Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #1

SUN #4668
bbnkansas is an unknown quantity at this point
Water Softner in holding tanks

Question for all you experienced Sunliner's and other travelers...

Have any of you ever put water softner or water softner salt in your holding tanks?

I read an article today where a guy put water softner in his black and gray tanks to help clean and deoderize them. Just curious if this is a great inexpensive way to help keep the tanks clean instead of all the chemicals.

What are your thoughts?
Bob

Old 03-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
I use Arm and Hammer washing soda (not baking soda, washing soda) in the black tank.

This one
Arm & Hammer Multi-Brand - ARM & HAMMER

I do not use it for odor. I use it to help soften the water so everything slides out easier. I have enclosed tanks and they are pretty flat. They need help to drain the stuff out. I can tell the difference of normal hard water to using the washing soda.

I use bacteria and enzymes in place of the chemicals. Seazyme or Happy Campers.

I do not use the washing soda in the gray tank. I do however have tank sprayers in both tanks and I flush both after dumping/camping.

Hope this helps

John

I do not know if using a water softener by itself will do much for odor.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #3

SUN #4668
Thanks for the advice. It seems Arm & Hammer is easier to get than water softner...at least I can not find the water softner in the local Wal Mart. Chemicals are so expensive in the long run...if there is something else, then I want to use it.

Where do you get the Seazyme or Happy Campers stuff at?

I truly appreciate your comments!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #4

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been using Calgon water softner for a while based on something I read on a forum somewhere. It seems to let the tank empty cleaner ... I think. I do have a hard time finding it and when my wife went looking all she found was Calgon bath and body products !! I think I may try the Ajax that John mentioned above.

One interesting thing I noticed since using the Calgon, after I dump the black tank it will show 1/3 full but if I wait an hour or two it shows empty. I think it just needs time for the sensors to dry.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #5

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnkansas View Post
Thanks for the advice. It seems Arm & Hammer is easier to get than water softner...at least I can not find the water softner in the local Wal Mart. Chemicals are so expensive in the long run...if there is something else, then I want to use it.

Where do you get the Seazyme or Happy Campers stuff at?

I truly appreciate your comments!
Your very welcome. The washing soda is a really old way of softening the water when washing cloths. And softwater just plain cleans better.

I picked that tip long ago from another RV forum before Sunline Club came to be.

Here is the Happy Camper. I bought it from these folks. However they now sell it at other places and maybe a little bit less cost. For the normal tank treatment you only need the regular Happy Camper, not the extreme cleaner which is for heavy cleaning of the tank.
Happy Camper - Odorless Holding Tank Treatment Black and Grey Water

Sea Zyme. I have not bought it in a while and cannot find it on the site I use to buy it from. Here is one hit on it. Try the open web, the marine places use this.
Sea-Zyme Solid Waste Treatment - Toilet Paper & Chemicals - Toilets - Plumbing & Sanitation - Downwind Marine

I do use the Happy Camper in both the black and gray tank. You have to mix it up in water first then pour down the drain. I use a 12 oz canister that Crystal light came in. Fill 3/4 full with water, put a scoop of HC in, put the top on. HOLD on the top tight, mix and then pour down the sink or shower drain and then do the black tank.

Good luck. Many here use different tank treatments. From nothing to preserve it.

John

Old 03-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #6

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I

One interesting thing I noticed since using the Calgon, after I dump the black tank it will show 1/3 full but if I wait an hour or two it shows empty. I think it just needs time for the sensors to dry.
H'mm, I have never had this happen. However I also have tank sprayers so the probes get rinsed each time we dump as well. Also do not know the exact difference betwene Calgon and A & H Washing soda if it even matters. The sprayers may be the difference.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #7

SUN #4668
Currently my black and gray (2 gray tanks) sensors do not work. they do not show anything...not even empty. Hopefully I can get them working with the water softner and detergent. Like you Gene, I read where it helps, but, I wanted to ask everyone here on this site what their opinion is.

I bought a "flushing wand" to use when I empty out the black tank but I have not used it yet. We move from our current site ~ 29 April...before we move out I am going to use the wand vigerously when I empty the black tank. Then, I am going to fill the tank with several gallons of water...put detergent and ice in it and let it slosh around while we are on the go. When we get to our next site (approximately 45 miles away) I will empty the black tank and if I am lucky, the sensors will work. If not, oh well...I tried. Sure not going to spend money just to get them working. I will just empty the black tank about every 7 days and be done with it. We use the black tank for urination only...so, hopefully, in time, I can get the tank sensors working with the detergent and water softner.

I will let everyone know the results of my "test". LOL Thanks!

Bob
Old 03-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #8

SUN #246
Janalee
I sure can't help on this one since I stopped using chemicals about 6 or 7 yrs. ago when we registered at a park in Fl. and the owner insisted we drain and flush first at a certain dump station and swear to not use chemicals that would then affect his sewer disposal system..his theory was if your tank was emptied and cleaned regularly you would not have any odors.....he was right! I don 't have odors! Should I still consider it a test after all these years? Lol! But now I may try the washing soda to help my sensors and the stinky slinky! Janalee
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #9

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't use any either and have never had an odor problem. I think one thing that really helps is a weather vane vent. My old MH would stink when I opened a window driving, with the weather vane it never did it again and never had any small to it at all after installing it.