Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-05-2017, 08:06 PM   #1

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
Did the axle flip!

Spent a few hours on Saturday installing the axle flip kit on our T-2499 and we're looking forward to no more scraped driveways or twisted stabilizer jacks. (I will have to be a little more cautious about overhangs though!)

One thing I thought odd about the Dexter kit K7138400, was the fact that the "U" bolts were thinner than the factory ones I removed. About .070" thinner. And those were probably Chinese parts since that's what the axles are.

The holes in the axle tubes where the brake wire exited on one axle was so close to the hex spacer supplied in the kit that I had to grind the top of the spacer to a more round profile to keep the corners from digging into the wires. Next job will be to run new wires outside the axle tubes. Our old 2470 developed a short when the rust inside the axle tube wore away the insulation after 23 years of use, and when I tilted the axles on this job, rusty water trickled out from the holes. So that's a problem in the making on any wires that run through the axle tubes.

Finally, I need to adjust my Reese hitch bar to accommodate the increased 4" height before we head out to Pine Grove Furnace next Friday. Eeking out the last camping trips of the year now.
Rich

vcrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:46 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Good deal Rich!

Yes, the wires in the axle tubes are not a long term solution. Between the wire itself getting brittle and cracking and then the rust grinding where the wire comes out the hole, it is only time before a problem will rear it's ugly head.

Enjoy your "lack" of "bump" clearance

Odd on the U bolts being thinner. The kit I bought a while ago they did not have that issue. Now thinking on this, that may have been 8 to 10 years ago and the kit was for the 5,200# axles. ... The manufacturing site may have changed since then.

Have a good campout this coming weekend. We too are trying to get out if the weather cooperates.

Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:50 AM   #3

SUN #37
Here's the before and after photos I tried unsuccessfully to include with my original post yesterday. The driveway is sloped on the after photo, so the front looks way higher than it would be on level ground, but it still looks to me like I haven't let it down off the jack! I'll have to get used to it. (I'll also have to get a step ladder to reach anything up high now!)

Rich
Old 11-06-2017, 05:29 AM   #4

SUN #128
Tweety
You'll love that extra 4". Interested in your cover. Is it a permenant structure?
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #5

SUN #37
Hi Pam,
That is a carport, the kind you'd buy at Harbor Freight, but I raised and lengthened mine to accommodate the camper. You can see the lower supports that are silver, it had to go up about 36" and I lengthened it about 4'.
I'm pretty sure it will still fit with the 4-1/2" increased height. It can be taken down and relocated if necessary.

The photo shows the roof covering in place, there are side curtains also which are in place now. Keeps the camper clean all winter!
Rich
Old 11-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #6

SUN #9658
Jtrobbins13 is an unknown quantity at this point
That looks great! I can not wait to get mine done in early spring before the 18' camping season starts... I mentioned in a different thread that although I consider myself handy, this axle flip project intimidates the heck out of me so I got a quote from a local RV shop to do it for me... We have a nasty incline leaving our stone driveway and we bottom out the rear bumper pretty hard every time we leave, so bad that I had to get a running start last trip otherwise it would have stopped the truck, lol...
Old 11-07-2017, 08:44 AM   #7

SUN #37
JT,
It's not a difficult job, of course that depends on your mechanical experience, tools available and your ability to wrestle with some weight. My axles are not too heavy, maybe each end was 35# and I only had to lift one side at a time.

I left the wires connected, dropped the spring eyes at the front so the axles could be moved to the front of the camper which is the direction the wires are coming from, so there's no pulling against them. Do unbolt them from the chassis to give you the slack you'll need. You might even want to consider clipping them and running new wires outside the axle tubes (to the rear to keep them out of the way of flying stones etc.) to avoid having a short sometime in the future when the insulation wears through from chafing against the rusty inside of the tube. Use good, waterproof connectors.

A floor jack is a big help, but once you've unbolted the axles and rolled them away from the springs, just bolt the springs back up and follow the instructions for setting up the spacers. They want the tops of the new spacers to be very closely parallel to the factory welded pad to keep the axles in the correct rotational position.
Wishing you well,
Rich
Old 11-10-2017, 06:59 AM   #8

SUN #9658
Jtrobbins13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks, I am what I consider pretty mechanically inclined, I work on all our vehicles myself... Self taught mostly simply for economic reasons, lol, I refer to myself as a "YouTube mechanic" LOL... It's mostly the intimidation factor that is getting to me, I mean I would physically be removing the very thing that makes an RV an RV and not a pile of wasted metal and wood on the side of the road, LOL... I got a quote of $400 from the local RV shop that my friends and family have used in the past for service and inspection, so to me $400 is worth the piece of mind that a person who specializes in RV's did the work... Trust me it is killing me though cause if there is one thing I am is cheap, lol, I would much rather spend the $100 or so in parts then $400... I just picked up a new tow vehicle this week, going from a 1500 gas truck to a 2500 Diesel so needless to say this axle flip is more of a necessity now then ever...
Old 11-10-2017, 07:49 AM   #9

SUN #37
$400.00 includes the parts? So approximately $300.00 in labor. It took me about 3-1/2 hrs. to do the job. If it takes you about the same, that's about $86.00/hr. for your time. (they'll do it in less). So it depends on what the cost means to you, the peace of mind of having the job guaranteed by an RV shop, and the enjoyment and satisfaction (or not) of doing it yourself.
I've already had trailer suspensions apart to replace springs, install wet bolt kits etc, so I kind of enjoyed doing the work myself and having the satisfaction of knowing exactly how it all went, but I can understand how you would feel about the shop doing it.
Either way, from what they tell me, it's a worthwhile mod. I'll find out for myself today as we head out on one of our last weekend camping trips this year
Rich
Old 11-11-2017, 07:33 AM   #10

SUN #128
Tweety
Hope you enjoy Pine Grove Furnace! We love that park! As a bonus, one of our members - CrazyDave - has been the host there several times when we were camping.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:37 PM   #11

SUN #37
We always enjoy our stay at Pine Grove Furnace, we like the woodsy feel which is because many of the sites back to woods where you don't see much of the other campers. With our T-2499's large back window, that's a plus!

Anyway, we did enjoy our stay this past weekend, but this was a cold one! Friday night dipped to about 19 degrees, Saturday was no higher that 36, but today as we left it was about 10 degrees warmer. We enjoyed a barbecue last night (ate inside of course, didn't even hang the awning lights and I don't know why I even bothered to open it up as ice fell from it as I did) and we enjoyed a mini campfire with smore's, but other than that we spent most of the time inside with the heat cranked up!

On the axle flip, it was windy on Friday, so it was hard to tell how it was handling, but on the way back today, no wind and it felt the same as when it was stock height. Good not to worry about scraping the pavement anymore.

One more thought, it may be a little easier to adjust the brakes now since the leaf springs are out of the way now. It seemed before that it was a bit of a struggle to maneuver the adjusting tool to get enough room to swing it.

Oh and CrazyDave, I remember the first time we met him, he was the camp host and we mentioned the Sunline club and next year, there he was at Buttonwood!

Rich
Old 11-14-2017, 01:03 PM   #12

SUN #9129
mcj7247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrt View Post
Hi Pam,
That is a carport, the kind you'd buy at Harbor Freight, but I raised and lengthened mine to accommodate the camper. You can see the lower supports that are silver, it had to go up about 36" and I lengthened it about 4'.
I'm pretty sure it will still fit with the 4-1/2" increased height. It can be taken down and relocated if necessary.

The photo shows the roof covering in place, there are side curtains also which are in place now. Keeps the camper clean all winter!
Rich
Rich,
I have lots of trees in my yard and I love the carport idea as a temporary protective shelter. Any chance you can provide a link to the specific item you purchased? What did you use for leg extensions? Thanks for the helpful info

Mark
Old 11-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #13

SUN #37
Mark,
You can search for them at Home Depot and Harbor Freight to name a few, but like mine, you'll be making a fair amount of modifications to get a travel trailer to fit.
Here's one:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/ShelterL...3529/202934564

You can also buy them in larger sizes, but they cost more.
Here's one for an RV:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ic-garage-peak

I used 2-1/2" EMT to make 10 36" extensions, I had to do some welding to add a set screw and a base plate to each extension. All side walls are x-braced with cables and turnbuckles and I used 5 ratchet straps on each side staked to the ground for some wind insurance.
I also had to get some extra vinyl to stitch additions into the covering.
It was a lot of work, but I didn't want to spend thousands to have one.
Rich
Old 11-22-2017, 04:20 PM   #14

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rich,
I have the same setup. I drove pipes into ground several feet, trimmed off the mushroomed top from driving pipe into ground. No tie downs needed. Then I slid carport legs into pipes and used self tapping screws to hold them in place. I also used self tapping screws on all joints. This frame has been in place thru at least six hurricanes which I removed canvas for. I have since fastened 6 foot high chain link fencing between the legs that is simply fastened in place with mechanics wire twisted in place. This chain link fabric has the carport very sturdy and secures the camper from peepers. I have also installed a 20 x 20 tarp instead of the normal 10 x 20. The extra down the sides helps a lot.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:24 AM   #15

SUN #9404
RWiseman is an unknown quantity at this point
Softcover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrt View Post
Here's the before and after photos I tried unsuccessfully to include with my original post yesterday. The driveway is sloped on the after photo, so the front looks way higher than it would be on level ground, but it still looks to me like I haven't let it down off the jack! I'll have to get used to it. (I'll also have to get a step ladder to reach anything up high now!)

Rich
Where did you get that soft cover, I would like one of those.