Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #1

SUN #147
chriseck
Air bags anyone else using them

The T-276sr really squats the Dodge 1500 Q-cab we tow with.Tryed the helper 1/4 leaf with no positive results.The heavy duty load bars work ok but max out when we load up the golf cart.Ordered Firestone air bag springs.Anybody using these or simular product?

Old 01-30-2007, 04:25 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Good Morning,

With what your describing, I think the first thing I'd do would be to head to a scale to get accurate weights (as you are normally loaded for travel). I'm just taking a "wag" (wild azz guess) but I'm thinking your asking a bit much of your truck. Your trailer has an approx dry tongue weight of 750 lbs, approx unloaded standard trailer weight of 6085, plus any options, plus any/all belongings you put in it and then the golf cart in the bed of the truck. You might just need heavier W/D bars, but that sounds like a pretty heavy load for a 1/2 ton truck, so probably be best to get the weights before you decide to spend hard earned $$ guessing at what to add, when the end result might be that nothing added can really make it tow level and safely, except a 3/4 ton truck.

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:32 AM   #3

SUN #147
chriseck
Sunline fan,did you have to do any drilling on your Ford to install the bags?Also do you find the standard shocks able to control damping and rebound properly? Kanyonkitty,a 3/4 Ton truck would make things alot easier,but not in our income budget right now.Need to make the 1/2 Ton work as safely as I can keeping within all weight limits of the truck.If I had something like the HD-1500 GMC those rear leafs would be stiffer to carry the load.The company I ordered the bags from said the manufactures have streatched the length of the leafs in order to provide a smoother ride,but therefore it makes the leaf sag faster with added weight.The truck seams very capable with the heavy load.GCVWR is 14,000lbs.The bags were $239.00 with free shipping.I will install them myself.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:27 PM   #4

SUN #115
emam
I have one that rides in the passenger seat beside me, but she doesnt make the TT tow any differently

Just kidding!! But I couldnt hold myself back, that header just left it too open to not say anything...LOL

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:54 AM   #5

SUN #147
chriseck
Installed the air bags yesterday.It took about 2hrs.The air rachet saved me alot of time and hard work.Did the entire job while the truck sat on the ground.The kit fits very good and only had to drill one hole for the air inflation nozzle placement.Had to add a tee fitting not supplied in the install kit to connect both lines together so I would be able to inflate the bags evenly.Planning on a test hookup to the trailer in the yard this weekend.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:18 AM   #6

SUN #115
emam
We're thinking of having some installed after noticing that the rear end is starting to squat a bit? I think with having the truck fully loaded at all times and having the trailer on for so long, the stock shocks are really getting a work out.

I wish I had the capabilities of putting them on myself, but I think we're just going to find a Camping World and Have them installed so we'll get a warranty and know my handyman abilities wont be tested while on the road full time...LOL

Times like this when you miss the heated garage with all your tools so you could do it on your own.

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote