Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-25-2007, 11:59 PM   #15

SUN #115
emam
I'll agree, there is soething magical about waking up with a fresh layer of snow, especially if you're into sking.

Cindy and I have slept in the bed of our truck in the winter, woke up with icycles hanging off the ceiling of the Truck Cap next to our faces, and tent camped at -4 in Colorado. Thats one of the reasons we own a Sunline now

We're trying to figure out how to be in Yellowstone for the late fall photography possibilities, and I'm trying to talk Cindy into the trade off of what the beauty will look like for the cold weather. Right now she's not buying it

I'll let you know how it goes

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:30 PM   #16

SUN #89
JohnB is an unknown quantity at this point
DW and I do camp all year round here in Central Ohio and we really enjoy it. No bugs, no crowds and helps cure the winter blues and camper fever. If there is a open weekend where it is not miserable, we are out! Mid December or January no problem, again providing it is not miserable.

If during the day the wind is not blowing much, Sun is out and at least above freezing at the high point, we are gone. At night it can get down to the teens and that is OK.

At this point we are fully winterized on the plumbing. We bring water in jugs inside and have a small porta potty left over from the PU for that mid night run…..

We use a ceramic electric heater and have the ability to bring a separate power cord into the camper for a 2nd one if we need it. We have devised a way to get the heat when sleeping fairly evened out. We can roast if we want, but that is no fun, covers on, then off then on etc. So we sleep with it cooler but not cold.

Some tips:

At night when you go to sleep, open a roof vent. This can be on the other end of the camper but it needs to be open a good 1” up on the opening end. If not you will wake up to soaking wet walls, ceiling, windows you name it. The amount of moisture that comes from DW and you breathing at night is truly unbelievable. I have tent camped to 15 below F and this is critical in a tent. Same thing in a camper, just bigger.

Our biggest issue is, Central Ohio weather is really flakey and worse in the winter. Getting the combination of Sun, low wind and at least above freezing is complex. But even if we only get out once a month in January, it helps with the camper fever.

Here are a few cooler weather camping pics, You generally have the entire park to yourself or only share with about 2 to 6 other campers

The weekend after Thanksgiving.

A January get away

March that just broke the winter blues

And April, Spring. Mother Nature can do what she well pleases.

Give it a try. It can be fun

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:49 PM   #17

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
John,

When you said no bugs and no crowds, you really meant it from those pics! It looks like there's no other sign of life whatsoever.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9461.2 (as of 10/01/16)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
2008 T-286SR SE scale model, #5001
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:07 PM   #18

SUN #307
purplesuebug
That looks GREAT, I like the idea of no crowds. Do you have problems finding places open and offering electrical hook-up in winter when they know you are going to spin the meter on those cold nights. M&S
purplesuebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:10 PM   #19

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
You will have trouble finding places open if you come to Michigan! I only know of one that's open year round.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9461.2 (as of 10/01/16)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
2008 T-286SR SE scale model, #5001
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:15 PM   #20

SUN #139
Al in PA
John, you make a very compelling case for year round camping. Back in the 60s, we used to go from early spring through late fall in a tent trailer with a propane heater: You brought back some good memories, thanks. Lately, we've extended our camping season through the end of October, but that's as late as we've gone. I would hate to tow my Sunline if there was the slightest chance of snow - talk about a white knuckle trip! Two of the worst blizzards I've ever experienced occurred in the month of March. I must say I admire your sense of adventure.
2007 T-2553
2003 Silverado 1500
Al in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:59 PM   #21

SUN #89
In Ohio we are blessed with many State Parks open all year round with electric hook up. There are a dozen or more real quick in the area with out looking to hard. Some have dump stations open, some even heated showers. All that are open have outdoor porata pottys and frost free water hydrants to get potable water from. (Health laws.)

All that are open are on reduced sites for the season so the park does not have to maintain.

Towing in the snow. Nope not for me, ever by choice. The one pic in the snow, well Friday night it was 60 degrees at 6:00PM. Come Saturday morning, it was 32 and snowed a little bit. By lunch time it was all gone. That is how fickle the weather can be here. I'm originally from upstate NY where in the month of January is could never get above freezing the entire month, but we know it and could deal with it and the sun was out all the time. Here we can have 70 one day and 32 the next and the days of full sun are limited. ...

Being is an entire state park with only 1 or 2 other campers or in some cases you are the only one, is different. Being a prior back packing and canoe camping nut and taking groups of teen age Boy Scouts out into the middle of no where in Canada's Quetico Provincial Park, White Otter Wilderness areas or northern New Mexico changes the way you look at being close to nature. These quite winter camps in the TT help remind me of those good times.

If you have not done this, try it. You can get hooked on it.

John

Old 06-29-2007, 06:57 AM   #22

SUN #128
Tweety
Can you tell me which parks those are? Our son is working in OH this summer and we may go visit 1 more time. He's living in Troy, which means we have to go allllll the way across the state. We stopped at BarkCamp the last time we traveled there and it was nice. I was however surprised by the lack of flush toilets. Is that how all your state parks are? They had showers and sinks, but no toilets!
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:41 AM   #23

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetse
Can you tell me which parks those are? Our son is working in OH this summer and we may go visit 1 more time. He's living in Troy, which means we have to go allllll the way across the state. We stopped at BarkCamp the last time we traveled there and it was nice. I was however surprised by the lack of flush toilets. Is that how all your state parks are? They had showers and sinks, but no toilets!
Pam

I am fairly up on most all Ohio State Parks. And pending which one you want to camp at I may even have pics of "The Camper" camping at one for you.

I looked up Troy, Ohio. I'm assuming you mean Troy, which is north of Dayton on I 75?

If so there is a very nice SP near by and actually 2 of the above pics where from there. The November one and the March one. A very nice park.

It is Lake Loramie State Park. http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/parks/ Follow that link, then click on the Lake Loramie dot and read on.

Barkcamp, I have visited that park all the way on the east end of the state.... And yes a nice smaller park. But I too found it strange. They have showers but no flush potties'???? Why? The drains are all in and so is the water???

That is not typical of the Ohio Park system. The state is putting money back into the park system and each year we see new and upgraded things at all the parks we see.

We have a full range of services and parks. From Full Hook up, to ele only, to the whole park being non-electric.

Most all camping parks have a dump station even if they do not have electric. And all camping parks have a potable water source.

Let me know if you are camping over our way. Lake Loramie is 1 1 /2 hours from our house and we go often. Would be good to meet up with you, or any other Sunliners.

Gee, 2 Sunlines in the same Ohio Park, next to each other. WOW That would be cool and probably a first.

Let me know if you need more.

John