Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #1

SUN #597
henryj
Flip Foot for Electric Tongue Jacks

Our new trailer came with an electric tongue jack and I've used it enough to see the drawbacks. I always wondered why electric jacks didn't have a foot. Well... turns out they do, but it's so cumbersome--and fills up with rain water--that everybody just carries a stack or big block of wood. One of the nice things about a new trailer--besides the clean white roof--is the opportunity to start doing mods all over again.

I got the idea for the Flip Automatic Jack Foot from another forum. Somehow it didn't seem to be worth the $50+ that most websites were listing it for. But... it's on sale at TSC for $30 and that's worth it. TSC only sells the one size that fits a 2 1/4" upper outside tube/2" lower inside tube. I wish they would specify just the lower tube as that's where Flip goes, but the front of the box says 2 1/4" while the back says 2"... go figure. It was confusing enough I went back to our campground to check the Internet and then back again to TSC. The installation was much simpler than the purchase.

On my Atwood jack, the factory hole for the standard foot is too low for Flip. The jack does not retract flippin high enough to Flip flip back out of the way. Flip comes with a 3/16ths template pilot hole so lining things up to drill into the lower tube is a no brainer. Fastway warns that on some jacks it's necessary to saw off the bottom of the inner tube if it doesn't retract high enough. Luckily I didn't have to do that as that would be a major pain. You can see in the first photo... the lower hole is factory, the upper is Flip's--a circular ring/mark/whatever between the 2 holes indicates the height to which the Atwood retracts. The holes are 1/2" so there's about 1" of the lower tube protruding when the jack is fully retracted. That's important because that's the acceptable limit for Flip to still fully retract without sawing off the bottom of the lower tube. Fastway does sell extra washers to fit between Flip and the bottom of the upper tube. The washers can be stacked up to provide fine tuning, but it's best to saw off the right amount in the first place--if that's necessary--as extra washers will make Flip hang lower.

I found it really easy to drill the 3/16ths pilot hole using a corded 1/2" drill. I had a really dull 1/2" bit though, so I stepped up the hole using two more larger bits ending with 7/16ths. Then the dull 1/2" managed to finish it off. Certainly no need to remove the jack and use a drill press and Flip's 3/16ths pilot perfectly aligns the two holes on opposite sides of the tube.

Flip--and Equal-i-zer hitches--are made by Progress Mfg. so this is a quality product with smooth welds and excellent paint. It does have a 1400 lb. limit which I trust still allows for lifting the rear of the truck on our 1000 lb. tongue. On backward sloping sites where the tongue needs to drop really low for levelling, Flip can be held in the retracted position and dropped onto a block of wood. Flip works very smoothly--as advertised--in my driveway and I look forward to the next trip.

Henry

Flip fastens loosely to the upper hole using a bolt and locknut just snug enough to allow everything to slide easily.

Flip fully retracted. Note the large washer between Flip and the outer tube of the Atwood.

Flip almost down. Note how the washer rotates around the curve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030540.jpg (37.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1030539.jpg (43.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P1030536.jpg (42.5 KB, 9 views)

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Henry,

I have seen them advertized, just never up close. They look like a clever idea. And with a 1,400# rating should fit a lot of campers.

I'm assuming in your last pick that the flip is not yet fully seated in the locked position? I thought they folded flat agasint the jack tube.

You also mentioned about power tongue jacks not coming with a foot, I did not find that to be the case with the 2 Atwwod tonuge jacks I have bought as aftermarket. Atwood supplied them. The Atwood one is round and semi big. Maybe your dealer never got it or it some how was lost before you picked up the camper. I myself do not like that round style as I have a preconcioved notions I can bend the jack tube easier with the trailer moving front to back, so I changed it out to a rectangular one with a taper on all 4 sides. And a hole drilled in it to let the water out. Your right, it did not come that way.

Thanks for sharing. Always good to see and hear about new things

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #3

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Our Barker (sp) came with a foot also.
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #4

SUN #597
henryj
I guess I didn't say it very well--our Atwood did come with a foot. I was merely pointing out my preference, and that of many other campers, to use a block of wood instead. I think the Flip foot is a better solution.

John, the base of Flip is just touching the ground in the last photo--the bolt is still at the top of its slot. I was expecting to have to hold Flip straight, but as the jack tube continues down, the bolt follows the cutout and completely straightens the foot. Flip does fit square or round tubes.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote