Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
apackoftwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 721
SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Bullet Screen Door Latch

During my shakedown cruise I discovered how completely inadequate those plastic screen door handles are at keeping the door shut and John suggested a "Bullet" latch

Did a Goggle search and found several places to order....Here is one that was the cheapest

I am ordering one
__________________

__________________

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
kanyonkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 2,289
SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
That should fix your problem, Joan. Glad you are "learning" all the ins & outs of your Sunline.

You want to keep your door shut by using a better latch and I keep trying to think how I can teach the greyhounds to let themselves in & out as long as the X-Pens are up. But, a couple obstacles, they need to understand that they can't do this if the X-pens aren't up, and they must "close" the door when entering or exiting. HAHA, now wouldn't that be some neat tricks.

Kitty
__________________

__________________
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
apackoftwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 721
SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Now all I have to do to figure out how to install....I am not getting it for some reason? It's much different than the stock one I have now. Does anyone have a picture of one they installed on their screen door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyonkitty View Post
That should fix your problem, Joan. Glad you are "learning" all the ins & outs of your Sunline.

You want to keep your door shut by using a better latch and I keep trying to think how I can teach the greyhounds to let themselves in & out as long as the X-Pens are up. But, a couple obstacles, they need to understand that they can't do this if the X-pens aren't up, and they must "close" the door when entering or exiting. HAHA, now wouldn't that be some neat tricks.

Kitty
__________________

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Moderator
 
Sunline Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,994
SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by apackoftwo View Post
Now all I have to do to figure out how to install....I am not getting it for some reason? It's much different than the stock one I have now. Does anyone have a picture of one they installed on their screen door?
I don't have any good pictures of them from my trailers, but I did change out the lever style latch to a bullet latch on the door to my room about 7 years ago. I can get you better pics of it if you need them when I get home.







On the main door, that extra screw you see is from the old latch holder, so I would have just had an extra hole there and I just filled it with that screw.

Here's a step by step:

1) unscrew two screws off old latch, remove
2) unscrew two screws holding latch catch on back of entry door (hook)
3) Install bullet latch and try to use an old hole on the screen door while having the latch line up with the black striker plate. You will probably get a new one, but you probably won't have to use it unless it's real different, and if you do, the holes should be the same.
4) Adjust bullet latch to have the angled end of the latch hit most of the door frame. I adjusted your old latch this way. If you adjust it out too far where a flat area hits, the screen door will just bounce off. But little contact will mean very little surface to catch and hold, so the door will likely bounce back after it tries to latch.
5) Add I think three extra screws to the bullet latch to secure it to screen door in that position you determined in the last step.
6) Test screen door to make sure it latches properly.
7) Open both doors all the way to the holder/stop and slide the screen door slider out of the way.
Take the extra part (big clip) from the kit and put it behind the screen door latch up against the main door, back side. The piece needs to have the hook part facing to the left, toward the door hinges.
9) With one hand, pull on the bullet latch like you're opening the door. Pull it only part way.
10) Mark the hole areas in that hook bracket with a pencil, so you can install it later. This part is tricky. The bracket not only holds the doors together, but it also keeps the latch released so it won't catch when you are using the main door lockset as a latch. It's hard to put into words, but make sure you install this clip so that it holds the latch "open" as much as possible, but where you can also still pull the latch open a little more to pull it around the clip part of that bracket. This is simple to show in person, just not so easy to write out in words.
11) When you determine just where that bracket needs to go, screw the three screws through the bracket into the door.
12) test it all to make sure the screen door doesn't catch when together with the main door. If it does, go back and re-adjust.

Then you should be all set!
__________________
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9467.8 (as of 5/26/19)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
apackoftwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 721
SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you! but I think I need the pictures from your trailer! LOL!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
I don't have any good pictures of them from my trailers, but I did change out the lever style latch to a bullet latch on the door to my room about 7 years ago. I can get you better pics of it if you need them when I get home.







On the main door, that extra screw you see is from the old latch holder, so I would have just had an extra hole there and I just filled it with that screw.

Here's a step by step:

1) unscrew two screws off old latch, remove
2) unscrew two screws holding latch catch on back of entry door (hook)
3) Install bullet latch and try to use an old hole on the screen door while having the latch line up with the black striker plate. You will probably get a new one, but you probably won't have to use it unless it's real different, and if you do, the holes should be the same.
4) Adjust bullet latch to have the angled end of the latch hit most of the door frame. I adjusted your old latch this way. If you adjust it out too far where a flat area hits, the screen door will just bounce off. But little contact will mean very little surface to catch and hold, so the door will likely bounce back after it tries to latch.
5) Add I think three extra screws to the bullet latch to secure it to screen door in that position you determined in the last step.
6) Test screen door to make sure it latches properly.
7) Open both doors all the way to the holder/stop and slide the screen door slider out of the way.
Take the extra part (big clip) from the kit and put it behind the screen door latch up against the main door, back side. The piece needs to have the hook part facing to the left, toward the door hinges.
9) With one hand, pull on the bullet latch like you're opening the door. Pull it only part way.
10) Mark the hole areas in that hook bracket with a pencil, so you can install it later. This part is tricky. The bracket not only holds the doors together, but it also keeps the latch released so it won't catch when you are using the main door lockset as a latch. It's hard to put into words, but make sure you install this clip so that it holds the latch "open" as much as possible, but where you can also still pull the latch open a little more to pull it around the clip part of that bracket. This is simple to show in person, just not so easy to write out in words.
11) When you determine just where that bracket needs to go, screw the three screws through the bracket into the door.
12) test it all to make sure the screen door doesn't catch when together with the main door. If it does, go back and re-adjust.

Then you should be all set!
__________________

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bullet latch, latch, screen door


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Door & Screen Door Repair lewis Sunline 5th Wheels 8 02-13-2013 10:48 AM
Broken Screen Door Latch campin'dude Repairs and Maintenance 3 06-10-2010 04:17 PM
Screen door latch nickster60 Repairs and Maintenance 2 12-16-2008 08:15 PM
Screen Door Latch wobbly Modifications 11 07-20-2007 10:41 PM
sScreen door latch Galaxiedriver Repairs and Maintenance 4 07-20-2007 10:31 PM


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sunline RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:59 PM.


×