Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-15-2007, 12:09 PM   #1

SUN #115
emam
Awning Tie-Downs

Being new to the Full-Time RV lifestyle (We've been on the road for 4 months now) Cindy & I have noticed how every time we've stopped at an RV Store, the Awning Tie-Downs were usually right up front.

A couple of times we would pick them up and say, "Should we buy these?" Which one of us would usually talk the other one out of it saying "We will if we think we need them."

After this last Friday the 13th, I wish we would have bought them.

We were sitting in the KOC Campground in Southern Louisiana when I noticed the awning had flapped a few times and thought "The wind must be picking up a little." I told Cindy, "I'm going outside to put the awning up" and as I stood in the door frame - a strong gust of wind took the awning for a ride, flipping it up on to the roof of the Travel Trailer.

4 other RV's of various types all kept their awnings out for the rest of the day with no problems, but all had awning tie-downs. Moral of the story, I guess they sell those things for a reason and $20 spent on prevention would have saved us a costly repair charge on a new awning arm.

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:48 PM   #2

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
I argued with DH about getting them...he thought $ wasted, I then bought 2 doggie screw down thing-a-ma-bobs and used his tie downs with the screw things....it works, I'm probably going to look for 2 heavy springs at our local hardware store and add that to the home made system......I think I've speant 5 bucks so far! No including his tie downs which are in the TT "in case" box all the time!

Sorry about your loss....hopefully it won't be too expensive to repair!

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:10 PM   #3

SUN #225
Mark
Truthfully, in windy situations, its better to roll them up.

My GF almost lost her head, some fingers, and the awning when rain built up a puddle that she didn't see. I guess someone forgot to angle the awning

The extra weight slammed the awning into the closed position taking her with it. Luckily no on or nothing was hurt/damaged.

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:59 PM   #4

SUN #115
emam
I'd love to know if anyone is using different kinds or have tried a few types as we want to get a set so this doesnt happen again.

If anyone uses a certain type that they find works well, please let us know.

Thanks
Pat & Cindy

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
Old 04-16-2007, 05:42 AM   #5

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Pat,

The best system I've found so far is the Hold-Awn Awning strap:

It requires putting two anchors in the ground and putting a strap over the awning frame and fabric. I was thinking that standard anchor screws would work well with rachet straps, but it might bend the awning frame. Has anyone used this method? I think I remember seeing someone who left their awning out all the time and used that, but it may have been something else.

I have also found the best solution for holding the awning fabric still. Some friends of ours made this per the suggestion of some workampers and it works very well, through the worst wind and rain. It is a PVC pipe, about 3 feet long, with a slot cut in it (whole length) so the awning fabric can fit in. It then has bolts with wing nuts going through the pipe, which the fabric goes right up to, and they can be cranked down to hold the fabric (closes the pipe). The pipe also has eye hooks on the opposite side of the slot, which bungee cords, rope, zip ties, or any other fastening device could be used to attach it to the awning rafter. Do this on both sides and the fabric shouldn't flop around as much. I've only seen this in action on a FW, which has a very sloped awning, so hopefully it would work on a TT with a "rain collecting" awning. I thought about making up a set of these, but I haven't had time. On the MH, it has the Carefree power awning (with arms though), so I just pull it in when it gets windy or anything more than a mist. That awning could accept the clamps, but the top rafter is hinged in the center, so it would be hard to keep it solid.

I feel your pain! I had that happen on the 2653 twice, because of sudden rain and wind while away for the day. The first time, my dad and grandpa tried to put it up, but it got away from them and fell apart, pushing my grandpa and a chair (who were underneath the awning), right through the front entry door. At that time, we didn't use straps either.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #6

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Pat,

This is what I have<a href="http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=oJlfl*qTN6s&offerid=63155.310824174&type= 10&subid=">Click Here
</a>[img]http://ad.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/show?id=oJlfl*qTN6s&bids=63155.310824174&type=10&s ubid=[/img]
The strap goes across the full awning.

But to be honest I haven't used it much.

I've never had a problem with the awning, not sure if it's how we use it.
But I always keep the support bars attached to the trailer side. And if it gets windy, we put the awning in, particularly at night if we think a storm may come through during the night. Like I said, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with us not having a problem or we've just been lucky.

Sorry to hear about our awning, hope there's not too much damage and it's not too expensive to get fixed.

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:42 PM   #7

SUN #123
Hutch,

That is actually what I have, I just didn't find that exact pic and figured the manufacturer had changed the design. I do put my arms out and stake them down, but they go in and the awning goes up as soon as it gets windy.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Old 04-17-2007, 07:57 AM   #8

SUN #196
tinybluetj
Gosh! I did not know that you were supposed to detatch the awning 'arms' from the trailer. I always just rolled the hting out! Huh. learn something new everyday! (snd feel silly doing it!)
Old 04-17-2007, 08:06 AM   #9

SUN #123
Kathryn,

You don't have to put them out. They can be left in too without a problem. After 5 years of always having them in, I starting putting them out and then there's no more ducking under them when walking through. I guess it's all about personal preference.

Jon
Old 04-19-2007, 11:06 AM   #10

SUN #193
DAVID COOPER
CAMCO makes a "Deflapper Max" ($10 ea.) It's a 6 inch clamp with a velcro strap that ties to the upper arm. I have a 18-20 ft awning (never measured it exactly) on my 2000 t2570. Anyway, its a huge piece of fabric that flaps pretty hard sometimes because of the weight. I wanted to avoid the $400 fabric replacement problem. The previous owner had allowed some abuse to the awning and it had 2-3inch tears at the corners attaching to the trailer and I did'nt want those tears to get bigger. White duct tape and 2 deflappers have prevented the tears from growing but I still do the safe rather than sorry thing and put it up when away for a while. Unless you stare up close, the duct tape blends in. However, you can't tighten the velcro straps real tight because the upper arms are not real rigid. But it does cut down on the amount travel in the center of the fabric when the occaisional gust hits and reduces the thing beating itself to death.

Love the PVC idea. Very creative. I used to wonder what those quick release looking things were for at the base of my awning arms too!! To whoever invented different colors of duct tape, i say thank you.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:01 AM   #11

SUN #196
tinybluetj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
Kathryn,

You don't have to put them out. They can be left in too without a problem. After 5 years of always having them in, I starting putting them out and then there's no more ducking under them when walking through. I guess it's all about personal preference.

Jon
I guess it pay to be short!
Old 04-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #12

SUN #115
emam
Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions.

I thought I'd post a quick follow up as to how I was able to fix it.

The arms are pretty flimsy and we were able to bend the slight twist they had in them back to ALMOST straight. Unless I was to point it out to you, you would never notice it.

The top part that has lagre roll pin rivet on the end to hold the arm to the camper is where the arm had broken. I was able to saw off the roll pin and saw off the end of the arm that was pretty bent up. I then drilled a new hole through the arm and installed a new roll pin with a cotterpin to hold it all in.

I'd like to say it works fine and only cost a few cents of the roll pin and cotter pin. I'll keep you all informed on how long the fix holds up. And as soon as we find an RV Store, we're buying the tie-downs

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
Old 04-23-2007, 09:32 PM   #13

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
EMAN

Here is what I use on my T2499.

My Awning"kit"

I use
Qty: 4 Camco Deflappers
Qty: 2, Dog tie up screws, with springs and ratchet straps. Cheaper in parts than the all in on kit and stronger.

DO do a hard tilt to one side to let rain run off. If it get's too nasty, up she goes before it gets that bad. But the "kit" allows me time to get to it in case I get caught off guard.

Close up of Dog Screw, spring and ratchet strap

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:39 AM   #14

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Well John B - if that were a 1950 in the picture - I'd think it was our TT - we use the SAME method and lots cheaper to fabricate than all that STUFF they want to sell you!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #15

SUN #8237
johnnybgood is an unknown quantity at this point
So most people don't remove the lower awning arms from the trailer and stake them vertical? I just learned the manual says to do this but not sure if it's necessary. Is it a structural thing or safety thing or what? I haven't done it yet, but could see me walking into one of those bars and maybe less likely if they were vertical.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:34 PM   #16

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
I do all different setups. Somethings I setup mine like johnb, sometimes I setup in carport mode, both legs staked down to ground, sometimes I set up with only one leg staked down. I do like the carport mode because I never duck down enough when going around the end to the truck and hit my head.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:23 PM   #17

SUN #246
Janalee
I have used the deflappers for many years,also have a tie out system that looks like a "C" --it hooks into your accessory track with tension cords to the ground..also tip the awning away from the door. We got caught off guard ONCE! Wasnt tipped enough,DH tried to lower it with a bellyfull--the roller bar bar broke in half,fabric ripped,arms bent and DH was scared to death. I couldnt get out of the trailer lol! I always carry comp on mine with $100 deductible. Dealer came out and replaced the whole thing onsite! Insurance paid the bill..
I have home and auto insured with AARP Hartford and trailer as an add-on. They have paid many claims for me thru the years with never a problem. This little '86 Saturn 1661 is now costing me $19 a year!! My 2002 was $58....!
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:45 PM   #18

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
There is a caution about unhooking the lower arm and standing it vertical when it comes to wind. If the bottom of bolted down to a porch deck on a seasonal site, then no problem. Out in the campground if you put stakes in or use a rope type down it helps but the concern is getting caught off guard with a high wind gust. If the wind gust lifts the awning enough to pull hard on the stakes or the rope and loosens them, the next wind gust pulls even further until the arm can lift high enough to then fall down and the then the whole end will start to go flying.

I actually saw this happen. Was camping with a friend one time who had one of his arms vertical to the ground and he had it tied down. The had the rope tie down with a wood slider block as a tensioner. All was good for a while. We where at the fire ring yaking 2 campers away from his. The wind picked up and one large gust lifted the awning on the vertical arm end up about 2 to 3". The rope stretched enough to allow this. Then the rope in his case went slack as the wood slider/tensioner went loose. That was the end of it. The next wind gust by the time we could get there, the awning arm went flying up over the roof, bounced off and crashed down on the siding. Bent the arm all up, heavy dents in the siding and a rip in the roof. This all happened in about 45 seconds...

The longer the awning the bigger the sail. Mine is a 21 foot awning, I need to keep all the wind things in mind. I use double sets of deflappers, the lower arm attached to the camper and the spring tension added to a ratchet strap tie down. The tie downs have become vertical now but still tied down and attached to the camper on the lower arm. After seeing my friends go up like that, I'm convinced the stories are real...

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #19

SUN #123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
There is a caution about unhooking the lower arm and standing it vertical when it comes to wind. If the bottom of bolted down to a porch deck on a seasonal site, then no problem. Out in the campground if you put stakes in or use a rope type down it helps but the concern is getting caught off guard with a high wind gust. If the wind gust lifts the awning enough to pull hard on the stakes or the rope and loosens them, the next wind gust pulls even further until the arm can lift high enough to then fall down and the then the whole end will start to go flying.

I actually saw this happen. Was camping with a friend one time who had one of his arms vertical to the ground and he had it tied down. The had the rope tie down with a wood slider block as a tensioner. All was good for a while. We where at the fire ring yaking 2 campers away from his. The wind picked up and one large gust lifted the awning on the vertical arm end up about 2 to 3". The rope stretched enough to allow this. Then the rope in his case went slack as the wood slider/tensioner went loose. That was the end of it. The next wind gust by the time we could get there, the awning arm went flying up over the roof, bounced off and crashed down on the siding. Bent the arm all up, heavy dents in the siding and a rip in the roof. This all happened in about 45 seconds...

The longer the awning the bigger the sail. Mine is a 21 foot awning, I need to keep all the wind things in mind. I use double sets of deflappers, the lower arm attached to the camper and the spring tension added to a ratchet strap tie down. The tie downs have become vertical now but still tied down and attached to the camper on the lower arm. After seeing my friends go up like that, I'm convinced the stories are real...

Hope this helps

John
I too ratchet mine down with straps and screw in anchors. I have two screw in anchors for the arms (like a screw with a T on top, and two bolts to attach the awning arms), but I've not used them in a while because it's so hard to get them in the ground.

A word of caution to those of us with center tension rafters. Putting an arm out, particularly the front one I think, will turn the awning tube more. If your rafter is installed, it will start to bend the tube around the hole because it's no longer at the same straight on angle. Not sure about maybe putting a second hole, as that would reduce the strength of the tube more, but something to think about.

Luckily the little bit that my tube bent was easily correctable with a few taps of a hammer.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #20

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had it happen this summer. Before i got it staked it was on the roof. Took out refrigerator vent and street side gutter.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote