Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #1

SUN #115
emam
WiFi Hotspot for Campers

I know we've been talking about this on a few different threads, usually when the topic has to do with Wi-Fi and camping, so I thought I'd pass along some cool info

We travel fulltime and update our blogs daily while on the road. We use a Verizon Broadband card that plugs into our lap tops through a USB port.

We have a Wilson Amplifier to boost the broadband signal, and surprisingly enough, we almost never are without a good signal. Usually if we cant pick up a signal, we're waaayy out in the boonies far from civilization.

Our dilema started when we're both wanting to get on the internet at the same time. Cindy and I both have laptops and are usually working on the computers at the same time. We figured if we could find a way to share the signal, it would speed up the process of updating the website and checking our daily emails.

I had been looking into Routers that would allow you to plug the Broadband card into them and then share the signal. I finally found one that was affordable and ordered it to see if it would work.

What I've found is the holy grail for people using the Broadband cards and have mulitple computers.

I purchased the Cradlepoint CT350 which is about the size of a deck of cards and costs $99. It plugs into a standard wall plug for power, but they also offer a 12volt adapter for an additional $25.

http://moremobileinternet.com/?EMAM - Link to More Mobile Internet

When I got it, I was totally blown away. First of all, it came the very next day because I had it shipped overnight for next to nothing and second of all because it comes in a really cool little metal briefcase that will keep it safe and sound while traveling. It also has a cut out slot for the Broadband card so they both go in the case together and you dont lose track of them.

Hooking it up was as simple as plugging the Verizon Card into the USB slot. It took my laptop a few minutes to register that it found a new Internet Connection.

Once it found the signal I logged on. At first it brings you to the More Mobile Internet site and asks you to register the device which is just typing in the serial number on the back of the router. This acts as your password till you go through the steps of setting it up with your own password.

Even though it comes with detailed instructions, I called Steve in Customer Service and had him walk me through the steps. I like to actually talk to a person, in English, and I also like to check out how their customer service is. I'd give them a A+!

Once I had it all set up, I clicked the button that says "Do you want to remember this info" which means from now on, I dont have to enter any passswords, the laptop just automatically logs on as soon as it finds it.

So no more arguing between Cindy and I, and now anywhere in the camper we have a strong signal.

They offer a few other devices that will boost the signal to a 500 foot range, but I dont need to be supplying the whole parking lot with free Wi-Fi. They also offer routers that accept the PCMIA type cards or the USB type like we have. Some will accept both, but the little one I got just takes the USB type.

So if anyone is looking for a way to share internet service, this is your link http://moremobileinternet.com/?EMAM

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #2

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Great Post

I'll be adding one to our Verizon Card since we plan to get a second computer, one of those 10 inch netbooks.

Nice Post, Thank you

Norm and Ginny Milliard

Old 03-08-2009, 09:26 AM   #3

SUN #680
dkasten39828 is an unknown quantity at this point
This is something I'd like to invest in, too!

Great report, Pat. I'm gonna have to see which month's budget to raid and buy this!
5.3 liter V8, 3.73LS, Prodigy, Hensley Arrow
2004 Sunline Solaris SE T-2499 #5527
dkasten39828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #4

SUN #128
Tweety
Pat...you have found way too many cool techy items. Do you have a consolodated list on your website with them all listed? ie. solar panels, type of batteries, Wilson amplifier, this new thing etc.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #5

SUN #115
emam
Hey Pam, they're mostly all scattered around on the site. But we do have a Review Page where I'll post up a bunch of cool things we find.

I only wish I would have knew about this when we lived in a stick house. I think we paid $100 a month for a internet connection. We're only paying $40 per month for our broadband connection through Verizon, and a router like this would have given us internet acces throughout the entire house!

Pays for itself in a few short months.

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote