Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #1

SUN #115
emam
Anyone Ever Stretched Their Frame?

Since the frames on most of our coaches hav had to be repaired in the last few years, I'm not that worried about hacking into mine to make some modifications. As if you couldnt tell with all the beams and mounts already welded/bolted on it already

We're in the early stages of kicking around the ideas of trading in our Dual Sport motorcycle for a model that would have a sidecar on it. We figured since from this point on, we'll be sitting still a bit more and doing lots of side trips, to sav in fuel costs and mak the adventure a bit more fun, a sidecar would be a blast to see the scenic backroads out of.

The problem is in order to carry it around, we'd have to either get rid of the 2499 and move up to a much larger toyhauler or take the bed off our truck and mount a flatbed with some sort of ramps to haul the bike around.

After much research, both of those otpions are out due to cost and the amount of ammenties we have wraped up into our current model already. It just wouldnt save us anything to sell ours which we probably wouldnt get anything for right now, move up to a bigger more expensive toyhauler or get rid of the storage space on the back of the truck with our cap.

Then the other day a Starcraft Travel Trailer passed us with a couple of four wheelers on the front deck and a light bulb went off. I could probably find a fabricator who could extend our frame rails up front for under a grand.

I wouldnt extend the deck this much. Rather I'd make it fit the bike to the 'T' with only enough room to have the bike and sidecar on the deck and that's it.

What my question is: Do you think this would alter the pull of the coach too much? I know Sunline did some major research to get the axles in the right spots so they would tow like they do, but this would save us thousands and keep us in the camper we have grown to love.

I'd like to hear what you all think and dont hold back. I'm pretty serious about this and unless 99% of the comments are "DONT DO IT" then I'll probably have it done this summer.

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #2

SUN #382
Mooney
Remember that wheelbase also = chance of getting high centered on something. Since you have rubber ride, you can't easily lift your coach higher.

It WOULD be a cool mod though...

'05 2380s Solaris Lite, axles flipped
Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Pat

Mechanically it can be done. But they are for sure going to have to go deep into the existing frame rails. Not just tap into the header. And the more I think about it, the A frame is in the way just behind eh header. Not easy, but not impossible. There is too much stuff under the TT to contend with on the frame rails. The fresh tank, the black tank too.

However, it will come with very high tongue weight. Right now I’m sure you could be at 1,200# maybe more when the motor bike is not on the back.

How heavy is the bike and side car you will be adding up front? You can add that right on the already 1,200# of tongue weight plus the extra frame weight. And your tongue may 1700 to 2,000#.

Reese does sell a Titian (Tow Beast) receiver. I have one and it is a 2 1/2” receiver. The Stock Super duty on the F250 and F350 with SRW drive is rated at 1,250# in WD mode which was why I upgraded as my T310SR comes in at 1,375 to 1,400#. Mine is only rated up to 1,700# in WD mode. However they now have even a heavier one. But then the F250 frame rails have to take it which might be an issue to overcome.

And then there is one other issue, the TT axles and tires. Unless you went on one serious camper diet, you may be out of axle capacity. The T2499 from Sunline put in 7,000# of axles and tires. This has to be kept track of to make sure you do not go over this. While tongue weight will go up, the TT axles take some of it too.

Actually after quick thoughts what you are describing is almost like a horse trailer. Wheels way in the back and one long trailer bed. However they are gooseneck hitches so they do not have to deal with the WD hitch and towing on the ball. And the frame under them could look more like a 10” I beam. Verse your 6” I beam.

Or, I know this may be out a little in left field, but it might be cheaper to get a custom gooseneck trailer with the right frame setup, takes the torque flex axles off the T2499 and slide the entire thing on the gooseneck frame that matches the T2499 frame rails. If they can position the axles in the same area as the Sunline, then the wheel wells will at least be in the right spot. You will also have to get a new step to get in with as the entire camper is higher.

Here is one custom gooseneck hit on the web http://www.gooseneck.net/268623.html

Then some day you want to sell the T2499, separate the 2 and put the wheels back on and sell the gooseneck trailer and the T2499 separate.

I have no idea on cost but it will be mechanically sound

For the price of a new Tow beast receiver and a WD hitch in the 2,200# to 2,500# area yet to be found, (if they make one) a goose neck hitch in the truck bed is far cheaper.

Basically putting it, can what you are asking be done, yes. Cost, don’t know.

Good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #4

SUN #115
emam
Thanks for the input John.

I like the way you're thinking and it gives me a few new avenues to do some research on.

I had never thought of just picking the whole camper body off the frame and sitting it on a new frame. That might not be all that bad of an idea and I could incorporate the deck for the bike on there too.

I'll keep this thread going with new ideas that come my way and I'd love to hear from some more people, because a few different ideas might be able to be combined into one cool design

THanks Again John

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote