Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #21

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
This was backing into a site, not hitching but the result seems the same

My last trip to Old Mill Stream (Lancaster, PA), mdfiregal was telling me to "come back" on the nextel, the three beer can holding experts from the next three sites were all telling to do different things, and I was cautiously watching the four foot diameter tree that was getting way too close for comfort to the passenger side front fender of "MACK" (in her defense, mdfiregal couldn't see it). End result: @#!(&RT!! on the nextel, her sitting cross-legged on the pinic table, me "thanking" the three "experts" for their help, getting out, checking the lay of the land myself and "winging" it into the site.

For those of you familiar with Old Mill Stream, the new sites that are angled back ins are great, except they line up with the big oak tress that line the opposite side of the street

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:04 PM   #22

SUN #287
nickster60
Marshall & Hutch

Tammy my wife and camping partner seems to have the same affliction as your wives. It seems one finger seems to work the best. She does have a couple of other interesting traits. She kind of looks like a exotic bird going thru some mating ritual. Arms flaling, strange head movements and a jerking kind of motion. That is of course when I see her in my mirrors. I havent bought those see behind the trailer models yet.

I thinks she gets it from her mothers side her father has been a truck driver for 40 years. He could back a battleship into a parking space at Walmart. But each time Mom has to guide him and tell him how to do it.

nickster60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:20 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Geesh, sounds like I'm really missing some excitement when backing Sunny in as I'm usually "wingin' it". Mom used to be great at helping me back in, but she is no help anymore. So, I am on my own, don't do too bad though. Of course, backing my bus up is a tad bit easier (it don't bend in the middle)

Hey. maybe I can teach KD how to do "paw-signals "
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:19 AM   #24

SUN #62
rich2500
some good ideas for hitching up,I tried the magnetic rods and they where pretty much a joke,when I had my dodge I got real good at centering it by my tailgate,but now I got to start all over with my ford and it has a bed cover on it so it's gonna be a little tougher,I thought about purchasing one of these[url]http://shop.hensleymfg.com/hitchhelper.html[url]
01 F-250 V-10 4x4 Lariat supercab SB auto 4:30 LS
draw-tite 1200# trunnion wd,friction sway control,prodigy
happy camping Rich,Maryellen,Josh and Jake
https://www.campingpa.com/
rich2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:42 AM   #25

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2500
I thought about purchasing one of these Hensley Hitch Helpers
Rich,

I have one of those Hensley Hitch Helpers. Never used it and probably never will. I'm thinking about putting it on ebay.

Though I do know people that have used it and like it.

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Just a question/thought about that "Hitch Helper" When your moving the tongue of your trailer to the left or right, what is that movement doing to you tires & axles. I'm just wondering "IF" it's putting much stress on these components ? As I see it, the tongue is attached to the frame, the frame attached to the springs/axles, so pretty much a solid unit. And now your attempting to "twist" the tongue sideways without moving the wheels? Just wondering about it Does my question make sense? Please, go easy on me
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:54 AM   #27

SUN #307
purplesuebug
Kitty,
I know I couldn't use it as I would have to un-chuck my wheels and over the hill I would go. It may work on flat ground where the wheels would be able to move back and forth but I can still see a lot of pressure on the springs. Good point......................Marshall
purplesuebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:58 AM   #28

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Kitty,

Yes, it will twist the axles, but I don't think it's designed to stay at one extreme long term. I don't think the 6" of movement either way will damage the axles, but I don't think it's good for them. If anything, it'll only put major strain on the tires. IMO, this is no different than backing the trailer around a corner and parking it. I think you would see the most trouble if your trailer had no tires (just sitting on rims) and you tried to move this thing one way. You would hear major scraping as the rims would be forced to scrape along the pavement.

I face this problem constantly because of the way I park, I have to go around that 90 degree turn and I don't have much room to correct. If I leave it just like it is when I get around the corner, the ODS front tire is beigng pulled out and the ODS rear tire is being pushed in. The same is true for the DS, but the opposite. I usually have to go straight some to correct, but it is difficult because the TV is so far off center from where the trailer is. It usually takes 1-2 times of going back and forth in order to get the tires straight and have the trailer straight on the pad.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:07 PM   #29

SUN #115
emam
Hitching up for me is pretty easy, but what I would like is a back-up monitor for backing into a camp site. With our motorcycle rack hanging almost 3' off the back of our 2499, it's almost impossible to back in to any campsite without having Cindy get out and guide me in.

By now, we've done it enough times that we have a pretty flawless system down. Our problem is when we're pulling into a campground and a camp host wants to back you into the site.

I'm sure this could be a thread all in itself, because I've talked to other couple who have said the same thing. Once you get used to the wife backing you in, others have hand signals and systems that might not be familiar to you. The last time this happened, I finally got out of the truck and said "Listen, I'm really used to my wife's hand signals, do you mind if she backs me in?"

This is the only time we have problems or arguments, especially when other campers get involved and try to help.

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:57 AM   #30

SUN #311
Gaelen
Since I'm a single camper, I really had to figure out how to do this by myself. I discovered that the trailer hitch on the Sunspot would just touch the license plate on my S10 when the ball was perfectly positioned under the hitch. So I line up the S10 fenders with the trailer fenders (truck and trailer are just about the same width) and back up slowly. The first couple of attempts were painful to watch, but eventually I got a lot better at it.

Some people on the teardrop forum do use the truehitchup, though, and really like it.

my Life Out Loud blog
Gaelen is offline   Reply With Quote