Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-05-2008, 10:46 AM   #1

SUN #349
OPIE is an unknown quantity at this point
Mini Tank Electric Water Heater

My water heater is dead. I was discussing with a co-worker the pros & cons of paying $400+ to replace it in a 25 year old trailer since we rarely camp anywhere without showers, and we can always heat water on the stove for dishes. He suggested a point of use type mini-tank electric water heater. 4 to 6 gallon models seem to be in the $100-150 range. That's alot cheaper and easier than replacing the gas model and I can do the install myself. (I don't trust myself when explosive gases are involved)

Does anyone have any experience with these? Any special concerns I should be aware of? I'm thinking this could be a great alternative...

Old 02-06-2008, 07:40 PM   #2

SUN #382
Mooney
I think I saw something either online or at MacDonald's in Plainville - not sure about either, but I know I saw it recently....

It's an electric powered heating element with a thermostat and everything that goes in your camper water heater's drain plug hole. There's a grounded house-type plug that just plugs into the CG power supply.

I don't know how dead your heater is now though- guess if it's got a hole in it....it wouldn't work so well?

'05 2380s Solaris Lite, axles flipped
Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:39 AM   #3

SUN #246
Janalee
mini water heater..

We have a "mini water heater" for just what you are describing---it's called an electric coffee pot! Saves on wear and tear on the big one as we use the camp showers mostly..hubby does the dishes ( I am the driver!) and he swears by this method..You can also pick up a large "party size" at yard sales for $2-$3 for outside use!
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:54 AM   #4

SUN #349
The heater is DEAD dead. There was an un-noticed leak before we got it. It soaked all the insulation inside the cardboard cover so it sat wet for a LONG time and corroded the piping in and out and the tank leaks too. Thankfully the insulation also container most of the moisture so there is very little damage to the wood floor below, just some minor staining and mildew. Right now it's just shut off, but I need to get it out anyway.

We do have an electric kettle for dishes and such, but with an 8 year old running around, I'd rather not have hot water sitting on the counter at all times.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #5

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Opie,

Just food for thought here....

There is always the possibility of replacing the heater with a used one. Several possibilities come to mind:

First, find an RV salvage shop and see what they have to offer.

Second, there is always eBay. I found this one while looking for something else. Who knows, it may even be similar to the one you are looking at replacing, and a lot of the parts may even fit it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RV-ca...spagenameZWDVW

Have you given any thought to what you would do with the exterior opening after you remove the broken heater if you don't put another RV water heater in there?

The mini tank electric heater may consume more juice than the trailer's electrical system can handle. Again, something to include in your thinking on the whole matter. Might not be much of a cost savings if you have to install a whole new circuit in the trailer to handle the current for a new electric heater.

I would also look into a tankless unit, just to cover all the bases. I have no personal experience with them only because I have not had a need to do so. But I would certainly include them in my thinking if I was in your boat. I believe there are propane fired units available, too.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:42 PM   #6

SUN #349
Tankless would be great, but way too much $$$. Used is a possible solution. I have been trolling Ebay, but keep getting outbid.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I wish there was a RV salvage yard around here !!
Old 10-07-2008, 06:53 AM   #7

SUN #723
PITBOX
atwood heater

opie,i have the same problem. just purchased a 17.5 sb[1979],when hooking and filling the water system,water poured out of the heater area! i removed the unit from the camper and found a nice size hole right on the bottom of the tank.! not to mention the control unit is sketchy at best. i was thinking of a small electric heater as well.dry camping would be no problem for power with my generator,but i am curious about campsite hook up's.i have enough space on the breaker box for another circut.let me know how you made out please.thanks.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:52 AM   #8

SUN #503
sdsferraro
Send a message via Yahoo to sdsferraro
I had the same problem and looked at different options, then replaced it with the same kind. But, I did notice that Home Depot had a tankless electric in the store for less than$100, think it was $97, but when I looked online, all I could find was

Ariston
110 Volts Electric Water Heater, GL2.5 Mini-Tank
Model GL2.5
$159.80

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90403+502663

Still a litttle cheaper than a propane water heater.[/url]