Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #1

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Multiple Inverters?

After looking online I found where multiple inverters can be connected to the house battery/batteries. What I didn't find, or maybe I did but didn't know what I was reading, was how to wire multiple inverters to produce one big inverter.

I found how to wire from the battery to a common bus connection and tap different inverters from there. How being careful to size wires properly and make sure the battery has capacity. That we should not combine the 110V ouitputs or we could get strange reactions.

Can inverters be added together to make a bigger inverter? For instance I have a 400W and a 800W. Can they be put together for a 1200W?

Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Well you would fooling with high voltage trying to combine them. I guess the answer is do you need 1200 watts? You'll be drawing about 100 or more amps from your battery at 1200 watts and it will require some pretty big wires. If you feel you need 1200 watts I would buy an inverter that's capable of that kind of load it would be far more efficient.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #3

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Unless the inverters are specificly designed to run in parallel, you can't combine them.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #4

SUN #1830
Thanks guys. After looking at this You are right that first I don't need to combine them, not really. And second what I have cannot be combined. What I think I can do is install the largest unit I have and upgrade the battery bank.

In reality I think my needs will be better served with more battery power, solar charging, and frugal use of what power I'll have. We cannot be couch potatoes in front of the TV and under A/C like at home. Not without the 110V powercord.

Thanks again.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #5

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I do know a lot of people that have spent LOTS of money just to be able to run their microwave with batteries $600 is not an unusual figure. Lights are energy hogs switching to LEDs cuts that by a factor of at least 10X. Heater fans are kind of necessary and water pumps. An accumulator helps with pump current draw a great deal there are a lot of easy tricks to help you use less power. Up grading the camper charger/converter reduces the recharge times again by a factor of 10 so a little 2000 watt genset can recharge the batteries in no time. Solar is nice but you can spend as much money on a system as you would on a little Honda generator. To me that is the answer I recharge mine with a little generator and only run it when it won't irritate people. I use a fair amount of power to power my ham radios but they have their own battery that I charge using the campers 45 amp charger while recharging the main battery.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #6

SUN #1830
Thanks! That is pretty much what I had in mind. Here in Florida the heater fan is a very small problem, if any. We can adjust our cooking habits to using the stove even if microwaves are faster. LEDs will come in time.