Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-14-2017, 09:15 PM   #1

SUN #9129
mcj7247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Endo/Boroscope Recommendations

Anyone have any experience or a recommendation for a boroscope or endoscope to check for water damage?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

Old 10-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Mark,

WOW... these newer bore scopes keep getting cheaper and better. That link you sent, for $38 bucks looks like a great deal for what it is doing.

Now to, can it help on inspecting for water damage? I have an older bore scope and it cost a whole lot more then the smart phone adapter ones. Technology advances...

See here where I am using it http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...elp-17689.html

I have tried to use it in the ceiling to look for water damage. Took down the shower steam dome inside and that exposed the insulated attic. Then I put the semi flexible camera probe into the attic. Unfortunately all I was able to see was a lot off pink... The insulation was so thick and filled the space I really could not see a lot other then pink. The energizer bunny would be proud

It saved the day on the open black tank looking for pipe connections, but going into an insulation packed area, wall, floor or ceiling I have not had much luck to have it help.

Back in the industrial world we used these a lot inside machines and pipes etc but they where always areas that where not packed tight with something like batt insulation.

The one you linked, I do not know about the quality, but the features it has is awesome. First off waterproof probe, the stiffer self supporting cable is a need verses just a wire cable that is limp all over and the video is nice. It will be a handy tool and the price is great. I just have not figured out how to use it with an insulation packed cavity, yet anyway.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:23 PM   #3

SUN #9129
mcj7247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
WOW... these newer bore scopes keep getting cheaper and better. That link you sent, for $38 bucks looks like a great deal for what it is doing.
Since it uses the phones display, which these days are really great, the prices have come way down. This camera has a 1.5" to 2.5" focal distance so I'm hoping it can provide some good close up detail. It won't be much good for anything else though. The frame rate is extremely slow at the highest resolution so it needs to be held still for a few seconds to get a clear image. It also has a 90 degree tip that might be really useful. I'll let you know how well it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Unfortunately all I was able to see was a lot off pink... The insulation was so thick and filled the space I really could not see a lot other then pink.

It saved the day on the open black tank looking for pipe connections, but going into an insulation packed area, wall, floor or ceiling I have not had much luck to have it help.
I'd like to take a peak at the underside of the floor in the bathroom with the toilet removed and wondered if there is insulation between and around the black tank and the floor? It looks like from some of the pics that there is just open air space under the floor but It's hard to tell. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks Mark
Old 10-16-2017, 11:33 AM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj7247 View Post
It also has a 90 degree tip that might be really useful. I'll let you know how well it works.

I'd like to take a peak at the underside of the floor in the bathroom with the toilet removed and wondered if there is insulation between and around the black tank and the floor? It looks like from some of the pics that there is just open air space under the floor but It's hard to tell. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks Mark
The 90 degree tip is helpful. A for sure need at times. It does not always work right but when it does, it is useful.

Not knowing which year/model floor you are referring to, the newer campers did have insulation in the floor. 2004 and up for sure but I suspect all the way back into the early 90's. I have seen repairs pics from others doing floor repairs that had insulation in the floor.

On my 2004 T-1950 once I pulled the black dump pipe out under the toilet, I can see the top of the black tank around the hole in the Darco.

See pics here. I'm using a mirror down the hole in the floor looking at the floor bottom after I yanked out the insulation. This link should drop you in the right reply to show the toilet hole.
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...tml#post137551

And this one. The floor structure in this 1950 is 2 x 3" standing up 2" side leaving a 3" nominal air space. 2 3/4 to 1/2" I think actually. Scroll down through that link as it too will drop you into the right reply and it will show the floor joists exposed.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...tml#post137579

I have seen some of the 90's campers with the 2 x 3 laying flat on the 3" side so that floor would only have 1 1/2" air space.

Here is an 02 T2753 bath floor repair. This one looks like the 2 x 3's are laying on the 2" side with the 3" air space.
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...air-14347.html

And here is Kitty and Garys, T2653 Advancer floor rebuild, a 90's something camper. These are 2 x 3's and the 3" is laying flat with a 1 1/2" air space. I do not recall what year that camper was and if the Advancer model had much to do with the 2 x 3's or that was just what they used in the floor back then
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...avy-14275.html

It seems pending year, you might have 1 1/2" air space, or a 2 1/2" air space. And yes, the borescope camera can see into that area. The insulation would need to get pulled out and you can through the toilet flange hole. The bore scope with the 90 degree mirror could help here.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote