Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-31-2007, 11:17 AM   #1

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Mud Flaps

On our previous tow vehicle (E-150 Conversion Van) and Sunline I made a stone guard / skirt that attached to the hitch shank.

I found that the stone guard protected the trailer front from stone chips and help keep the dirt down.

However, with our new tow vehicle (GMC 2500HD pick-up) and new trailer my original design no longer worked because the pick-up's rear end is higher than the Conversion Van.

Therefore, I had to come up with a different plan. Also because I’m using the new tow vehicle as an everyday vehicle, I wanted a more permanent attachment, rather than taking it on and off with the shank. Plus I (i.e., DW) wanted something that looked a little better than a hula skirt.

Here’s what I came up with:

I purchased the UltraGuard stone guard / mud flag for pick-ups (70”w x 16”h) from Camping World.

I also purchased the angle bracket. Note, if you get this paint it before installing it. I didn’t and it started rusting after the first week of use .

I have the GM OEM hitch receiver which has a round frame.

So I used 2¼” muffler clamps to attach the angle bracket to the hitch receiver.

View from underneath:

I attached the angle bracket to the bolt of the muffler clamp closest to the rear of the tow vehicle. This provided just enough room to clear the spare tire mounted under the frame.

And it fit tight behind the hitch receiver.

And I had to cut a small slit for the wire harness. The wires run under the angle bracket.

And the finish product is:

And when trailer is attached there’s about 2” of clearance between the bottom of the mud flap and the ground.

It looks like less then 2" becuase it sitting on an angle, half in the street, half in our front yard. But trust me, there's 2" of clearance .

We gave it its first test this past holiday week-end with a 700+ mile round trip. Did great, and it didn’t drag at all, at least to my knowledge and it didn’t show any signs of dragging.

Now I have to pain the bracket . Should have thought about that before I installed it .

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:19 PM   #2

SUN #44
SanDimasJoe
PTHutch,
Very nice looking and professional job. Presentation was very good also. I notice you have a Hensley Arrow as I. Is that a two inch dropbar you are using? I recently purchased a Chevy 2500HD 4x4. I was using the four inch dropbar with my old Chevy 1500 before I had the trailer axle flipped. It towed level. With the new truck I've tried the straight bar and the trailer tows a little high at the hitch. Is your truck at the stock heighth? Does your trailer tow level?

Joe

SanDimasJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:16 PM   #3

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the kind words.

My truck is stock, haven't done anything to it, so I guess it's at stock height. I believe it measures 23" from ground to buttom of bumper (unhitched). I can't remember what the measurement is to the top of the receiver opening. I think it's somewhere between 21-22". I can measure it for you if you would like.

The Sunline spec estimated the coupler at 23¾” from ground to top of coupler when trailer is level for our T-280SR.

I'm using a 2" drop and the trailer tows level. I set the weight distribution (Jack Assembly) at the middle (2nd) mark. I also have the 1400# distribution bars. I upgraded from the original bars when we got the new trailer. I still have the orignal bars if you know anyone who's looking for a pair. I think there 1000# or 1200#, can't remember which.

I love the Hensley - this is the 2nd trailer and 2nd tow vehicle I've used it on. I've been fortunate; I’ve been able to use the same shank on both tow vehicles and both trailers.

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:54 PM   #4

SUN #44
SanDimasJoe
Hutch,
Thanks. I am going to exchange my four inch drop bar for the two inch one. I think that will do the trick. I swear by the Hensley. I towed my trailer home from PA to CA, no sway at all. Expensive but worth every penney.
Thanks for your input.
SanDimasJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:03 AM   #5

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
In looking through the old Modifications forum posts, I found this. I would like to prevent the front of the the camper from getting dented by stones and also keep it from getting so dirty when towing in the rain.
Tom, did you find this wide mud flap worked for you?
Has anyone else tried it?
My first idea was to add a custom made covering to the front of the camper (like a car bra), but this wide mud flap may just prevent the debris from being flung out from under the truck in the first place.
Thanks,
Rich
vcrt is offline   Reply With Quote