Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #1

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Winter Camping - February in Ohio - A 1st

The weather has been really “different” this year.

For the first time starting from 2003 we have found a nice weekend in the month of February to actually go winter camping, in a camper that is. February in central Ohio is usually so yucky that trying to find a weekend that lines up with being able to actually go out camping has just not shown up, yet. Well this weekend it did. It was great!! Sun, above freezing during the day, no snow on the ground. It hit 45 on Saturday. WOW.

We had the entire state park to ourselves! Sunday when we left someone was pulling in as today was really nice too. Tomorrow it is supposed to turn back rotten again…

Here are some pics of the weekend.

It was nice to cook out. I'm a breakfast guy and this went off great. Bacon a cook'in. We only get this treat unless we are camping.

Along with French Toast

We have some to share, so come on over!

I say we where the only ones in the CG, but I meant the only 2 legged campers that is.... Rackie Raccoon was out like clock work at 8:00pm making the rounds from site to site. I saw him Friday night when we where setting up. Go away, nothing here for you to eat. He wandered off eventually not even a twitch from us being there. This is for sure a camp Raccoon that has been around people before.

Then Saturday night we are in the camper and we hear, clunk, plunk, bang bang bang. What the heck.... It was pitch black out, about 8:15 pm. H'mm I wonder if that Raccoon is after the dumpster....

Well Sunday morning I went to throw the last bag of trash away and look in. Ah ha. You where in here last night. We had a small bag of garbage we threw out Saturday after supper. Must of had some smells in it from supper. It was totally gone from the dumpster.... bag and all....

He had to have help as getting in and out of this empty dumpster with the lid still on was a trick for sure and then to get an entire kitchen size bag of garbage out of it too???. This is a 4 foot high dumpster.

Dirty Paw prints where on my truck too.

I have seen Racoons at Scout camp do some really strange things but he had have a few buddies to crawl up out of here.

The camping escape was great. Hope spring hurries up and get's here.

John

PS The offer on breakfast still stands. Come on over!

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:15 AM   #2

SUN #3387
1979Sunline is an unknown quantity at this point
what time is breakfast? lol looks like a good time.
i thought about camping this weekend too and im up in NY! but i figured id better grab what is left of this pittiful snowmobile season because summer is long enough, haha.....

Old 02-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Glad you & Cindy got out to do some camping. Yes, it sure has been a weird winter, but I'm not going to complain. I don't need to ever see snow again. Just last night Gary & I were discussing making reservations to return to Shenandoah River State Park. So in a couple of weeks we will probably schedule something for the first weekend in April, as his birthday is April 1. Might also book a couple more weekends, as we really like the campground.

We are also still trying to decide dates & days for our summer trip, but I'll start a new post for that to hopefully get some ideas.

I still say "Move south", not to a place like florida, but south enough that you would have a much better chance to camp all year round.

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #4

SUN #2943
Tod Osier is an unknown quantity at this point
John, that looks great to get out - very jealous you made it happen.

I need to get a propane tank like that for our portable grill.

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tod Osier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #5

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
The weather has been really “different” this year.
We've been thanking Carol's late mom.......Carol swears she's kept the snow away from her little girl's broken ankle this year!!!!!!

Mack

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #6

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyonkitty View Post
Glad you & Cindy got out to do some camping. Yes, it sure has been a weird winter, but I'm not going to complain. I don't need to ever see snow again. Just last night Gary & I were discussing making reservations to return to Shenandoah River State Park. So in a couple of weeks we will probably schedule something for the first weekend in April, as his birthday is April 1. Might also book a couple more weekends, as we really like the campground.

We are also still trying to decide dates & days for our summer trip, but I'll start a new post for that to hopefully get some ideas.

I still say "Move south", not to a place like florida, but south enough that you would have a much better chance to camp all year round.

Kitty
Myrtle Beach was nice and convenient. Cold weather head South. Hot weather head North. All kinds of camping within easy reach.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #7

SUN #3387
1979Sunline is an unknown quantity at this point
70s in myrtle tomorrow
Old 02-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Well "IF" we both still didn't have to work, heading south(ish) would be a real possibility. But, unfortunately we are both still work stiffs, well I am supposed to be once doctor tells me I can go back to work.

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #9

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyonkitty View Post
Glad you & Cindy got out to do some camping.

Kitty
Thanks Kitty, It was a good escape. We made it out in January too. We actually make it out in January most years. It is Febuary and March that can be a free for all.

Hope you are able to get out soon. It will do you a lot of good.

Here is our January get away.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #10

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod Osier View Post
John, that looks great to get out - very jealous you made it happen.

I need to get a propane tank like that for our portable grill.
Tod,

Thanks for the good words. On the LP tank, that is a 5# tank and I have 2 of them. One a spare. I wish it was a 10 lb'er but I bought it to store on the TT battery rack and the 10# would not fit. Back then I had a K2500 Suburban to tow with and no truck bed. Trust me the refillable tanks are money ahead of the green throw away bottles. Just you need to have someone who will fill by the gallon or the pound. Some places charge a flat rats for a 20# BBQ tank. And after paying that for the 5# tank once...;I had to find a better place.

The 10# tanks coast about the same as the 5#. It is one of those supply and demand things. And both are more expensive then the 20# BBQ grill tanks that is so popular. But the smaller 5 or 10# tank is for sure handy and I know when I turn the valve off the LP is going to shut off.

Had back luck once with one of those 1# green bottles. Unscrewed the Lateran head off the bottle and the Schrader valve in the end would not shut up until the tank went empty. And then you have to deal with how to dispose of them.

John

Old 02-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #11

SUN #1830
Myrtle Beach is not just a tourist trap, and hasn't been for many years. I worked for AVX Ceramics which is a international corporation. Wifey did the production line while I did research and development. I would bet there are a lot more non-tourist related businesses there by now. I'm just saying where there is a will, there is a way.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #12

SUN #1830
john, that was one jumping raccoon. It is amazing how animals can jump. Our neighbor's cat clears a five foot fence without looking back. I feel like I have to get a running start going up the curb at Walmart.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #13

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
It has been a crazy winter we have very little snow on the ground usually this time of year there is 3-4'. Seems like every time it should snow the temp goes up to 40 rains then goes down to the teens and every thing freezes I have used more sand this year then all of the last 10 winters. I had even thought about going camping then the weather report says high's in the low 20's as soon as I'm ready to go. The worst part is in Maine we are not out of the woods until April
Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #14

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
john, that was one jumping raccoon. It is amazing how animals can jump. Our neighbor's cat clears a five foot fence without looking back. I feel like I have to get a running start going up the curb at Walmart.
Jim,

Racoons are very smart and ingenious. He had to have help getting that bag up and out of the dumpster. The lid was down and the dumpster empty. So he edged his way in lifting the lid and back down the lid came. Jumped to the bottom which had like 6" of water in it...yuk icky....

Then he figured out how to push up 4 feet and over an kitchen size bag of trash completely intact, lift the lid and then get himself back out....

I have seen Raccoons before stack themselves as ladders almost. One keeps crawling over the next to make the ladder longer. How the last guy would ever get out...don't know.

He some how bagged his prize and took off with it....

I'll share a quick story with you. We had our PU then and we had our Granddaughter with us until her Mom could come and pick her up at the CG. We stopped at McDonald's for some burgers and fries for Cindy and I on the way to camp Friday night. Granddaughter was still on a bottle then.

So we ate when we made it to camp at the picnic table and put the trash back in the in the bag. About that time Cindy changed a really dirty diaper and said here, "take this". So I stuffed the diaper in the McDonald's bag. I continued to set up camp.

I turn around and there is Mr. Raccoon eying up that bag... He grabbed it and started hauling it backwards into the woods. It must of smelled like a french fry. I shouted at it and started going towards it hoping he did not shred that mess all over the camp. He stopped and went in the bag and ended up pulling the dirty diaper out. Well after a quick realization what he had.... he drooped it like a rock and scooted off into the woods.

That was the 1st and probably only time I ever had the last laugh on a Raccoon... They generally find a way to win...

Don't leave any food out ever around a tent or camper and they leave you alone. They will come and sniff but then move on to the next camper with easier pickings or the dumpster....

Old 02-23-2012, 02:18 AM   #15

SUN #1830
Now that is funny. Shame we don't have all the good stuff in the camera. A long time ago when Wifey and I were tent campers we would take late night strolls through campgrounds. It was interesting and funny to hear other campers getting ready for bed. One night after a nightly stroll and back at the tent we were laying there trying to get to sleep. I kept hearing this honking that sounded like a duck. It just kept on honking and honking so I was getting up to see what was going on. if the duck was in trouble I wanted to help it. Wifey gets up with me and we both head towards the honking duck. When we were what I felt close enough I turned the flashlight on and was checking for the duck. What I found was a frog. After than anytime a duck would honk everyone would tell me to go find that frog. That was back in 1972 and she still will not let me forget that night. Wish I was smart as a raccoon.

Edited to add: Do Boy Scouts still cook potatoes in the fire pit? I seem to remember wrapping one in foil, or something like that. That was a longer time ago, LO!