Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #1

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Dash Cam tidbit

I know this doesn't have much to do with trailers or towing, but necessity is the mother of invention. Of course this concept is not new. I added some soft rubbers for the bottom portion that sits on the dash. Those should act as shocks for vibrations.
When my wife and I go camping we tend to travel some of the back roads after we park our trailer in the campground we like to explore and get to know more of our northern area.

I took our little Sony Digital Video Camera and held it on the dash only to capture parts of the back roads, you know those roads that have character and seldom travelled etc. This camera is older by today's standards because it uses a digital video TAPE. But the puppy still works and shoots great videos, just not in HD.
When driving and holding the video camera as steady as I could and even though my camera has an image stabilizer, I could still notice some UN-SMOOTH video. I had one of those pop-ups in my head (the only place where I allow pop-ups )

Every camera has those 1/4-20 threads in the bottom, typically for your regular tripod. I already had one of those extension pieces commonly found at Walmart. I had a few "L" brackets as left over parts in my shop. One thing led to another with my creation. At the end of the brackets I installed suction cups to stick on the inside of my windshield. Not just to capture the country side but what if a moose or bear or other wild animal crossed my path, I'd be able to capture it. This year we drove through our campground to show the family at home. None of us had been to this campground before. I already had everything on hand except I have to buy bigger and better suction cups. Cheaper than a GoPro.
Turn the camera on and hit the remote control to record. No more shake and now hands free. If I capture nothing I simply rewind the tape and start over again. or leave it on pause but sometimes I can't hear it when it times out. It's not pretty but it works
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0408.jpg (99.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0409.jpg (97.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0410.jpg (111.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0411.jpg (99.5 KB, 2 views)

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:53 AM   #2

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's what my home brew dash cam mount looks like after install. The suction cups keeps things steady and up right but 99% of the camera's weight sits on the dash. I also added rubber bumpers to soften the bumps. I can still use the remote control for rec-pause rewind and stop. There have been many times where we have been off the beaten trail and want to keep those memories alive. Great for severe winter driving if you feel the need to record for severe weather and road conditions.

Since all cameras have those 1/4-20 mount holes, you can also attach your POS or DSLR and shoot video or click for snap shots
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0414.jpg (73.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0415.jpg (73.4 KB, 2 views)

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #3

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice job Jerry, thanks for posting the details AND the pictures.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #4

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice job Jerry, thanks for posting the details AND the pictures.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote