Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #1

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
New LCD TV and DVD Shelf

As mentioned in another post, we bought (actually Mary bought it) a new 20” LCD TV for the trailer. (So some of this is redundant with the other post - sorry for the duplication.).

The TV fit perfect in our entertainment center.

But I wanted to come up with a method for securing the TV so we wouldn’t have to move it while traveling.
Here’s what I came up with.

First, I put a small hook in the wall near the corner of the wall and close to the cabinet top where the TV will site on. I positioned so the hook’s opening was down to aid in assuring the bungee cords stay attached to the hook.

The approach is to use bungee cords to secure the TV. One ball/loop bungee cord and two small bungee cords.

The ball bungee cord was looped around the base of the TV so it was positioned between the TV’s base on the bottom of the TV.

The 2 small bungee cords would connect to the left & right top corners of the TV, using an air vent on each side to hook the bungee cord into the TV.

All bungee cords would be attached to the wall hook.
The 2 small bungee cords attach to the wall hook to keep the TV from bouncing forward.

The ball bungee cord keeps the TV pulled back to the wall.

I actually attached the bungee cords to the wall hook in the opposite order. First I stretched the ball/loop bungee onto the wall hook, then, one at a time, I attached a small bungee cord to the wall hook and stretched it and attached to a corner top air vent of the TV.

After securing the TV, I noticed there was enough space between the top of the TV and the wall cabinet to locate our DVD player. So this week-ends tinkering was to build a shelf and attach it the wall cabinet for the DVD player.

From scrape wood I had laying around in the garage I build this shelf.

Got some angle bracket to use as a method to attach it to the underside of the wall cabinet. And put some of that non-slide stuff on it to help keep the DVD player from sliding.

I attached the shelf to the underside of the wall cabinet.

Used the angle brackets to secure it to the underside of the wall cabinet and put 2 small hooks on either side of the self to be use to secure the DVD player for traveling.

I use the small hooks on either side to run a small bungee cord around the front of the DVD player to keep it secure during traveling.

Now our entertainment center is complete with everything set and secure for traveling.

And with the removal on one small bungee cord, it’s ready for use. It’s so nice now that we don’t have to pack or unpack things.

Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #2

SUN #149
nasa42a
Hutch...

Now THAT is craftmanship!

Frank

nasa42a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:13 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hutch

Nice Job!! And nice looking interior camper. It is allways cool to see others campers.

Oh the white bear on the bed is cute too What is his name?

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:20 AM   #4

SUN #98
Thanks for the kinds words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB
Oh the white bear on the bed is cute too What is his name?
John,
Actually it’s a Lamb, it was given to us with the trailer by the dealer, the dealer’s name was AC Lamb RV, so sort-of a marketing thing by them.
We never thought about naming it. It just goes along for the ride (or bounce depending on the roads ). Sometimes it stays on the bed during traveling, other times, it will have a tendency to wonder .

Hutch
Old 09-18-2007, 05:59 AM   #5

SUN #128
Tweety
Nice. We need to do something like that - including buying the TV. I was thinking we needed to do something for the coffee maker too. There just isn't enough cabinet space to put it away, so it usually ends up wedged in the shower along with the TV
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:15 AM   #6

SUN #492
GhettoMedic
we got an LCD tv for christmas and I am oing to buy an adjustable swing arm for it so I can move it around to watch from the bed or swing around the coner so I can watch from the dining table.
https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...9/mycamper.jpg
GhettoMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:37 PM   #7

SUN #382
Mooney
Hutch,

Looks sweet, PLEASE don't take me as a naysayer- but I've seen a lot of stuff move around in trailers and trucks (and I see it everyday...) I would hate to hear a bad story later.

I've gotta ask, how long is that hook that holds the TV? That's potentially a lot of rocking force going onto that one hook. It looks like one of the coffee cup hooks... Over time, the surface the hook is set in is bound to loosen up with that much force (figuring the tv weighs ~10 pounds +) wiggling around...even a little rocking will loosen those hooks up (or pull them straight out).

How about drilling a small hole or two in the bottom of your new shelf and hooking larger bungies up to seperate hooks (like eye hooks) set in the countertop (heresy, I know) set slightly behind the tv stand? Set them up as vertical straps (somewhat like what you did with the DVD, just perpendicular to it).

Better safe than sorry, ya know?

Greg
'05 2380s Solaris Lite, axles flipped
Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:27 PM   #8

SUN #98
Hey Greg,

The hook has about 3/4” of thread, I think, can’t really remember. So far it’s been secure, but you have a good point. In the spring when I put the TV back in I’ll have to check the hook to see if it’s loosened up at all.

Thanks for the suggestion of alternative ways to secure the TV.

Hutch
Old 01-14-2008, 08:20 PM   #9

SUN #115
emam
Kudos to you Hutch, that looks like ti came from the factory that way!

With 3 bunge cords holding that thing on there, I'm betting it aint going anywhere.

We've kept ours strapped down with two loops of velcro and it's never moved. I just simple screwed a 3" long screw into a molly in the wall, and used a 3' piece of 1" velcro that wraps around the TV.

You could always throw somoething like that to further secure it while traveling.

Great Job

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote