Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #1

SUN #6418
bbt_79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Radio install, '93 T-2362

This is one of the craziest things I've seen (and maybe someone on here can explain it)...having speakers as standard equipment, but the radio is optional/extra. I guess they were thinking about guys like us, who might want to add one in the future (albeit many years in the future ). Boy.....am I thankful they were there and the wires already ran.

So, I searched around and found this stereo. It looked like a decent deal, although I wasn't able to find many reviews on it. I took a chance and ordered it anyway because I really wanted something that could play video also (DVD's and MPEG-4 files).

Since the speaker and stereo wiring are in the middle of the front upper cabinets, that's were we decided to mount the unit (where the blank panel is in the center)

This unit is just a single-DIN so it doesn't take up much room.

Started by blasting a hole into that center panel that was just big enough for the stereo sleeve to fit through.

I wanted the stereo to be secure and I new that using just the sleeve supported by that 1/8" panel would not be enough. Well, dad was digging through his shop and happened across these adjustable L-Brackets. They worked like a charm considering the stereo already had 5mm holes drilled and tapped into the side of it's chassis. We had some old hardware left over from a TV mount and out of that, we were able to find two 5mm bolts that were probably 15mm in length. Given the thickness of the L-Brackets, these worked perfectly.

I wanted a way to cut all power to unit (we're not worried about preset stations and what not). So, I added this switch that supplies power to both that ACC wire (Red wire) and Memory wire (Yellow wire) of the stereo.

Connected all of the wires to the wiring harness of the stereo, slid it into place, and connected it to the L-Brackets. Best of all...IT WORKS!

Now, seeing as how it outputs video (and does it well, we temporarily connected it to the TV using a spare RCA cable we had laying around), I've got to come up with a way to get a single RCA cable from the stereo...over to the TV area above the Fridge (on the left as soon as you walk in the door).

Old 09-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice clean installation, looks good.

Were the wires already in that hole in the shelf or did you have to search for them?

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:10 PM   #3

SUN #6418
Wires were already there Gene! Here's what we had: 4 qty 2-conductor wire = for the 4 speakers in the ceiling; orange'ish red wire = 12V power; For the ground, I had to splice in to the ground wire for the two lights that are mounted underneath the cabinet (there was a lot of slack in it, so I think this is what was meant to happen because all of the slack was wadded with all of the other radio wiring). I'm going to try to get the RCA-video cable ran from the stereo to the TV, sometime this week hopefully. Then I've got to get the TV mount installed.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:18 PM   #4

SUN #768
That is good to know. I know several people have tried to find where the wires were buried when there was no radio installed.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
Old 09-30-2014, 06:26 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Nice work!

Thanks for sharing.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:28 AM   #6

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
Very nice. Are you going to output video to your TV? If so, where is the TV located? Fixed location or portable?
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #7

SUN #6418
Yep...gonna work on that tonight as a matter of fact.

Fixed vs. Portable...that's a good question. There are multiple "cable" hookups in the camper.

One location is in the front left corner (just above the left side of the sofa), and it's mounted underneath the overhead cabinet where I installed the stereo. I doubt we will ever put the TV here. There is not much counter area there to sit the TV and viewing from the sofa would be almost impossible (This is where they decided to put the Antenna hookup though...go figure).

Another location is at the rear of the camper in the side of the nightstand between the beds (our model has two twin beds, one on each side of the camper). We might possibly put the TV in this location for viewing if we are lying in bed.

The third location, and the one that will probably be the fixed location, is to the left and above the refrigerator as soon as you walk in the door. This is a little shelf area and it's perfect for our TV. This is where I'm going to run the RCA-video to. I'm also going to mount a full motion articulating TV arm here (my hope is that we will be able to pull it out far enough to watch it from the "bed" area)

As for running the RCA cable...I'm just going to run it as close the ceiling as I can get it. I bought a white one, so it shouldn't stick out too bad.

I'll take some pictures and update as I progress.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #8

SUN #768
You may have a hollow space in the ceiling from the fridge area to just where the radio is mounted. My 2363 is quite similar if not identical to your 2362. My fridge goes all the way to the ceiling and I recall seeing pictures of earlier units that had a shorter fridge and the shelf.

Some years back I pulled the inside surround for the front vent down to remove the vent screen and crank so I could replace the vent lid. The wood for the vent frame had an opening and I stuck an inspection camera in there and looked around. There was space between the wood bow for the roof and the wood that holds the ceiling. There were a bunch of wires and the antenna coax running in there just laying on the ceiling. I think there was a solid piece right where the "wall" for the front cabinets (and your radio) are located.

It might be worth looking and it is only 4 screws to remove the inside vent surround.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
Old 06-07-2017, 06:32 PM   #9

SUN #9103
djmcgilvray is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello, Your installation looks great and I like your switch idea. I am just curious about the Orange power wire. I am installing a new radio system and when I looked at the wires I have two orange wires capped together. I am not sure why two. I also have to looped sections of wire with no ends and I believe I am to cut them in order to hook up the speakers? Do you have any Ideas?