Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #1

SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Boondocking

I have a T 1950 and want to add another battery to be able to boondocks for a longer period. I understand about solar and a generator but I am thinking that just adding another battery will help and is the least expensive route Thoughts?

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #2

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
We added a 2nd battery to our 1950, our 2499 and now our Toyhauler.....we can get 5+ days with the 2 batteries if we conserve!

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #3

SUN #1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana View Post
We added a 2nd battery to our 1950, our 2499 and now our Toyhauler.....we can get 5+ days with the 2 batteries if we conserve!
Any suggestions for a particular brand?

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 04-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #4

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Two batteries will fit on your front rack and charge from your vehicle traveling or with the camper plugged in. Replace your lights with LED's and you have a good combination. You'll really notice the difference with LED's.

You'll find good advise here to get identical deep cycle batteries. Buy good quality and check the internet for ratings. I bought starter wires to hook them together positive to positive, negative to negative.

I've set two batteries on the ground for a total of 4 and after a week still had power to spare.

4 will fit in the front end of the 5th wheel now so they can stay connected but recently I bought a generator and run it an hour a day to re-charge two batteries. With that, two batteries last as long as you need.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #5

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I replaced the 1157 lights in my T1700 with LED's it had 13. All of the lamps together 320 watts the LED's 24 watts. An accumulator on the water system reduces the water pump time dramatically, replacement efficent vent fans on low speed, get rid of the inverters add another group 24 battery and you can go for 7 days or more. Many times I have done this even running my 100 watt ham radio once in awhile. When you join the batteries together draw + from one battery and - from the other not from the same battery this will give you a equal draw down and recharge. It's kind of stupid to charge your camper with a 200 + HP generator (your TV) but push to shove you can do it in the woods. My next project is a portable/steerable 100 watt solar panel.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
This is the hook up Mainah is talking about. It cost no more to do it this way and it offers a "more" equal discharge and charge of both batteries.

LEDs lights, even a few of them to start with, are the key. I use qty 2, group 27's, an upgrade to the standard group 24's but I have a slide to power in and out as well. To make it easier to mount, you can stay with the group 24's.

Being a power miser, I pull the fuse on the radio and make sure the TV power antenna is off and using LED lights we can get 5 days and maybe even more. And this is running the Turbo Maxx fan for a period of time at night to help cool off.

Ideally get yourself a good 2 digit volt meter to read the battery voltage. Here is a reliable source of how charged your lead acid battery is. See section II at the bottom

Trojan Battery Company

To get the longest life from your batteries, try to not go below 50% state of charge before recharging. And also look into a Battery Minder with desulfate mode to keep this topped off and desulfated when not camping.

Good luck and have fun. Often the non electric areas have nicer camp sites.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #7

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
[/QUOTE]An accumulator on the water system reduces the water pump time dramatically, .[/QUOTE]

That's a dramatic difference too. It not only saves power reducing pump time but when the pump starts and stops several times, it draws max amps each time it starts.

These fixes aren't going to save money but saves battery and that's important for boondocking.

Also if you have fixtures with two lapms, pull one.

I went several years doing this but I do think having a genny is peace of mind knowing that you can recharge.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #8

SUN #1546
Thanks to John B. and Paul & Sheri for your advise! Appreciated!

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 04-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #9

SUN #1591
GKLarson is an unknown quantity at this point
my $.02

We just completed our 4th Winter of boondocking for 6 months in our T-1950 in the SW
After abusing a # of batteries & sending them to an early grave, I finally learned a few things about their care & feeding. As I understand it, if you add a new battery to an existing one, the older one will pull down the strength, capacity & useful life of new one to it's level - best to buy 2 new identical batteries if you want a pair. 6 volts are best as no 12v are true deep cycle batts but I'll continue to use my pr of type 27's until they're shot & then replace w/ 6 v
LED's, accumulator pumps, & pulling unused fuses all help conserve batt. power. A $3 volt meter is essential & ignore the idiot lights on the built in monitor panel (mine lit 3 lites even @ 12.3 V, which I feel is lowest you should ever let batt's read)
I formerly used my Honda 2000 gen to recharge batts thru 1950's converter but learned from numerous boondocking pals it (converter) has insufficient power to fully recharge batts. Apparently if you run it 8 hrs/day you can maybe get close but they really need over 14v for a full charge which my standard converter won't produce.
This winter I finally broke down & bought a portable solar system & my batts & I have never been happier
Happy boondocking ! In our opinion it's the best way to camp

Glen & Kathleen
06 4.7L Tundra
06 T-1950, our 6 months/yr traveling home
one of numerous canoes
GKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #10

SUN #4407
underdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Good thread! We are going to a race in July and will be dry camping at the track. I just bought a new grp 29. Wish I had thought of two batteries. We have a 2500w gen for running the AC during the day and charge the battery but hope we can shut it down at night. I'm going to look into the LEDs. Besides the power drain the reg bulbs have actually melted the plastic lenses on a couple of the lights.

Jim & Laurie
Pittsburgh Area
1990 StarRay T205
2005 Dodge Dakota V8 Tow pac.
1992 Gulfstream Ultra LE Mini 27'
underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #11

SUN #1546
Thanks to all who have offered tips, keep them coming!

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 05-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #12

SUN #1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKLarson View Post

This winter I finally broke down & bought a portable solar system & my batts & I have never been happier
Happy boondocking ! In our opinion it's the best way to camp

So are you happy with your purchase? Could share the name of the portable solar system you purchased?

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 05-29-2013, 06:06 AM   #13

SUN #1591
GKLarson is an unknown quantity at this point
Solar system

I got my portable solar system from CEA Solar in Sun City AZ. They shipped it to me last Dec while boondocking in SoCal in bombproof packaging encasing the alum & well padded case in which you transport & store the system. (The handle on the alum case is inadequate. Don't lift the unit by it w/o additional support)

I typed in their website but when I previewed this reply it was changed to what I assume is a sponsored link ??? Hope this gets by the censors (RVSolarNow) phone 602-339-1549 They print an informative 17 page brochure I'm sure they'd be happy to mail to you. I got a pair of the 130 watt economy models as didn't feel the bells & whistles of the "pro" model was worth the additional $155. One unit would have been more than adequate, though

They're not the only fish in the sea, however, so I'd suggest you shop around if you're interested. Although th system will never pay me back, I'm very glad I finally got it. I'd estimate over 90% of boondockers we see in the SW use solar, mostly permanent roof-mount systems, but I feel the advantages of a portable system far outweigh the only disadvantage (security)

Good luck.

Glen & Kathleen
06 4.7L Tundra
06 T-1950, our 6 months/yr traveling home
one of numerous canoes
GKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #14

SUN #1546
Well I started shopping around by asking you

I have to research everything to death but getting reviews from people who actually have the product and used it and are happy is priceless!

So thank you

Here is another one I found RV Solar Panels Are Portable - RV Life Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKLarson View Post
I got my portable solar system from CEA Solar in Sun City AZ. They shipped it to me last Dec while boondocking in SoCal in bombproof packaging encasing the alum & well padded case in which you transport & store the system. (The handle on the alum case is inadequate. Don't lift the unit by it w/o additional support)

I typed in their website but when I previewed this reply it was changed to what I assume is a sponsored link ??? Hope this gets by the censors (RVSolarNow) phone 602-339-1549 They print an informative 17 page brochure I'm sure they'd be happy to mail to you. I got a pair of the 130 watt economy models as didn't feel the bells & whistles of the "pro" model was worth the additional $155. One unit would have been more than adequate, though

They're not the only fish in the sea, however, so I'd suggest you shop around if you're interested. Although th system will never pay me back, I'm very glad I finally got it. I'd estimate over 90% of boondockers we see in the SW use solar, mostly permanent roof-mount systems, but I feel the advantages of a portable system far outweigh the only disadvantage (security)

Good luck.

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"