Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-21-2016, 06:33 AM   #1

SUN #7990
BenB is an unknown quantity at this point
MaxxFan Deluxe Roof Fan Install

We decided that since we needed a new roof vent that it would be the perfect time to add a good roof fan to circulate air though the camper. We chose a MaxxAir MaxxFan Deluxe unit. They sell several versions of this with different fan speeds and remote control. We went with a manual opening 12 speed version with thermostat. It fits a standard 14” x 14” roof opening. This is what it looks like when it comes out of the box. Not shown is the new trim garnish for the inside.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

To prepare for the install if replacing an existing roof vent you would need to remove the old vent and clean up all the butyl tape a have a nice clean surface to install. In my case we did this as part of the new roof so it was going to be an original install for this vent hole.
[/URL][/IMG]

First remove the mounting flange and remove any wax, dust or grease, and apply a good butyl tape, I used Dicor. I also unscrewed the hinge to gain access to the inside and applied some 303 Protectant to prolong its life in the sun. Then haul everything and tools to the roof for install.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Before removing the silicone tape from the butyl tape on the flange place it in the roof opening and center it. I did this by sliding it to as far as it would go on all sides and marking the roof with a pencil. Then I centered it between the marks and made new ones to know where to stick it down.
[/URL][/IMG]

Current Camper: 2006 Sunline T-264SR
Previous Camper: 1998 Coleman Mesa
Tow Vehicle: 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500, 8.1L, 4X4
DirecLink Brake Controller, Draw-Tite Ultra Frame Receiver, Reese HP Trunnion Bar Hitch W/ HP DC
BenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:44 AM   #2

SUN #7990
Remove the silicone tape and apply some heat to the butyl to create a good bond. Make sure that the screw clips are on the sides of the camper. Screw down the flange with the screws provided, be careful not to over tighten this flange is plastic and will crack or crack over time if there is to much point pressure. [/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Next is to hook up the electrical power to the fan. This may require some prep work to run 12v power and ground to you fan location. If you are replacing a vent with a “whiz” fan or other vent that has a 12v accessory you can reuse the power wires from that. In our case this was being installed in a vent without prior power. I did a little ahead planning and when we had the roof off I ran power wires in between the rafters to prep for this. Chances are in most cases this wouldn’t be an option and the best way to run power will depend on your floor plan.

After you have power to the vent hole simply crimp the provided insulated wire connectors on the fan and power and ground wires from the trailer. I think they give disconnect type terminals to make it easy to remove form the roof for service and cleaning. [/URL][/IMG]

The flange and the screw heads will need to be caulked with Dicor to seal the flange/roof from the elements. This is easier without the main unit on, it is sealed to the flange with a built in gasket and the unit can be taken on and off without having to disturb the caulk.

To install the main unit to the flange, open the vent by turning the black knob (or remote if optioned), and flip the entire unit over and place it on the flange letting the wires fall into the hole inside. Secure the unit to the flange with the 4 screws that are provided, there are two each on the left and right side of the unit. (screws not installed in pic)[/URL][/IMG]

Inside the camper take the dangling wires and nicely tuck them up to the side or poke them back into the roof between the stud and install the new trim garnish with the 4 screws provided. Note the trim garnish may need to be trimmed depending on roof thickness refer to provided instructions for trimming. I got lucky and no trimming was necessary.[/URL][/IMG][/URL][/IMG]

This what it looks like on the roof when done open and closed.(Note in pics the flange was not caulked yet.[/URL][/IMG]

Current Camper: 2006 Sunline T-264SR
Previous Camper: 1998 Coleman Mesa
Tow Vehicle: 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500, 8.1L, 4X4
DirecLink Brake Controller, Draw-Tite Ultra Frame Receiver, Reese HP Trunnion Bar Hitch W/ HP DC
BenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:02 AM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Wow Ben, Cool post

Thanks for sharing.

To add to Ben's pics (which I had no idea when he took them all...) here is one with the caulking over the screws he was mentioning.

Ben's new 12 speed fan... 12 speeds... holy cow Maxx air fan is the next generation offered by Maxx Air. I see they have discontinued the prior Turbo Maxx fan that went over an existing vent. It seems Maxx Air, Fantastic Fan and Camco's fan unit all now need to be direct replacement of a the roof vent. And all are good units.

My older Turbo Maxx is still going strong. Only 3 speeds... and no remote control. The jury is still out which is a better system. They both work very well and are a great upgrade. When we boondock and have no AC, we just crack the windows open and turn on the fan and it draws in through all the windows exchanging the cool night air into the hot camper. If we have ours on low or medium and on the T stat to shut off in the middle of the night, I do not notice a large drain on my 2, group 27 batteries. Having 12 speeds...I'm sure you can dial in the power draw more closely as needed

Here is the older style
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...pics-8954.html

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:54 AM   #4

SUN #6969
Bubbabc is an unknown quantity at this point
Everything you do is always first class! I will repeat what I have said before. I would love To have one of your coaches when your done with it. It would be much better then a new one! You could make a fortune by producing "How to videos" !
Old 05-22-2016, 07:19 PM   #5

SUN #7990
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Having 12 speeds...I'm sure you can dial in the power draw more closely as needed[/url]
Its says on auto thermostat mode it will adjust the fan speed as need based on cabin temperature.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:04 PM   #6

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
"We went with a manual opening 12 speed version with thermostat."

Good Call on manual operation......the rain sensor on our Fantastic Fan drives us nuts. Cycles open and closed on the slightest dampness.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote