Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-16-2006, 01:30 AM   #1

SUN #10
wagonman76
Custom Disc Brakes

I converted my Sunline to electrohydraulic disc brakes. The trailer came with a Hayes 2500# axle, which is a really odd setup, so I decided to make a custom brake setup. This was winter 2002/2003.

The backing plate was welded to the axle flange, and the brake pivots and stops were part of the flange. Nasty old drum brakes.

So I ground off the plates and pivots, except for one pivot point, which would carry some load of the new caliper plates. Then I drilled and tapped for my new caliper plates.

Heres the back of the old drum. Looks perfect for carrying a rotor on the backside through the studs, like UPF does with their disc brakes.

I had the drums plasma cut from the hubs, and then I turned the hubs clean. Then I filled in the space from the old stud heads with 13/16" round stock held in by metal epoxy, ground smooth. Then I reamed through both for the new longer studs. The perfect studs came from a 60s Chevy work truck. The rotors, the largest diameter I could fit beneath my 14" wheels and the lowest hat height to clear the trailer frame, came from a late 80s Grand Prix.

Some grease on the studs, and some old lugnuts, and the studs pulled right into place and the assemblies fit nicely. At this time I also installed new bearings and races and seals. I had to mix and match parts to get what I needed, but all the bearing parts are available.

Here is the first plate. Grade 8 bolts hold everything.

Here is the 2nd plate. Between the grade 8 bolts, and the way the plate is nested tight against the axle flange, the plate is not going anywhere.

A dry fit of the hub and rotor proves good engineering. The counterbored bolts in the first plate just clear the back of the hub as planned.

A dry fit of the caliper. Everything lines up. The calipers are from a Pontiac 6000.

Fast forward a few years, through a divorce, and other issues, and waiting for a good deal on a Hydrastar, and I finally finished the brakes this summer 2006. The hoses and brackets are from an Astro van. Everything fits perfectly.

A shot of the disc brakes beneath the wheels.

I got my Hydrastar on Ebay for $128, normally a $500-$800 item. Used, but it works great, and wiring it wasnt hard to do. I plumbed and bled the lines, and the brakes work excellent, much better than the old electric drums. I took it for a few test drives. These brakes practically stop the rig on a dime.

We are taking the Sunline out in late September 2006 for a week long trip. First time itll have been used by me outside of the driveway.

1989 Sunline Saturn T-1661
wagonman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:19 PM   #2

SUN #34
Divebmbr
That is a great job. Those brakes are so nice I'd probably ride the brake all the way to the campsite just to use them more.

Sounds like you might have some time to do some camping. Good luck, and you won't catch me tailgating you. I couldn't stop fast enough.

Reese DC
Divebmbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:09 PM   #3

SUN #52
sunline1950
Great information, thanks so much for posting all of the details! That is what is so great about this forum.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
WOW I missed this thread. Great job. I think it is safe to say you can stop well!!!

Thanks for sharing

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote