Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #1

SUN #2903
Kenneth is an unknown quantity at this point
Flooring Mod

Hello all,
My wife and I have been sitting here talking about a possible mod for our 2003 T-2570. We are thinking about taking out the bench seats and table, replacing the flooring with laminate in the kitchen and living area, and putting in a small kitchen table and chairs. Has any one done anything like this? I was just wondering how it worked out for you if you did. The reason for the new floor is I have a small soft spot in the floor at the entry door of the kitchen. I figured I had to pull up the floor at that spot and replace the sub floor so I would replace the linoleum with laminate. removing the bench seats is just for a little bit more room. Any thoughts, suggestions, opinions, and ideas are welcome.
Thank you
Ken

Old 03-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #2

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
We did the laminate flooring after repairing two soft spots in the floor, one of which was near the door. The door soft spot was caused by the underlayment not resting on the side framing, i.e. the edge of the underlayment wasn't supported. Sistered in another 1" by 3" to support the edge. We went with laminate because the vinyl shrunk a good 1" TO 1 1/2" and couldn't be reused.

Here is a picture of the new laminiate:

We also replaced the plastic molding with cherry quarter round moulding.

There was a thread on here about removing replacing a dinette with table and chairs. Try searching the mods section.

Mack

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
The frames of your bench seats are attached to the wall from the outside. I had a '94 T-2160 with the dinette and decided to do what you are contemplating. The dinette being attached from the outside left me little choice about how to remove it. I had to end up basically destroying the dinette bench and then cutting/grinding off the screws that stuck thru the wall. I then added a piece of bead board paneling to the wall to "hide" the damage.

I loved the change once I got it finished. I did not replace the floor, as I was able to push the vinyl back down into the screw holes, and a little caulk/glue took care of the holes. Once I put the chair in there, no one knew that it did not come that way.

Well, Sunline Fan would have know "if" he had ever seen it.

I felt that it made the trailer much more user friendly without the bench seat, BUT you do lose some storage space.

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #4

SUN #2903
Kenneth is an unknown quantity at this point
I Think we are going for it. I will start the project this spring. I will keep you posted on the progress, Thank you for your reply's I was wondering about the soft spot by the door I have not seen any signs of water damage it will be interesting to see if that is the cause. We are hoping it gives us more room and is more user friendly I was thinking about losing the storage but I think we will be OK its just the 2 of us and there is quite a bit of other storage. Thank you again for your reply's
Ken
Old 03-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #5

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Ken when you do the project take before an aft pics and post them.....we love seeing stuff like that!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote