Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-07-2007, 07:49 AM   #1

SUN #209
Dave
Over/under kit and jacks

Hi - and as a newbie, I thought that this first post could be the mods that I have made to our '01 2753.

Since this camper was purchased used, and was a 'bachelor crash pad'permanent installation, it had a few things that needed to be done to make it ready for travel (we don't do the seasonal park thing)

The most important mod was installing the Atwood over/under axle kit. Since some of the campgrounds we visit have some interesting grade and site pitches, the rear skids were doing a bit of "agricultural" work and digging deep furrows. This kit places the axles under the springs, giving 5-6 additional inches of clearance. It is a fairly easy modification, but a bit physical and time consuming but well worth the additional clearance. I was a bit concerned that the additional height would increase sway but just the opposite - it tracks even more smoothly - and I do not use an anti sway bar.

The second mod was to add scissor type frame jacks to cut down the wiggle - the fronts are mounted conventionally, with a side to side arrangement. The rears, because of the storage trunk had to be mounted in an end to end configuration. This took a bit of design work as the jacks are built to be mounted in the conventional side to side configuration. A piece of angle iron was bolted (could also be welded) to the frame to allow a wider mounting surface. We can now walk the length of the unit witout a major "shake up".

The third mod was to change out the toilet. This happened because the original owner left it full of ..., well, you know what I mean . And using the word smell wont describe it - evidently the 90 mile trip home sloshed things around a bit and created the problem. We flushed and tried to clean the toilet, including removing and cleaning with clorine bleach. We even used the camper a couple of times but the stink was always there. I purchased a new parchment colored Thetford toilet, but got the hand flush lever instead of the foot lever. Since this is a center bath unit, it took the foot lever out of tripping reach (yep, at 0200 one morning I tripped). This has proven to be a great mod plus the color is better then the original white. Very easy mod and the hand flush was a fair amount cheaper.

And lastly, we disabled the shower and put in some additional storage. If I have any complaint about the Sunline, it does lack storage - based on the ancient Kountry Aire 5er and a couple of other campers we have owned between that and the Sunline.

With an '06 Glendale Titanium 28E33TS fiver
'06 F350 V10 Lariat 4x4 CrewCab
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:59 AM   #2

SUN #196
tinybluetj
Wow, Dave! You have been busy! I am so glad that you saved this Sunline from certian demise!

Old 03-09-2007, 06:44 AM   #3

SUN #209
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinybluetj
Wow, Dave! You have been busy! I am so glad that you saved this Sunline from certian demise!
This has been a great camper so far - I just have that urge to make things "just wee bit better". I'm sure that there will be more mods, but until I uncover dig it out of its' yearly snowbank, not sure what will be next.
Besides needing a couple of decals, not even much maintenance - new tires last year, and a new battery due this year.
With an '06 Glendale Titanium 28E33TS fiver
'06 F350 V10 Lariat 4x4 CrewCab
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:32 PM   #4

SUN #115
emam
Sounds like you've been busy!! We also changed out the stock toilet for a Thetford porcelain model but kept the foot flush option. I didnt know they made a hand flush option?? Guess I should do some more research.

With the new toilet being about 3 to 4 inches higher than the stock model, it makes a world of difference for fulltiming.

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote