I tried to close it.
I'll keep trying as I get the time.

Thanks,
Rich