Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-29-2008, 09:33 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
New TV ???

How big will fit? I'd like to remove this heavy 19' TV and replace it with a flat panel and I was wondering just how big I could go. I also have a thought in my head (boy is that dangerous), I'd like to make a "slightly recessed door" for the front of the cabinet and mount the TV to it, then I'd have all that hidden storage behind the TV. Do you think it's do-able ? Here is what I have now:

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:12 AM   #2

SUN #597
henryj
I have a 19" Samsung LCD in mine--a really nice TV by the way. I screwed the wall mount down to the shelf and it holds the TV in really tight, even on I69 around Flint

I measured that you can just slide a 22" in slightly behind the uprights of the shelf, but decided that for the viewing distance a 19" is plenty big enough and we've been really happy with it. One of the members has a 32" I believe, but their 2499 doesn't have the upper cupboard. With that, I think a 22" is all that'll fit. There's plenty of height for a flat panel, but the 16:9 ratio makes them a lot wider than the old 4:3, so it's the width that will limit you to 22".

Henry

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
Thanks Henry,

I''ll be checking things out on this project, but I want to get this cabinet project finished first. Not working out there today because I have my knees hurting

So, I'll keep an eye out for a blockbuster of a sale on a 22 inch flat panel. Even IF I can't do the slightly recessed door, I still want to go to a flat panel.

I just picked up a 32" flat panel last night for 399 at Radio Shack and eveyone else was no where near the same price. Now, that is for in the house.

Kitty
Old 11-29-2008, 05:00 PM   #4

SUN #128
Tweety
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the TV on the door. Do you mean that you'd mount the TV on the outside of the door so that the TV actually swings on the door?
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
You got it Pam, I would like to try to make a door that I mount the TV to, attach the door to the side of the cabinet with a piano hinge and then I'd be able to have access to a storage area behind the door. I got this idea from a topc I saw in 10 Minute Tech in trailer life or highways.

Folks just have to STOP coming up with all these neat projects for me to do
Old 11-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #6

SUN #385
Hematite
Yes, Henry is correct, without the upper cabinet, a 32" flat screen is an easy fit. I do use it in the house and the Sunline.

What I would suggest is that no matter what size that you get, find one with a built-in DVD player. I bought a Westinghouse 32" with the DVD player and I am quite impressed with the quality of the playback. Sometimes it's nice to kick back and watch a movie.

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
Rick,

Thanks for the info, and I'll be on the lookout for one with a built in DVD player. Is there a gizmo that will transfer VHS tapes to a DVD ? I have a ton of VHS tapes, and if I could convert then I'd be able to eliminate the VHS player.

Kitty

Geesh, all this things to do, sometimes having a fella around might not be too bad

Kitty
Old 11-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #8

SUN #492
GhettoMedic
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyonkitty
Rick,

Is there a gizmo that will transfer VHS tapes to a DVD ? I have a ton of VHS tapes, and if I could convert then I'd be able to eliminate the VHS player.

Kitty
Here is one, they also have options on ebay
http://www.heartlandamerica.com/brow...&BC=S&DL=SEH1#
https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...9/mycamper.jpg
GhettoMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:14 AM   #9

SUN #385
Hematite
Kitty:

I do have a Panasonic machine that can transfer VHS to DVD and do a good job, at that. I believe it can even do the opposite, as well.

Actually, I should get that on my to do list. Over the years I managed to accumulate quite a few really good movies on VHS. Shifting them to DVD would make them very convenient for use while traveling.

As of the last few years, I have had very good luck with Westinghouse TV's. An old name in electrical devices, it has been resurrected and their flat screens are relatively low priced with extremely fine picture quality. That 32" that I bought simply amazes me with the quality of picture both on the antenna and from the built in DVD player. It was a lot more expensive than the one you recently bought at Radio Shack but I also bought mine a year ago and we all know that TV prices just seem to go down every year! I know that they do make a smaller screen with built in player but I don't know the size, offhand.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #10

SUN #385
Hematite
This unit is quite similar to the one that I have. It is quite expensive and unbelievably difficult to use. The quality of the transfered movies is exceptional, which is why I bought it.

http://www.target.com/Panasonic-DVD-...8&frombrowse=1

I would not recommend it, however, because it is just too complex and not user friendly, and too expensive. I'm sure there are better choices out there to do the job with a minimum of fuss!

The one that GM posted is certainly an excellent price!

Old 11-30-2008, 10:41 AM   #11

SUN #385
Hematite
This is the smallest combo unit that I found that is made by Westinghouse. You can get an idea of whether it will fit because this is the factory site with all the specs. the base on this one may be removable.

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/d...px?itemnum=197

Note that it is not light, it weighs 29 lbs. My 32" weighs 40 lbs, quite a handful when transferring it between the house and Sunline!

Old 11-30-2008, 02:53 PM   #12

SUN #115
emam
Kitty, I think the door would be hard to make, but one option would be to mount the flat screen in a recessed panel, then put a little door on the side of the television that would allow you to mount a door to.

I would just be worried that the weight of the flat screen and it's mount would be too much for the piano hinge.

We have one flat screen that has a built in DVD and have had a few problems if we ever put in a DVD that has a thick label on it. Like the ones you can make on your printer when you burn them yourself

Just be forewarned on that. One option is to just get one of those little DVD players that is just a little bigger than the DVD itself. This way if you find a inexpensive flatscreen, you're not limited to what you can find.

Cant wait to see this Mod

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:14 PM   #13

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyonkitty
You got it Pam, I would like to try to make a door that I mount the TV to, attach the door to the side of the cabinet with a piano hinge and then I'd be able to have access to a storage area behind the door. I got this idea from a topc I saw in 10 Minute Tech in trailer life or highways.

Folks just have to STOP coming up with all these neat projects for me to do
Kitty

I will show you mine when I get to it.... So the race is on who get's it first....

I have the same style entertainment cabinet in the T310.

The plan is to make a swinging door panel that will cover the TV hole and be sunk in about 2 or 3 inches so the flat panel screen is just below the face of the entertainment cabinet.

And I will make it strong enough that I can swing it out to view if needed. Then behind it we can store more stuff OR the VCR/DVD player, maybe. Don’t know on that part yet as the remote most likely will not work thru the door OR we have to get up to turn it on and off. Haven’t sorted that one out yet.

But the swinging flat screen panel is on the To Do project list. First we have to get the TV that will fit in the hole then build accordingly. Actually “I think” the T310 hole is bigger, taller, then my T2499 hole. Have not measured yet, but I do know the VCR hole is smaller on the T310 then the T2499 as when we moved the pull bins over they just fit in the T310 and I had lot’s more room above them in the T2499. I do knw the T310 and T2499 doors for the top and bottom cabinet are the same size, so it is in just the vertical hole size.

Here is the 2004 T2499, almost the same as your 2006

Let us know what flat screen you get to put in the hole

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #14

SUN #115
emam
I know this price is a little steep (We didnt pay this much) but this is the mount we used for our Plasma in the living room

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...all_Mount.html

The thing is built bombproof and has limit less manuverability for those looking to move it around to view while in the kitchen. THis was one of the reasons we chose this model mount.

Two things,

1. You need a strong support behind the mount for it to mount to. I was able to grab ahold of one of the studs in the wall and used two lag bolts to drill it to the wall

2. Its heavy! It weighs more than the plasma screen.

But in 60,000 miles of rough travel, it's never moved nor come loose and it still holds the Plasma like the day I put it on. Way better than the other more inexpensive mount we used for the other flat screen in the bedroom. I've had to readjust that one a few times and I'm always waiting to come into the coach one time and find it on the ground.

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote