Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-30-2014, 08:37 PM   #1

SUN #6471
McKisses is an unknown quantity at this point
Virginia trip

440 miles each way, 10mpg from our chevy express 3500, not bad towing almost 7000lbs, pretty sure almost at the max for the van.
On that issue, no problem towing at all still had power to spare and braking was fine and not much transmission hunting.
Only issue was with the Reese WD pro, noticed sqeaking/grinding, metal on metal, it was coming from the bars rubbing,
Slide out on our T280sr does not like moving out when the rig is way off level and pushing up hill..lol

Looking forward to next trip.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:49 AM   #2

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
[QUOTE
Only issue was with the Reese WD pro, noticed sqeaking/grinding, metal on metal, it was coming from the bars rubbing,
QUOTE]

A tad of Vaseline will do wonders and not effect sway control.

Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:01 AM   #3

SUN #6471
Thats a good idea, I did read on their web site that the bars should be lubricated with heavy grease, I will see what we have.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:51 AM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKisses View Post
Thats a good idea, I did read on their web site that the bars should be lubricated with heavy grease, I will see what we have.
Hi McKisses,

You mentioned a Reese WD pro hitch, can you post a pic?

Reese makes a lot of different hitches, some need/want heavy grease and others do not.

This is "one" of the Pro Series hitches from Reese

Do not let the "Pro" words give you an idea of what the hitch is. The Pro series hitch listed in the picture is a round bar (round trunnion bars) WD hitch with an added friction anti sway bar. I really do not know why they call it "Pro" as it came out with less features then their standard Reese Round bar WD hitch. It is the lowest price point WD hitch. From what I can tell the "Pro" series WD hitch was launched at a price point to compete with others in the market, prominently EAZ Hitch, Husky etc.

That said, it does work acceptably as a WD hitch. On this style hitch (if this is the one you have) you should, with grease:

1. Lubricate the tow ball. This helps stop the heavy wear in the trailer coupler and the ball. (Use a baggie over the ball to keep the grease off you , if not DW will let you know each time... My pant legs have a magnetic attraction to the grease. The baggie helps.

2. Lubricate the WD bars where they pivot in the hitch head. This prevents wearing out the hitch head in these high pressure zones. You can see the shine of wear, those are the heavy stressed areas. The non shinny areas have clearance when the hitch is working and you need very little in the non shinny wear areas. This does make a mess when the bars are off the hitch with the way the round bar hitch is made. Bigger baggies are possibly an option. The hitch will last a good long time, think 100K miles and not wear out if these points are lubed. Life is about cut in half with no lube.

3. The snap up bracket can use a light oil from time to time (once a year ish) in the pivot point of the snap up. This helps on the rust that can come over time.

The Vase-O-Line Jim was referring to is for use on the Reese Dual Cam (DC) part of a hitch. It is unique to that vintage Reese hitch and the top of the line in the Reese Family for anti sway. It is not show in the pic above.

Since you have a T280SR, odds are high you could be sitting right on a 1,200# loaded tongue weight with no fresh water or water in the tanks. I have measured several Sunline loaded TW's on this model and they have all come out in the 1,100 to pushing ,1300# range loaded ready to go camping. It depends on home much stuff is in the front kitchen and the rear storage under the back bed.

On your slide having issues going in and coming out with strain on the slide motor, tell us more about this, there are some things that can help pending what the problems are.

When you are on level ground, no stabilizers down does the slide go in and out OK?

Do you notice a difference if you are only using the battery to power it or when you are plugged into shore power it then goes a lot easier?

Is the problem occurring at camp when the stabilizers are down and tell us if you are plugged in or only on battery?

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:53 AM   #5

SUN #6471
Thanks John, yes that is my WD, it was supplied free with the camper from the dealer.
The slide is fine on level ground in and out, the site we were on was very uneven and unlevel, i needed almost 4 " to level it side to side, once level it worked fine. I put it out with the stabilizers still up.
I am very impressed with the detail of your help, thanx again.

Ian
Old 08-31-2014, 11:15 AM   #6

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
In regards to your sway control I didn't realize it was the friction pad type. When I used one I would take it off before backing into or making tight turns out of campsites.
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:29 AM   #7

SUN #6471
I do take the sway control off when backing up, i believe the issue of noise was from the metal to metal contact on the sway bars, dealer never said they needed lubrication and as my first trip, 200 miles away was noise free i didn't realize i was supposed too, now i do, thx all.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:48 AM   #8

SUN #6471
In regards to the tongue weight, no i have not weighed it, van sits well with the WD, it was set up by the dealer we bought the trailer from. We don't load much in the front i loaded as even as I could, I was thrilled how well the van and trailer traveled as I said im sure i am close to the max allowed total weight recommended by chevy,
But I could still beat tractor trailers off the line..lol.
I used the haul/tow button took off the cruise control unless we were in a flat open area, no hunting for gears.
Odd thing though, I felt more of a push from cars than I did big rigs, just a little correction needed i think the reese was doing its job well.

« How Far? | Tapatalk »