Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-12-2007, 07:23 AM   #1

SUN #246
Janalee
What size tv?

We own a 1998 Solaris 2653 with the corner entertainment cabinet and are looking to buy a bigger tv to put in that space..sewfancy has a 2499 and that space looks to be the same as ours (21X21X30)and in her posting of her pics, she shows a nice television..I would be interested to know what kind and size it is and also what others are using..Thanks! Jan P.S. Are any of you finding some bargains anywhere on the newer flat LCD's? If so, how are you fixing them into place w/o mounting them on a wall? I prefer to travel with tv in it's space....

'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:34 AM   #2

SUN #408
partimcmpr
We have a 19inch lcd hdtv on the corner cabinet of our 2553. However, we do not leave it there when traveling. I could not find any bargains on the smaller lcd's w/HD capability a few months ago. I opted for a unit with a build in DVD player until all this blueray/HD format mess works out.

Good luck on your search!

2006 Sunline T2553 Classic
https://dbmcbride.com/stttv.gif
partimcmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:51 AM   #3

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Small HD LCD TV

I just purchased a nice LCD HD TV, 15", from Circuit City for $219 for a friend.

Our experience with LCD TV's has been very good. We have traveled for three years with a 15" Sylvania LCD mounted on our Bedroom wall without a problem. It can run from a 75 watt inverter, the type that plugs into a 12 volt outlet, without a problem. Our LCD draws about 25 watts.

Most impressively we have driven down some frightfully washboard roads without any ill effects.

Norm Milliard
Old 09-12-2007, 08:52 AM   #4

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
We just bought a 20” LCD TV from Wal-Mart. It’s an SDTV, not a HDTV.
We didn’t spend the extra $ for an HDTV because:
1. We don’t have HD reception at home.
2. I think the chances of getting an HD single at a campground are minimal.
An HDTV needs an HD signal to take full advantage of that feature.
3. And we don’t watch TV that much while camping.
Therefore, we chose to spend the extra $ on a larger digital TV than an HDTV.

We have the TV positioned on top our corner cabinet and held in place with bungee cords. The bungee cords are attached to a screw hook but into the wall near the corner and cabinet. We have a loop bungee round the base & attached to the hook and then two small bungee cords attached to each top corner of the TV and to the hook. Can’t see the bungee cords and hold the TV in place. Only problem, the TV short-of hides the antenna power button, so you have to reach behind the TV to turn it on and off.

I’ll try and get up to our trailer some time in the next few days and take some pictures of the setup to give you a better idea.

A few suggestions to consider when buying a TV for your trailer, if you haven’t bought a TV yet:
1. Make sure it has a digital receiver. Some LCD still have an analog receiver, which will be outdated and useless without an adaptor by 2010.
2. Measure the space you have to see what will fit.

Some things I learned from Pat's (aka emam) experience and used when purchasing ours:
3. Get a LCD not a Plasma display. Plasma displays don’t hold up to the vibration and stress created in the trailer when traveling.
4. Purchase it from a chain, not a locally owned store. If you have problems on the road with the TV, you can go to one of the chain’s locations to have it fixed, replaced. Etc.

Hope this helps.
Hutch

As promised, here are pictures and the method we used to secure our LCD TV while traveling. We wanted to come up with a method where we wouldn't have to move or store/setup the TV each time we traveled or got to the campground.

First, I put a small hook in the wall near the corner of the wall and close to the cabinet top were the TV will site on. I positioned so the hook’s opening was down to aid in assuring the bungee cords stay attached to the hook.

The approach is to use bungee cords to secure the TV. One ball/loop bungee cord and two small bungee cords.

The ball bungee cord was looped around the base of the TV so it was positioned between the TV’s base on the bottom of the TV.

The 2 small bungee cords would connect to the left & right top corners of the TV, using an air vent on each side to hook the bungee cord into the TV.

All bungee cords would be attached to the wall hook.
The 2 small bungee cords attach to the wall hook to keep the TV from bouncing forward.

The ball bungee cord keeps the TV pulled back to the wall.

I actually attached the bungee cords to the wall hook in the opposite order. First I stretched the ball/loop bungee onto the wall hook, then, one at a time, I attached a small bungee cord to the wall hook and stretched it and attached to a corner top air vent of the TV.

This approach has keep the TV secure during traveling, plus the TV is ready for viewing without any moving around.

I’m currently thinking of a way that we can mount our DVD player under the wall cabinet directly over the TV. This way everything will be set and secure.

Hope this helps and maybe sparked an idea for you to position and secure your own TV.
Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #5

SUN #196
tinybluetj
We are looking at a flat screen with a DVD built in. We figure we can use it in the house, and pack it up to go when we need. We do not really watch TV a lot when camping, but we like a move late at night, if it is cold out.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:15 PM   #6

SUN #115
emam
I think Hutch said most of it with his post, but I'll say a little bit of what we've learned.

I agree that HDTV is somewhat useless unless you have one of the satilelite receivers that broadcasts an HD signal. When we bought ours, there wasnt really an option to get one that wasnt HD ready, so both of ours are HD ready, but I guess if we ever move them into a home, then they will be ready.

We also choose to get one with a built in DVD for the bedroom so we wouldnt have wires hanging or have to worry about mounting the DVD player. Both of ours are 23" models and are more then enough for the small size of the camper living space.

Most of the mounts could be screwed into the base they are sitting on without any noticeable mounts. Ours are on wall mounts and after 15,000 miles on the road, only the one with the DVD player has acted up on us, and it's only with about every 3rd DVD we play. Cant figure it out and when we talked about getting it fixed, they said it's very comon for any DVD player to reject movies these days, sort of saying you're screwed.

When you compare the weight of any Plasma or LCD compared to a normal TV and how much space the old monstors take up, its well worth the added cost of the lighter models. Only thing I'd stress is to stick with a major brand name store so if anything acts up while you're on the road, you dont have to hunt for a place to return it to.

Good Luck

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:16 AM   #7

SUN #379
2beagles
We bought a LG 20" LCD TV at Best Buy on sale for $239.00, and it fits right in to the compartment over the dinette. It will also sit on the corner hutch in the bedroom. We went for an HD model and picked up an upconvert DVD player which plays normal DVD's in HD. There's a big difference in the picture, and the player was only $79.00.
We haven't been able to get much reception over the air, but we like to watch DVD's in bad weather or late at night.
I must say that it's most confusing buying a new TV these days. Comparing all of the different features, resolutions, and sizes can be quite overwhelming after a while.
We had a merchandise credit at Best Buy, and ended up going to four different BB's before we found the model we liked in stock. They all had different models, but were out of stock on each one we liked. We'd go to another Best Buy who had the TV we wanted in stock, and they'd have one we liked better (also out of stock.) We finally found the LG in stock on the fourth try, and we bought it.
Problem is, it's got a nicer picture than the one in the house!