Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #1

SUN #78
tedontario
Trouble with graphic panels

Just wondering if anyone has a way to repair the graphic stiping. On our 2004 2499 there are a few locations where it is starting to tear and peal off. we do not have a power washer so I know we didn't start the trouble so befor they start to really come off I would like to repair said damage. Thank you in advanc for the good ideas I know I will get.
Ted Wheeler

Old 07-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Ted,

I'm afraid I don't have a good solution for you. You will just have to watch the spots and make sure it doesn't peel any more. What is peeling, graphics on metal or fiberglass?

All I can say is try to take some sort of adhesive and reattach the peeling pieces. I've tried it on replacement logos that the original adhesive didn't hold, but never for repairs. If it were a whole logo that was coming off, I'd recommend a thin film of silicone, but I don't think it will work in your case. The adhesive should help some, but you will have to keep an eye on it. I'm surprised you're having trouble with a 2004 model. The only way that I've seen striping peel is if it was replaced at some point and the new was not installed properly. Sunline had excellent graphics people and apply the striping almost flawlessly. The reason I asked about where the striping is peeling is the metal siding had the striping applied when the metal was still flat, and then it was bent with the striping on it. When the striping was applied flat, it was almost perfect. The doors were done later, along with other details (like storage doors), and that could have been done on the coach out on the floor, and more dust could have been present. The storage doors couldn't have been done ahead of time since the same door was used on a few different models.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:15 AM   #3

SUN #78
tedontario
Hello Jon;
Thank you for your reply. The problem is with the small pieces that are added to the main grphic to finish it off. The main paint strips are in very good shape and go very well with the colour on our pick up. It is just the curved end pieces that are pealing.
Thanks agin for your help
Ted
Old 07-03-2007, 06:58 PM   #4

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
Funny you should ask this question about now Ted, I just applied a few of those today. I didn't have the advantage of purchasing the graphic pre-cut, so I visited a local sign shop and bought a few feet of white and dark blue sign vinyl. Back at the camper, I cut out the pieces and applied it. Looks pretty dang close to factory to me! Her's a few tips if you decide to do this.
1-I had tried removing the old graphics from my 92 Solaris, but due to their age, they were a mess to remove, so I primed and painted over them first. I don't know for sure, but you might be able to heat and peel yours. Be careful of using heat near the undamaged stripe.
2-The sign shop suggested adding a paper to the top of the vinyl to keep it more stable during application and I'm glad they did b/c once you peel the backing off, you're left with an extremely thin sheet of vinyl (3 mils).
I first tried using a detergent/water spray on the surface first (with a scrap) only to find that it wouldn't stay in the grooves, so I applied it dry. You can still lift it and reapply as long as you don't squeegee it down too hard. I used a wax and grease remover on the surface of the trailer before application.
3-Use the squeegee to press into the grooves as you go, the top paper can be removed afterwards
4-I was told that I could layer the graphics with no problems so I first applied the white backgound, then the blue over that (I see Sunline did this as well).
Hope this helps,
Rich
Old 07-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #5

SUN #196
tinybluetj
Rich,
I would love to see pics, if you have them. (Just out of curiosity!)
Old 07-04-2007, 10:49 AM   #6

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
I will be posting pictures of the entire re-do soon. I'll post it in a seperate thread labelled "New" 1992 Solaris, or something similar.
Rich