Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #1

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Holding tank level LEDs

When filling the fresh water tank I was standing next to the fill port and wondered how much water was in already. I could go inside and check the control panel but wouldn't it be easier to have LEDs closer to the fill port? Then I thought I might be able to parallel LEDs. That would have one set of wires going to the inside factory panel and another set of LEDs that I would locate by the fill port. All of them using the same tank probes. Or should I try to install another level monitor?

What size LEDs would I need?

What is the proper wire size needed?

Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #2

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
You may want to check your documents and see if there is any specs for your monitor. If so it may have wiring diagram and possibly info on the LEDs.

If no info, then you either see if you can find info online.

The other option is to go from scratch and build your own monitor. (Radio Shack or other electronic part supplier such as Auto Zone, Digakey (spelling), McMaster-Carr, etc.)

Pull the monitor from wall and look at wiring. Go larger gauge if you can't guess what is right. Check the voltage of the wire you will tap into and try to match your LED to it. LEDs are very sensitive to voltage. They come in all kinds of voltages. If I remember correctly you can input resistors into the circuit/circuits to help drop voltage to LED.

Mainah I'm sure will be able to be of more help.

What I like about my 1983 T-1550 is that the tank is right by the door under the stove. In addition it has a door that pulls open (pivots down) allowing me to see the port hose line in as well as the tank, thus just watch it fill.

My 1996 T-2053 also has the fill port next to the door under the sink. This has a panel with four screws. If I take this panel off (and I do) I also watch as it fills. I may convert this into a door much like the T-1550 as it is a snap to just pull door open and view. Neither the 1550 nor the 2053 have any electronic monitors, just little old me, which is just fine. One less thing to go wrong. I can do that all by myself!

P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:30 AM   #3

SUN #1830
I think I might have changed my mind on this. Finding a place to put the LEDs would be a problem as much, if not more, than how to put them. It would be nice to be able to simply glance at a spot on the camper and see water levels, without having to run inside and then back outside if adjustments are needed.

The easy way for me on this 2362 seems to be to simply open the storage door closest to the water fill connection. I can then look inside and see the fresh water holding tank and water level. Not much of a inconvenience. I have marked a half-full line on the tank since I never fill over that level. Now I can know level when filling and turn off water at the halfway point. (All similar to how you do it)

If having a LED monitor I think the easy way would be to install a completely separate system with the LEDs mounted in a window and have a switch close to the fill connection that I can turn on the LEDs.

My final choice is simple, free and adequate. Maybe the LEDs would be a choice for someone else.

Thanks for the reply.

Jim
Old 06-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #4

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm kinda fortunate in NOT having any monitors, as, like you I would be scheming on how to get some of the functions not only in the central group as it is but also each with an individual monitor of each respective function at the source.
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:29 PM   #5

SUN #1830
It isn't like I don't have anything else to be doing on this camper so I can daydream about frills, LOLOL!

I will add a LED into the door for the power cord. It will be on all the time the power is on so not so complicated.