Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #1

SUN #4364
dtstanton is an unknown quantity at this point
Jack Antenna?

Anybody have any experience with the "Jack" antenna? Still shopping and weighing my options.

-Dale

TT: 1988 Sunline T-1350
TV: 2003 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3L
dtstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #2

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
I also would like any comments......

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #3

SUN #4364
I bit the bullet and ordered one. I hope it will serve my purposes. Don't know if I'll install it myself or have it done. I'll determine that after I get it and see what's involved.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:52 PM   #4

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
I have no experience with the Jack antenna but I have heard many people speak well of it. It does eliminate having to crank it up .... and the worry of cranking it down for travel. It is probably a good choice for a new install.

Of course you know pictures are mandatory after the installation.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #5

SUN #4364
I kind of like the signal strength finder thingy, too.

And yes, Gene. I know all about the pictures. <G>

Old 02-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Kitty and I bought one, when we got the 344. I've only used it a handful of times, but it is definitely better than the wingman!

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #7

SUN #4364
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
Kitty and I bought one, when we got the 344. I've only used it a handful of times, but it is definitely better than the wingman!
That's good to hear! Did you install it yourself? Was it the one like in the picture I posted, or the one that mounts on the Wingman crank-up thingy? (Technical terms. <G>)

Old 02-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtstanton View Post
That's good to hear! Did you install it yourself? Was it the one like in the picture I posted, or the one that mounts on the Wingman crank-up thingy? (Technical terms. <G>)

The one we got, mounted on the wingman mast. It was a 5 minute install, if that!

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:21 PM   #9

SUN #4364
Ok, our Jack antenna came today, and I like the look and feel. I have some questions/concerns.

As near as I can tell, our T-1350 does not have a built-in TV/cabling installation. This is a completely new deal. It only has a spot marked on the ceiling for an antenna.

The instruction manual shows a cable passing under the outside base, but doesn't show or tell where it goes - other than to the power supply. Should it go down through the roof and ceiling next to the antenna base? (This is the same setup.)

If so, will I have to run it across the surface of the ceiling to get it to the power supply in the cabinet? On the attached floor plan, the antenna's ceiling location is at the red "x", and I want to put the power supply on the cabinet at the red mark. The TV is located adjacent to the cabinet on the right where the dashed rectangle is. I won't know what the ceiling is like until I cut the hole.

Here's a link to a PDF of the instructions if you'd care to see what I've got.

Any guidance or advice are always welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jack Base.jpg (64.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Floor Plan.jpg (64.8 KB, 119 views)

Old 02-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #10

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
You have nothing in place now? Did the original antenna have a TV connection? If so is the coax still there going to the old antenna?
Old 02-27-2014, 04:39 PM   #11

SUN #4364
There was never an antenna on this one. There is only a sticker that marks a spot on the ceiling for one. It appears to be a factory original sticker. When I painted, I taped it off and left it there. This will be a brand new installation.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #12

SUN #2097
OK is there a blank plate some where near the location? The reason I ask is because the wiring is there for radio speakers even if it had none and it kind of seems there would be wire for an antenna also it's kind of hard to add it later it would also have to have 12 volt power for the amp.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #13

SUN #4364
Quote:
OK is there a blank plate some where near the location? The reason I ask is because the wiring is there for radio speakers even if it had none and it kind of seems there would be wire for an antenna also it's kind of hard to add it later it would also have to have 12 volt power for the amp.
Not for the TV, no. There is one for the air conditioner, but nothing for a TV. The TV that came with the TT had an under-cabinet unit that the PO slapped in. (I replaced it in kind with a little larger screen.) There never was any pre-wired anything other than lights and 110v outlets - not that I've ever seen anyway. I wouldn't expect any speakers would be allowed for or used in a little 1350. I know it also seems kind of silly to mark the spot and not otherwise be set up for it.

I am hoping to use the ceiling light (that's adjacent to the cabinet) for the 12v power source, but don't know what I should do with the TV cable. Apparently Winegard crank-ups go down through the roof next to the mast, but it has a special mounting plate for it - like this?

The Jack antenna doesn't have that. Then there's the problem of hiding it once it's inside.

I've seen some people stick it down across the roof fore/aft to get to its target (like this guy did), but I don't really want to do that. Is this even a viable/reasonable way of doing it? Could it even be done securely and unobtrusively on an aluminum roof? It seems amateur-ish to me.

I don't really want to run it across the surface of the ceiling either. There has to be a way to do it without looking silly or causing leaks.

Now, what I could potentially do is mount it above the cabinet that I intend to mount the power supply on, and let the cable come down inside the base of the antenna inside the cabinet, and come out alongside the ceiling mounted controls. That would require opening the cabinet to turn the antenna, but that may be the only way I can hide the cable. I would probably have to reinforce the mount location too if I did that.

I plan on getting her out of storage this weekend, and I'll have a better idea what my options are then.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:07 AM   #14

SUN #2097
My T1700 has speaker wires and no speakers they are marked with a little sticker. Mine came with an antenna and I have recently installed a TV. I ran coax to the location for the TV it was not fun the wiring is stapled in place it was quite the effort to locate the staple because the only way I could get the wire in the wall was to use an existing wire to pull it. It would get to the staple and stop. It would seem to me that if the location was marked the cable is there maybe you'll find it when you bore the hole for the mast. I have run wires for solar gear and ham radio stuff inside the vent pipe for the gray tank they usually are in a closet run the wire and fill the hole inside with sealer. The jack antenna looks like it comes with a wall plate the big box stores have a mounting box for low voltage wiring that has no back and is pretty thin it would fit in a ceiling you could put it close to a light for power the only draw back would be the coax for the TV coming from the wall plate.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:49 AM   #15

SUN #4364
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
My T1700 has speaker wires and no speakers they are marked with a little sticker. Mine came with an antenna and I have recently installed a TV. I ran coax to the location for the TV it was not fun the wiring is stapled in place it was quite the effort to locate the staple because the only way I could get the wire in the wall was to use an existing wire to pull it. It would get to the staple and stop. It would seem to me that if the location was marked the cable is there maybe you'll find it when you bore the hole for the mast.
What year is your 1700? My 1350 is an '88. What would disappoint me is if there is no wire or anything behind the 2 1/4" hole in the ceiling.

Quote:
I have run wires for solar gear and ham radio stuff inside the vent pipe for the gray tank they usually are in a closet run the wire and fill the hole inside with sealer. The jack antenna looks like it comes with a wall plate the big box stores have a mounting box for low voltage wiring that has no back and is pretty thin it would fit in a ceiling you could put it close to a light for power the only draw back would be the coax for the TV coming from the wall plate.
Yes, I've used those boxes before - installing IP intercoms at work. I won't be getting her out to check this weekend because we've got some snow/ice chances coming. As much as I'd love the rain/snow, I'd rather punch a hole in the roof and ceiling when it's going to be dry.

Thanks, Tim.
-Dale

Old 02-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #16

SUN #2097
Is that what is required for the antenna a 2 1/2 hole? Mine is a "90" so it's not that much newer. The next question is where is the other end of the coax if you find one? Sounds like you may have some equipment if you did IP phones got a toner? I just did some interior work to mine and I can tell you they assembled the camper from the outside and then put the siding on wiring and every thing there is not much to them it maybe possible to run a fish wire from the ceiling down the wall but probably not side ways they did bore holes through the rafters and studs.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #17

SUN #4364
The instructions say to drill/bore a 2 1/4" hole through the roof and ceiling. Nope, don't have a toner. Wish I did. Maybe I can find a place to stick an inspection mirror or something, too. I can tell this is going to be interesting. The walls and ceiling look pretty decent now, and I certainly don't want to do any unnecessary damage. <G>

For now, I'm going to assume that there is no wiring in place. I'll try to prove myself wrong when I get her out. I guess I can always start by cutting the hole where they say to. If it's a mistake, I can blame Sunline.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:31 AM   #18

SUN #2097
Are you close enough to a light to get power for the amp? I suppose you could mount a feed through "F" connector to the plastic mount. What I have found in mine was metal pipe for some optional wiring maybe you will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #19

SUN #4364
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
Are you close enough to a light to get power for the amp? I suppose you could mount a feed through "F" connector to the plastic mount.
Yes, there is a light right next to the cabinet on the ceiling - literally. I'm thinking I may be able to pass it through inside the ceiling since it's such a short distance - if I need to.

Quote:
What I have found in mine was metal pipe for some optional wiring maybe you will be pleasantly surprised.
That would be great! Even better if it would go to the right spot. If not, I'd have a hole to patch. <G>

Old 03-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #20

SUN #2097
The lighting wiring is daisy chained and if it's loose in the ceiling you maybe able to use one wire as a pull wire to the next light etc. I'm not sure where the metal pipe will get you they seem to be for fan wiring for the vents. If you get to spot where it stops I'll bet on a staple don't loose your pull wire!