Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #1

SUN #1030
paulr
Convert to a wet bath?

Hello all, had a chance to take the little Saturn camping this weekend to mammoth cave for three days to see if I could live with all the changes I have made to it and I have to say I loved it, the memory foam mattress is more comfortable than my bed at home and the lcd tv is perfect, BUT, I know everyone has a but and I have a big one ( Ha, ha, ) the bathroom just will not work for me, I weigh 210 and Im almost 5 11" and I have been know to work out with weights, so to say that the bathroom is a little small for me would be an understatement, let me explain, to sit on my tiny little toilet and put my socks on ( what did you think I was sitting on the toilet for?) I have to leave the door open because I simply will not fit in the bathroom with it closed, well not sitting any way, and the shower is an impossibility even with the door open, so I ran across this website Wet Bath Conversion and I like the way it looks and I think it would solve both of my problems. I think I would like to remove the shower pan, then make a new pan that is the size of the bathroom and place the toilet in the center. What are some of the pros and cons of a wet bath and would one even need a shower inside? I have thought about an out door shower for boon docking. If I do away with the shower, would that make the rv less desirable to a future buyer if I ever decided to sell the rv and buy a bigger one?
I am still in the thinking stage of this project and would love to hear all the water cooler talk so to speak.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #2

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
One problem with the little trailers is that they are designed for a family with kids. We reconfigured our Sunline for two travelers beginning by making the dinette large enough for two. We used the shortening of the dinette to expand the bathroom.

I haven't considered how I might do it in your rig's floor plan, but in our 15.5 foot trailer we expanded our bathroom. In ours we built it out 5 inches towards our kitchen counter and extended it about 18 inches towards the front, shortening the dinette bench on one side.

Ginny thought the best part of the bathroom expansion was the addition of a plastic bubble over the new wet shower which apparently visually expanded and brightened the place for her.

Before we reduced the dinette and expanded the bathroom, we used to have a curtain that created a curtained semi-circle around the bathroom door, providing a private dressing area. I think if you look under files and Preparing a 1982 Sunline you may see a photo of the track and tied back curtain.

I might also mention that when we started RVing I was 6'1" and weighed 240. After 9 years of RVing I'm down to 185 (still 6'1"). My doctor says he tells unhealthy patients to buy an RV and get on the road.

Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #3

SUN #517
luvrque
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulr View Post
Hello all, had a chance to take the little Saturn camping this weekend to mammoth cave for three days to see if I could live with all the changes I have made to it and I have to say I loved it, the memory foam mattress is more comfortable than my bed at home and the lcd tv is perfect, BUT, I know everyone has a but and I have a big one ( Ha, ha, ) the bathroom just will not work for me, I weigh 210 and Im almost 5 11" and I have been know to work out with weights, so to say that the bathroom is a little small for me would be an understatement, let me explain, to sit on my tiny little toilet and put my socks on ( what did you think I was sitting on the toilet for?) I have to leave the door open because I simply will not fit in the bathroom with it closed, well not sitting any way, and the shower is an impossibility even with the door open, so I ran across this website Wet Bath Conversion and I like the way it looks and I think it would solve both of my problems. I think I would like to remove the shower pan, then make a new pan that is the size of the bathroom and place the toilet in the center. What are some of the pros and cons of a wet bath and would one even need a shower inside? I have thought about an out door shower for boon docking. If I do away with the shower, would that make the rv less desirable to a future buyer if I ever decided to sell the rv and buy a bigger one?
I am still in the thinking stage of this project and would love to hear all the water cooler talk so to speak.
Removing the shower or even a wet bath as you stated would make it less desirable to almost any future buyer.........IMHO

2007 Que RE
2011 Tahoe LTZ.
https://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...orums/Qsig.jpg
luvrque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:24 AM   #4

SUN #128
Tweety
You have the little tiny shower in the corner right? Personally I would convert to the wet bath. Even being a small person I wouldn't use that corner shower, but I would shower in a larger wet bath. You've done a beautiful job with your remodel. JMHO
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:04 AM   #5

SUN #517
luvrque
I just saw your thread on your 1986 sunline saturn remodel, you did a GREAT job......
So now seeing what you did & it being a older TT ....I say just make the bath any way YOU WANT (so YOU can enjoy it) and DON'T think about if & when you may sell it.

There will always be someone that will buy a older TT for the right price (like you did I guess) no matter what you do to the shower.
Keep up the good work..

2007 Que RE
2011 Tahoe LTZ.
https://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...orums/Qsig.jpg
luvrque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #6

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
With respect to future purchasers, we converted our wet shower to a dry shower and in general people still wanted to buy it.

We were often approached by people wanting to buy our trailer, in part because small, light trailers are really rare, ours was set up for two people and we come in contact with a lot of people (Escapees) who like to travel (not generally weekend campers) and we were set up to travel.

I think one must configure their trailer for their needs. This is easier to do in an older, relatively inexpensive trailer. I think you'll find you have a very saleable trailer when your done. Your trailer redo has been impressive.

In the end it is thru the willingness to step out of boundaries that we improve everything. You seem to do that well. Keep up the good work.
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #7

SUN #1030
paulr
As always, when I ask a question here I get the advice of sages. I am going to convert to a wet bath or try, I know as much about fiberglass as I do brain surgery, but I feel better knowing that the collective better known as the sunline owners club will be here to fill in the gaps with all the obscure questions that I will be asking soon and thank you all for the kind words, we have worked hard on the camper so no matter where we go were home.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
Kat

SUN #1203
Kat is an unknown quantity at this point
Paul,

Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents. When I bought this unit, I tried the shower on for size. I am 4 ft 11, and it was just fine....except I didn't close the door.

This weekend we were going to attend my husband's family reunion and he needed to freshen up a bit. He is disabled and I usually give him a sponge bath, but decided he needed a little more due to the heat. I brought his shower stool - that was a huge laugh, it filled the whole tub. So I went out and bought a small stool. Put hubby on it. Man that is what I call a shower full. Hubby is 6 ft 5 inches, but due to illness only weighs 179.....let's just say, sponge baths are the way to go for him....or take him outside and wash he and his wheelchair at the same time.

I wish you well with your conversion, may you have room to put your socks on soon.

Kat