Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-23-2013, 06:01 AM   #1

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
axle flip

I have a T1700 and the axles are on the top of the springs this thing tows great other then clearance is there anything to be gained by putting the axle on the bottom? Maybe it makes no difference but it seems to me that would put more camper in the wind and raze the center of gravity. I have rebuilt the axles, bushings etc. so the project is a simple one but is it worth it?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #2

SUN #4364
dtstanton is an unknown quantity at this point
We've got a T1350 that has axles on top and does well in 35 mph crosswinds here in the TX panhandle. I wouldn't want to pull it in much higher crosswinds than that. Yes, the CG will be higher, but you have to weigh it against the higher ground clearance benefits. In my case, I doubt it made that much difference.

TT: 1988 Sunline T-1350
TV: 2003 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3L
dtstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #3

SUN #2943
Tod Osier is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
I have a T1700 and the axles are on the top of the springs this thing tows great other then clearance is there anything to be gained by putting the axle on the bottom? Maybe it makes no difference but it seems to me that would put more camper in the wind and raze the center of gravity. I have rebuilt the axles, bushings etc. so the project is a simple one but is it worth it?

The negatives are as you state, plus the money for the flip kit and a little welding if you don't weld. The benefit of the flip for us was that for our T-1950 it was not a functional rig for how we wanted to use it. On our first trip with it (the few hundred mile trip home with it after we bought it), we scraped hard on the rear skids in two situations that I'd expect to be able to navigate without scraping as a matter of course. The first was an emergency turn around backing into a raised driveway when we ran into a closed bridge on a country road. The second was coming into a gas station that was lower than the road. Since the flip (we also did the LT tire upgrade and I think that also added .7"), we have never scraped the rear even in some extremely hairy situations, so it was just what we needed. If you don't drag now, there is no reason to flip unless you are planning on using the trailer in a way you haven't.

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tod Osier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
That was pretty much my feelings too a lot depends on the size and wheel base the T1700 is not real long so the over hang is even a lot less then yours. One of the RV places was trying to sell me a kit saying how much better it was with out even knowing the size of the camper. I don't think I would like to take it down a logging road but it seems to be fine in a semi flat field. I guess if any thing I may go to 14" wheels instead of the 13's not much of a jump but 14" tires are easier to find.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #5

SUN #4353
WASA 1500 is an unknown quantity at this point
I flipped and would do it again, most all new units are set up this way-
We would drag out the driveway / service stations, NO MORE!
Where are your holding tank drain valves...you don't want to dump her that way !
1997 E-150 4.2 v6
1976 F-150 4.9 I6
WASA 1500 is offline   Reply With Quote