Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #1

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Generator quieting boxes

I'm not sure if there is a better label for these boxes but I'm referring to those boxes that we can make in order to cover and silence our generators at a camp site.
Keeping in mind they have to breath for fresh air for combustion and exhaust not to mention air flow to allow the air cooling to work...does any one know of a decent box I can build that can kill or at least reduce the generator noise without sacrificing the other air flow characteristics?

I have the Honda EU1000. I have the older unit NOT the newer unit. I know the newer units are super quiet and while my older unit works 100% it's still a little noisy, especially at a camp site.

I thought of all kinds of methods such as Styrofoam and other materials like Roxol, but research told me they're not so sound proof as I believe.

If what I am after is not attainable then I need to know that too.
You know what they say "Happy wife, happy life"

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:56 AM   #2

SUN #3522
PanamaRvers is an unknown quantity at this point
I recently saw a post on YouTube that showed one of these boxes. By listening to the video it seemed to work. It had a fan to push cool/fresh air in and push warm and exhaust out.

I believe the one I saw may have diverted the exhaust, my concern would by heat build up at the place the exhaust/sound was deverted.

2006 Sunline Solaris 2363
PanamaRvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:59 AM   #3

SUN #3522
Old 01-24-2016, 06:33 AM   #4

SUN #6257
Thanks. I have seen many such videos on youtube as well. I think there are as many designs as there are creators.
My son-in-law told about a campsite he came across last year, whereas, the particular campsite was on the edge of a small cliff, (beach down below and campground up above) . The camper had placed his small generator just over the cliff and into a little nook, ran the cables and super silent. That's great but we don't always have those cliffs near by .

AS for me, I haul a smaller trailer so loading the generator is one task, adding that box is another.
Maybe my version would have that box formed into a instant pull-apart with locking clips so it's not so permanent a box (easily portable).
Thanks for your search

Jerry & Debbie
Old 01-24-2016, 01:01 PM   #5

SUN #3522
That was my thought when I first saw this video. Something else to take up more room. I like your idea of a pull apart box.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:41 PM   #6

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Long extension cord?
Old 01-24-2016, 07:37 PM   #7

SUN #6257
That's ok if I'm the only trailer in the park but if I placed that generator too far away, I'm sure I'd be on the neighbor's doorstep. I just wrote to the Honda website and see what they come up with.

Of course they're advertising answer will be "we believe our generators are super quiet and........ "

Jerry & Debbie
Old 01-25-2016, 06:05 AM   #8

SUN #2097
I have an open frame Honda 6000 watt generator and is is far less than quiet. Unless it's in an enclosure of some sort it will be noisy. The beauty of the inverter generators is that they don't have to run at a fixed speed to make power. Most of the generators out there today are two pole generators and have to turn 3,600 RPM to make 60 cycles the inverter units relay on the electronics to make 60 cycles so when the demand is low they don't have to turn very fast. When you load down a little Honda close to it's max they get pretty loud. We have used a 3 sided Styrofoam box with a half lid during music events it helps but I would not call it quiet. I cured my generator noise problem with a 100 watt solar panel! Yeah the only thing I us it for is just to keep the batteries up no A/C or microwave.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:29 AM   #9

SUN #6257
I think the bottom line here is: there IS no real fix. We all have our own remedies, some better than others. The actual physics of the materials needed outweigh the bulk and cost of the intended target.
Basically, it's up to the manufactures to do their thing and truth be known, yes, they have come along way. However, for camp sites there's different levels of definitions for what is considered quiet or not. Many of today's generators are much quieter than old models.
Yuppers, I have an older model. No, I'm not about to buy new because of quiet.

I don't use mine a lot and not for camping YET. I was curious if such a box really existed.
Thanks guys

Jerry & Debbie
Old 01-25-2016, 11:02 AM   #10

SUN #2097
You really pay dearly for the quiet. I have found the Honda 3000 is the quietest of the lot there are two models I think it is the heavier one of the two. That being said people running a generator all night to stay cool deserve to have some one swipe their spark plug while they are gone.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #11

SUN #6257
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
You really pay dearly for the quiet. I have found the Honda 3000 is the quietest of the lot there are two models I think it is the heavier one of the two. That being said people running a generator all night to stay cool deserve to have some one swipe their spark plug while they are gone.
I agree to that. I only use what power is available at electrical sites in any camp ground and if not I'll use my two batteries for limited use those little 12 volts lights at night along with today's Coleman battery powered lights.

I think I've only used our air conditioning maybe once, and even then it wasn't all that necessary.

My only thing is to see what COULD be done as one more back up for powering and emergency at that, The more off the grid a person is, the more conscientious that person would be to use his resources.

My son, son-in-law and I, and maybe grandkids, are planning a guy's weekend in the back boonies for a one or two night stay with the TT. This would just be a fun project and that we could create. Who wants to hear a generator when you'd rather hear crickets? Longer heavy duty extension cords and a silencer

Hence is why I'm thinking about a silencer...of sorts. Just thinking and dreaming, not much more. I doubt I'd ever use it in an actual campground (great way to lose friends)

Jerry & Debbie
Old 01-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #12

SUN #2097
If you are in the willy wags the noise is all yours if you can stand it run it! If you have batteries enough an hour or two will charge your batteries if you have a modern charger in your camper. I go for at least a week at a time up to the Gaspésie and get by just fine with my solar panel.