Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-11-2007, 06:28 AM   #1

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Water Freezing

How’s your chemistry knowledge?
Does anyone know if a bleach-water mixture will raise the freezing point of water?

I was sanitizing the water system of our Sunline yesterday with a bleach-water mixture. The temps were forecasted to drop below freezing last night so I decided to blew out the lines after sanitizing the system.

When I drained the black tank a frozen log came out where the bleach-water mixture had solidified within the outlet pipe of the tank. This happened round 7pm last night and the temps were above freezing (37-40 degrees). After I saw this I decided I better put anti-freeze down the drain pipes and in the tanks also.

But I’m trying to figure out what caused the water to start to freeze. It was only in the pipe for a couple of hours and the temps were above freezing.

Was it the addition of bleach to the water that caused it to freeze at higher temps?
Or did it have something to do with the 3” black tank pipe?
The bleach-water mixture didn’t freeze in either gray tank outlets (our T-280SR has 2 gray tanks – galley & bath).

It’s a mystery to me!

Any thoughts or ideas?
Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:26 AM   #2

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you drain the black tank before adding the bleach solution? The "log" may have formed from left over water during the winter, and thawed enough to come out now?? Just a thought.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:42 AM   #3

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Mack

Good throught, but I drained all tanks prior to this so it wasn’t from a winter freeze. Plus the tanks had anti-freeze in them over the winter, which I had drained out earlier in the day.

What I did yesterday was fill the fresh water tank with water bleach mixture and ran it through all the water lines, purging the lines of anti-freeze and filled the HW tank with water-bleach mixture.
Then I emptied the black and gray tanks to empty them of winter anti-freeze and the water-bleach mixture put in them from the sanitizing process.

So the black and gray tanks were empty when I blew out the water lines. The water that was in the black tank and froze was only from blowing out the water lines.

Interesting huh!?

The other thought I had was I use a small compressor to blow air through the city water intake to blow out the lines. Could that forced air add some additional cooling affect to the water?

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #4

SUN #197
wcoleman
Bleach would actually lower the freezing point of the water you added it to...pure bleach freezes well below the freezing pt. of water.

Wayne