Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-14-2019, 08:36 PM   #1

SUN #11500
ElGordo is an unknown quantity at this point
Electrical Power System in my Trailer

So I took a peek at the fuse box and there appears to be 2 15 amp breakers, I'm guessing that means I have two 15 amp circuits through the trailer. My real question is that coming out of the fuse box is about a 5-10 foot black cord with a standard 3 prong power (think the end of an extension cord). Is that normal?

My other question is, does it make sense to cut the cable shorter and install a standard 30 (or higher) amp plug (the kind that dryers use) and maybe add another 2 circuits?

Old 08-15-2019, 07:33 AM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
The plug is RV specific it is a 30 amp 120 volt NEMA#TT30P A range/dryer plug is a 240 volt plug so if it gets plugged into a 240 volt outlet bad things will happen fast. The cable has to be rated 30 amps and will be a #10 wire generally RV cords are 25'. With 2 15 amp breakers it is possible to draw 30 amps not likely but possible. If you add circuits that means you can add loads and make it even more likely to exceed the 30 amp limit. Usually an RV has two breakers one 15 amp the other 20 for an AC unit you could use a standard 120 volt cord cap but that would limit you to 15 amps current rating or 20 with a 20A specific plug then you would need a 20 amp outlet to plug into.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #3

SUN #2366
j52wf is an unknown quantity at this point
If I read his post correctly, he has a cord (like an extension cord) with a female end on it coming out of his converter box. Not the RV shore power line. A picture would be a big help for clarification.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:55 AM   #4

SUN #2097
That is what I gathered also my guess someone drove off with the original cord still attached. Proper 25' replacement runs around $50. The load center is also wired differently than a normal house box because it is considered a sub panel the neutral and the grounds are not landed together. The cord he has would be a male cord cap otherwise he would not be able to plug it into any thing.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #5

SUN #2366
j52wf is an unknown quantity at this point
This cord is only 5-10' long and is inside the camper. I think it was for plugging something into it, hence a female end. Need to see a picture.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #6

SUN #2097
Your load center (breaker box) should have a 25' power cord attached to it it will be a heavy black cord inside a 6X6" access door on the outside of the camper. If it's not there it is possible someone drove off with it still attached ran over it with a lawn mower or some other mishap you kind of need it if you want 120 volt power. It's pretty big a good 1/2" diameter and it should have a large plug on it that will only plug into a 30 amp 120 volt outlet but don't despair there is an adapter you can buy that will allow you to use your home outlet at a lower current rating. Let us know if you find it.

Tags
electrical, help?!