Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #1

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
Heater duct routing

I'm doing some modifications to the drawers under the sink of our 2499 and I'm wondering why Sunline routed the heat ducts the way they did. In this photo you can see 3 flexible dryer type ducts:

One is gray, the other two silver (I don't know why they are different colors). One of the silver ducts makes a mild curve as it passes under the sink, but the other two seem extra long and are held up high with straps screwed to the walls. Does anyone know if this was done for a purpose? It seems to me that the best arrangement would be to keep them as short as possible and as straight as possible to aid in the easy flow of air.

Also, I want to move the PEX hoses back a few inches to gain more drawer space, is there any problems that could come about from pushing them a few inches back so they are closer to the fender well?
Thanks,
Rich

vcrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:53 AM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
The heat loss in those things would want me to make them as short and as straight as I could! You can't see them any way. The Pex is tough stuff I see no reason you can move them. Guess they ran out of the silver they are both insulated.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:00 AM   #3

SUN #37
Mainah,
Thanks for the reply, I thought the same thing.
I plan on mounting some rigid foam board to the outside wall (ever notice how cold it is inside the cabinets on a cold day?) and maybe wrapping some insulation around those ducts.
And I will shorten them.
Thanks,
Rich
Old 03-02-2016, 05:33 PM   #4

SUN #5443
krazedave is an unknown quantity at this point
Your idea about the foam board is a great idea but I would not put extra insulation around ducts. The cabinets do get cold but you notice that ducts run next to you water lines. They do give off enough heat to stop the lines from freezing if you do any winter camping. I camp 2 weeks in December for deer hunting and have never had frozen lines. I have had to repair water lines in other campers that had floor ducted heat.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #5

SUN #37
Well, I did not think of that, thanks Dave!
Rich
Old 03-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Rich,

I have a "thought" on the hose types as I see it on mine.

- The long runs, like from furnace all the way to the bedroom, use the gray type hose.

- The short runs use the foil, shinny type.

My thought is the long runs loose less heat in convection off the duct. This way more heat makes it to the end of the run in the room far away from the furnace.

The foil type convect off more. These may run in cabinets to convect off heat along the way. You get both duct heating and convection on the spaces they run through.

In my case I have a 32 foot camper. My long runs start at the furnace, go under the floor into my enclosed tank compartments and then pop up in the bath and the bed room and are the longest runs. Those hoses are the gray covered.

The shorter run under the galley cabinets and under the shower basin are the shiny silver covered hose. These areas can benefit from hose convection.

While both loose heat, the gray may loose less.

My T2499 and the T310 both have this mixture and it seemed way too intentional. After studying it, I came up with the heat convection more or less concept. The long runs had the gray and the short runs under cabinets had the shinny silver.

Does yours have that combo?

On the pex, the only thought is, if the pex will be tight to the fender well guard, put some pipe foam insulation over it. It will help with the road vibration rubbing and if you winter camp, the wheel well gets real cold too so the hose insulation will help address this. I remember winter camping in the T2499 and looked at the wheel well under the fridge, and it had frost on it. After learning more, venting the living room a good full 1" on the roof vent helps lower the overall moisture in the camper and that helped the frost but the fender was still very cold. On the T310 I now vent and use a dehumidifier.

On the pex, try and have the hose gravity drain towards where you will drain it and ideally do not create a natural trap.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:17 AM   #7

SUN #37
All good points John.
I agree there's probably a reason Sunline used two different types of ducting, mine is grey and silver also. I haven't opened the wall panel in the bedroom where the vent is mounted recently, so I can't say for sure that it is the gray one there, but it very well may be. Maybe the gray has insulating qualities that the silver doesn't.
But why they made two of the ducts (one silver, one gray) extra long and then strapped them up almost to the height of the counter top is still a mystery to me. Without a reason to keep it that way, I'm going to shorten them.

The PEX lays flat on the floor (I'd already wrapped them with pipe insulation for sound control when the pump runs) and if it weren't for the tee connections to run the pipes up to the kitchen sink faucets, I'd leave them exactly where they are and they'd be under the bottom drawer, but Sunline made these tee connections directly behind the drawers which causes the vertical pipes to limit the depth of the drawers (there's so much space back there!). I thought about cutting the pipes and relocating the connections, but pushing them straight back far enough (about 3-4") to gain the space I need is a lot easier.

I will make sure there's sufficient insulation between the pipes and the fenderwell. Oh, and I will insulate the fender well too.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 03-03-2016, 05:25 PM   #8

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
My little T1700 has heat in the rear bath well I say heat it has a small duct opening it is not a ducted furnace so to speak it's just joined to the furnace after a fashion yes there is a dribble of heat back there enough for the frost not to stick to the windows! It's duct is all most like a canvas covering.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:33 PM   #9

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Rich,

Here is the gray hose in my 04 T2499

Started at the furnace

Then came out in the bedroom behind the shower water pipe access hole

As far as the high hanging hoses under the sink.... mine had that too. Have no idea as to why. I looked in my pile of pics and did not find one of those hoses. But I did lower them. The only thing I can think of that made some kind of sense was, to keep them away from getting caught up in the back of the drawers. In my case I undid the high hanging as it was starting to crimp one of the hoses.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:56 PM   #10

SUN #37
Yes John, the gray duct does go to the bedroom. The easy way to find that was to look at where the two silver ducts went; One to the kitchen, other to the bath.

After what Dave said about the ducts providing heat for the water lines, I looked it over today and now I'm thinking maybe Sunline wanted to get the ducts closer to the lines going to the faucet and outside shower to keep them from freezing when cold weather camping.

Rich