Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #1

SUN #237
Capt Skup
Who built Sunline's trailer frames?

Curious who the builder was. In paticular the frames that Sunline used for their fifth wheels. I suspect(and a bit sceeered to know) that it was Lippert. I remember reading something about a Lippert factory in Lancaster. I haven't had any issues but still would like to know. Something funny our first trip out after purchase. Long vacation through New England. Wife told me she noticed the belly panel under the trailer hanging down. I crawled under and sure enough, Sunline had attached this large steel corrogated panel with small head sheet metal screws and the panel was pulling loose. So I had to visit a hardware store, buy correct fastners and a drill. Unfortunatly that night's stay was at Yogi Bear at Sturbridge, MA.(What a dump!!!!!). It was raining, our campsite was a muddy river of goo. I crawled under the trailer and replaced all those faulty fastners(lots on a 30ft trailer). I also discovered that Sunline had not fastened the lower strut of the four shock absorbers to the axles. Another fine mess. Sunline to it's credit did send me four new Monroe shocks when I told them of my adventure.

Capt Skup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Who built Sunline's trailer frames?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Skup
In paticular the frames that Sunline used for their fifth wheels. I suspect(and a bit sceeered to know) that it was Lippert.
I think you're correct.

Quote:
I remember reading something about a Lippert factory in Lancaster.
It's actually right in Denver, just down the street.

Quote:
Yogi Bear at Sturbridge, MA.(What a dump!!!!!).
I feel your pain. That's one place I don't intend to return to.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #3

SUN #237
Capt Skup
Is Lippert still there? FIgure the only business for their product in the area was Sunline. Last time heading up to Intercourse(why do I still get a chuckle typing that town's name?) to do some furniture shopping I almost detoured to stop by the former Sunline factory. Could bring myself to do it, just too sad to see. I wonder if anybody could still buy the name/logo/build sheets for the Sunline product and when the economy returns, bring Sunline backt to life?
Old 02-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Is Lippert still there?
As far as I know...the website says they still are:

LCI in Denver, PA

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #395
HappyCampers is an unknown quantity at this point
The frame on my F-304SR is a Lippert. I am also quite pleased with it's quality. It's very robust, and well built from what I can see, especially compared to some frames on other fivers. CaptSkup, have you had any structural issues? Have you had any axle issues? I torque my axles pretty hard backing into the driveway and I'm just curious how yours are holding up. Also what do you do to grease your large slideout mechanism? Our LR/kitchen slide squeals when being extended and retracted, and I've greased it a few times to no avail ridding the screech. I thought it might be because it is so large and heavy. Do you have any like symptoms?

Try the Outdoor World at Sturbridge, it very nice. It is a membership CG, but they do take some reservations from non-members from time to time. It's a little tight (wooded) but worth the effort.
2003 F-304SR (Last Sunline "The Big One")
1985 T-1650 (Current Sunline)
2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 HO Cummins
HappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:19 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Re: Who built Sunline's trailer frames?

Quote:
I also discovered that Sunline had not fastened the lower strut of the four shock absorbers to the axles. Another fine mess. Sunline to it's credit did send me four new Monroe shocks when I told them of my adventure.
Capt Skup

Would you have any pics of the Monroe shock mounting? I'm adding Monroe Magnums to my TT and I have to build the mounts as the back order for the mounts form Monroe is months off.

Any you have, much appreciated.

Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:37 AM   #7

SUN #237
Capt Skup
Haven't had any issues with the frame, and have towed it probably 5,000 miles so far. About the only suspension issue was the problem with the shocks not being connected. Herb Testor at Sunline told me that during assembly, the shocks are left hanging from the top mount due to the adding of weight as the trailer is built, one of the last tasks is to secure the lower stud to the axle bracket. About once a year I disassemble the wheels, inspect/repack the bearings and inspect the brakes. First time I did this, back in 2004 I found the right rear brake full of grease. Seems the axle seal had failed allowing the grease to enter. I have 7,000lb AlKo(thinks that the name) axles and I need to purchase new seals for next months repack job.
About the slide(I have one on the port side, dinette and sofa area), I do keep the rubber seal lubed up and also use the dry lube on the gear teeth of the slide mechanism. Have not heard any noises other than what I take is normal during operation.
I do inspect the frame where it is exposed for viewing, especially in the front compartment, I can see where the frame turns downward and all the pieces look good. Not to impressed with how Sunline made the cutouts in the frame for such things as battery venting, dump pipe pass through or how they cut a floor support to pass the toilet drain pipe down to the holding tank. Did a lot of work in that area. Replaced almost all the OSB subfloor with 5/8" plywood sealed with West Systems. The damn toilet flange had only been secured to the OSB with wood screws which worked loose, allowing water damage to the OSB. What a mess! Now new much stronger floor, new heavier duty flange through bolted and triple sealed. Lesson learned. Also I have removed almost all the exterior ferrous metal trim screws, rebedded the holes with 3M marine grade 4200 sealant and installed stainless hardware for the long haul.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:57 PM   #8

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Also I have removed almost all the exterior ferrous metal trim screws, rebedded the holes with 3M marine grade 4200 sealant and installed stainless hardware for the long haul.
Yup, a good thing to do. I'm collecting SS screws right now actually to do the same thing as some are starting to rust tear already. Found the cheapest place so far is Tractor Supply. Come warmer weather the screw fest will begin.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:58 AM   #9

SUN #237
Capt Skup
I am lucky that near me is a West Marine and a Boater's World store that carry an abundant supply of stainless hardware. I do think I have some exposed OSB in the wheel well areas, it was covered by that black fabric covering at the factory but that has proved not to be water proof. The OSB is starting to rot, so I will gain access and remove it and replace with more sealed plywood. Probably my next task is to remove most of the self leveling lap sealant on the roof and replace with Eternbond tape. Always something. Got to take care of the Sunline, not many other well built trailers on the market.