Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #1

SUN #597
henryj
MaxxFan Installation

Camping season seems to be winding down for everyone and it's a bit slow around SOC as well as at home with lots of rain--a good time for an FYI post about Maxxair fans. Our 2499 came with a very small fan, 3" maybe--they have fans that size in computers!--that JohnB has appropriately labelled the "whizzer." It makes a lot of noise, but moves just enough air that I've put up with it because the alternatives are expensive and labor intensive to install. For a year or two I've been tossing the Turbo/Maxx and MaxxFan back and forth in my mind weighing the pros and cons of each.
http://www.maxxair.com/all-maxxair-products.html
I did not consider other models like Fantastic--we had a very good one in our last trailer--as I was looking for an all in one rain proof design.

The Turbo/Maxx and MaxxFan have the same mechanical and electrical specifications--in other words, the guts are the same. Note that there is now a newer Maxxfan model no. 5100K with 10 speeds and a ceiling fan function. http://www.maxxair.com/maxxfan.html
The Turbo/Maxx has two big advantages: it can be had with or without a thermostat--much cheaper; it installs overtop of the existing roof vent exactly like a Maxxair vent cover. See John's post for the details: http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/ph...&highlight=fan
About the only disadvantage of the Turbo/Maxx is a more finicky interior installation--see John's caution about that--and the add on look of the control switch.

We don't get to Camping World very often and a bonus of attending the WNY M&G is that you're only 10 min. from one of the nicest CW I've ever been in. So off we went to buy the Turbo/Maxx... only it wasn't in stock... but the MaxxFan was... end of debate.

The big disadvantage of the MaxxFan is that it requires the complete OEM vent removal and its replacement with the MaxxFan--and it's more expensive with its standard thermostat. See John's post for vent replacement and sealing: http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/ph...pic.php?t=1662
As John states, this is one time when old dull tools come in handy. I used a well worn 1" putty knife to peel off the dicor and then get under the vent frame to lift it up. Even old putty tape is unbelievably sticky and a fair amount of force is needed as is care not to damage the rubber roof. John did his vent replacements in March, with snow on the ground. I did mine in mid Sep. on a warm bright sunny day and I still found the hair dryer helpful for peeling off the old putty tape stuck to the roof. The whizzer, of course, is attached to the vent frame so its wires need to be cut to remove the frame, but it is not necessary to remove the whizzer from the frame.

Maxxair makes a quality product and everything fits together perfectly. The instructions are detailed and complete; there is an installation video online, and prospective buyers can download the installation in a .pdf to see if they want to tackle it. The screws are all mixed in the same hardware bag, but there are two kinds. Be sure to separate out the four blunt ones that attach the fan to the vent frame from the pointy ones that attach the frame to the roof.

The plastic vent frame uses fewer screws than the OEM metal one and I was concerned about drilling pilot holes first and then finding them when everything was covered in new putty tape, but not to worry. Unlike the OEM metal, the Maxxair vent frame has a lower flange that fits exactly into the standard 14x14 roof opening, and I mean there is no play at all. I drilled the pilot holes off this test fitting and then laid the new putty tape onto the bottom of the vent frame and placed it back into the roof opening. The exact fit ensured that the screw holes were all where they were supposed to be. With its upper-fan-mounting-flange and lower-fit-in-the-vent-opening-flange the plastic roof vent still has enough give to conform to Sunline's roof curvature. I had no trouble snugging up all the screws and squeezing out the putty tape. Lastly, attach the fan body to the vent frame with the 4 screws and then down to the inside to finish the installation. The longest part of this installation is getting out the ladders, blankets and boards to get on the roof and peeling off the old roof vent and putty tape. Everything else is a piece of cake.

What makes this install so easy is that the wall switch and wires to the whizzer are already there and work the same way with the MaxxFan. I was not able to remove Sunline's wire connectors (Are these not re-usable?) so had to cut them off and substitute Marr connectors. I thought these might not be RV approved so also taped them onto the wires to secure them. MaxxFan is designed to fit into all kinds of ceiling thicknesses and the interior ceiling trim piece is about twice as deep as necessary. After careful measurement I sawed off the xs using a coping saw. There may be better ways of sawing plastic, but that's what I had and it worked. I sanded the slightly ragged edge down a bit, and what's left of an inevitably uneven cutline is hidden in behind the lower flange of the vent frame. There's plenty of room to get an inch or more of the ceiling trim piece in behind the frame, so measure carefully and cut on the long side as the instructions say, or that ragged cutline will show.

One heads up: putty tape is not included. I bought the butyl--a better quality--putty tape in a "vent installation" package and there was more than enough to do this job. I don't have a food vacuum sealer, but wonder if unused putty tape could be preserved with one of those.

The MaxxFan is very quiet on low and it can be run here all day and night without being aggravating. Medium and high are noisier and best used while showering or cooking. In any case, on high, MaxxFan can change all the air in the 2499 in about 1.5 min.--fast enough that one fan is certainly adequate for a trailer this size. I haven't had enough experience to gauge how water proof it is. In a drenching thunderstorm with 50 mph winds I could feel light splashes of water while standing under the open vent--not a big problem on the bathroom floor, but I would never leave one open over the bed. We have Maxxair II covers on the other two vents and they let a bit of splash in too in the same storm. I'm guessing the Turbo/Maxx might be a bit better as its fan opening is further back from the vent opening, but is actually also closer to the roof so... ??. Someone with a Turbo/Maxx can add some of their experiences to this thread.

I also don't have enough experience with the thermostat to judge its value. There is no scale and you blindly turn the knob. However, it is easy to set as you can just twist the knob until the fan shuts off and know that it will maintain that temperature overnight, for example.

Maxxair also makes a Turbo/Maxx without the fan called the Fan/Mate. The Fan/Mate is meant to be a rain proof cover for other high powered fans like Fantastic. Maxxair also approves the Maxxair II vent cover, which has a bigger screen area, for use over high powered fans. This would be the least expensive option if a trailer already has a better fan than the whizzer.

All in all a worthwhile upgrade and I'm very pleased with the looks and functions of the MaxxFan.

Henry

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:03 PM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: MaxxFan Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryj
One heads up: putty tape is not included. I bought the butyl--a better quality--putty tape in a "vent installation" package and there was more than enough to do this job. I don't have a food vacuum sealer, but wonder if unused putty tape could be preserved with one of those.
I have a piece of putty tape laying in the bottom of a drawer in the trailer. It's been there for maybe 8 or 9 years, and is still soft. The edges have accumulated some dirt so I won't use it as tape, but I can still grab a piece of it, trim off the dirty edges and mold it to fit where needed.

Based on that experience, I'd judge that putting it in a zip-lock bag and squeezing out as much air as possible would preserve it for a long, long time.

Nice write-up on the install. My Sunline is old enough that it doesn't have a wall switch for the ole whizzer, just a push button on the metal strap next to the fan. But I still have that fan or similar on my "Dear Santa" list.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:48 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Henry

Very nice post. Good job!! And great pics.

So now I’m known for the “whizzer” LOL….

The thermostat on the TurboMax Fan. I have that on mine. It’s a nice feature however I have not really used it a lot. While we do use the fan a good amount and I’m glad I added it, it seems to be for short type runs. Like an hours or so, 30 minutes etc. The weather has not been conducive to needing the fan on for many hours in a row to use the Tstat. It’s either been so cold we have everything closed up and the heat on or it’s so hot the AC has to be on as your sweating like crazy.

The rain coming in the TurboMax. Well I have not been able to reproduce your testing conditions. “drenching thunderstorm with 50 mph wind” We have had drenching thunderstorms, and we have had 30 to 40 MPH winds. Just not both at the same time. I have never had any rain come in, but again I have not put it up against the "Henry test". LOL

Was your “test” at the campground where the winds where beating up the light house you posted us some pics of a short while back?

Thanks for sharing.

John

PS Yes I do agree, Maxx Air makes good quality products. I have been happy with every product of there’s. I just wish they made AC shrouds (covers) for the Dometic AC units. They make them for the Coleman Mach unit, but not the Durotherm. I had to get a Icon Technologies one out of Canada. Have yet to put it on, it came about 2 1/2 weeks ago. The Sun is killing mine. Prior owner never put any 303 or any UV product on the roof plastic. A roof trip is soon forthcoming.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #4

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sunline would not install a "Intake/Exhaust" fan in our coach because our "main" vent is right outside the bathroom. Thier reasoning was that that black tank vent pipe is too close to the fan and ,in theory, would draw the fumes from the black tank on intake mode. Our coach has three vents: one in the rear bath (with a "whizzer" fan), the second is in the main room just on the other side of the bathroom wall (with a exhaust only Fantastic Fan), and the third is in the front bedroom.

From your pictures your fan is about a foot away from the black tank vent, so you might want to consider this if you plan on using the fan on intake mode.

Mack

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Mack

Yes you are right about the vent pipe stinky issues. However on ours we only use it in exhaust mode regardless. Sort of use it as a whole house fan. Or in this case a whole camper fan....

If concerned yank the wire off the intake switch so it can only work in exhaust mode.

AND shut the fan off before flushing.. or else. Same problem just the other direction....

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #6

SUN #64
John:

We don't have the intake mode on our fan, so we don't have to pull a wire.

Fantastic Fan makes two models one just exhaust, the other has exhaust/intake. I throw this out there for those who might be considering this upgrade and save a few bucks on a single mode fan if they are close to the vent..

BTW: Sunline said the RVIA wouldn't pass it with an intake fan installed near (didn't say what the distance was) the vent pipe.

Mack

Old 10-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #7

SUN #597
henryj
John,
Yeah, the dry run for this fan was in MI where I took the lighthouse pictures so a 50 mph thunderstorm is pretty much a worst case scenario and I'm not at all disappointed that a few light splashes came in. I'm guessing in that downpour water would actually puddle on the roof and create extra splashing and the wind would make the rain pretty much horizontal. We were about 45° to the wind so really quite exposed. Funny thing, I was lying in bed wondering if the power would go off thinking I was glad I was far enough from home not to worry about my sump pump when I remembered I flicked the battery disconnect in the trailer. So then I lay there wondering whether the power would go off and I'd have to go outside to connect the battery and keep the fridge and lights working

Steve,
Thanks for the tip on the putty tape. I had no idea it lasted that long. I'll definitely seal it up.

Mack,
I hear your concern and I wonder why anyone even makes a fan with an intake mode. All Maxxair fans have intake. It makes no sense to me--I haven't seen any use for it in 9 years of having an exhaust fan. The Maxxfan has a separate rocker switch that moves through 2 clicks to get from exhaust to intake so it takes a very deliberate action to change the mode. It really is a case of set it on exhaust and forget it--there is no need to ever touch it again. However in this day, when McDonalds gets sued because their coffee is too hot, I can see why Sunline might have preferred not to install a fan that also came with an intake mode. I think John's concern about running an exhaust fan while flushing is a far more serious problem that no manufacturer is going to address so it comes down to a knowledgeable consumer taking some responsibility for his actions.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #8

SUN #64
Quote:
AND shut the fan off before flushing.. or else. Same problem just the other direction....
Our fan is outside the bathroom, just on the other side of the bathroom wall, so this hasn't been an issue. I've never had a problem with the "whizzer fan" in the bathroom vent.

Quote:
All Maxxair fans have intake. It makes no sense to me--I haven't seen any use for it in 9 years of having an exhaust fan.
I have considered putting a fan (w/intake) in our front bedroom vent. I figured the front one blowing in, with the rear one exhausting, would increase the airflow. But, if it is that hot/sticky we go to A/C. (mdfiregal is not one for dry camping ).

Quote:
The thermostat on the TurboMax Fan. I have that on mine. It’s a nice feature however I have not really used it a lot.
We have a wall mounted thermostat and rain sensor on our Fantastic Fan. When we have to leave the puppies in the coach, we'll leave the A/C on, but we also set the Fan thermostat to somewhere around 80 degrees, so that if we lose AC power, the fan will vent the trailer automatically. We usually will leave the front vent with Maxx Air cover open some, so there is some fresh air.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Henry,

Great job and explanation. We have a new Fantastic Fan with thermostat & rain sensor to install (Well, Gary needs to install it). We have "3" vents on the T-320 and plan to install the fantastic fan in the bathroom(rear bath) and use it pulling air outward, that way with the front bedroom vent open it should "hopefully" really ventilate the trailer. If it doesn't work as planned, well, then of course it will be "all Garys' fault"

Well, time to go, I gotta go pre-trip my bus, ya'll have a great day.
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #10

SUN #64
Kitty: Your 320 is basically a stretched out version of our 276. We also have three vents. We have the fantastic fan in the vent just outside the rear bath and with the front vent open (maxx air covered) it will keep the coach comfortable if the outside air isn't too hot. The only issue I see with putting it in the bathroom vent is if you would need to close the bathroom door for any length of time.

As long as the outside temp is reasonable, the Fantastic Fan running and a few windows open, keeps thing very comfortable.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #11

SUN #256
Bobo
At Camping World right now, an online special for the Turbo-Max with thermostat, $199.00. Just ordered one.

Bobo

2001 Coleman Utah
2006 Sunline T-2499
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote