Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-23-2011, 07:57 AM   #1

SUN #78
tedontario
Travelling to eastern /maritime Canada

Hello everyone

We have some friends who are not part of this forum. They are planning a trip to the maritime's They have a small TT and pull it with a Jeep.( I have a Canadian question for you. I have been checking the Internet and it seems that, from Michigan to Nova Scotia, the elevation is basically not really mountainous. Maybe 50-300 meters in height variation. Am I getting that right?
I am asking because I want to plan a camping trip to Nova Scotia in Sept. 2012 but cant pull my camper with the current Jeep if it is mountainous. I would have to get a larger engine first (a different vehicle).)

I have never been there and was wondering if those who have could give he and I some pointers.
Thanks Ted

tedontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:35 AM   #2

SUN #597
henryj
You can get a good picture of the terrain by selecting that option in Google maps. The St. Lawernce valley is very flat. Rivière du Loup to Fredericton is quite hilly, but still not like driving through the US. Along a good part of the Gaspe and Cape Breton shoreline, mountains come straight out of the ocean, so absolute altitudes are a little deceiving--the grades can stlll be significant. We've towed around the Gaspe, but Cape Breton is much better solo and there are campgrounds on both ends of the NP. Other than Cape Breton, NS is much flatter around the coast. So, you may want to do some careful planning, but you can't avoid Rivière du Loup to Fredericton.

Henry

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #3

SUN #78
tedontario
Thank you Henry for the reply. I have passed it on to our friends in Gaylord MI. I was also talking with a brother in law who used to drive big rig out to the Maritime. He enjoyed the drive but his wife says the roads are very narrow and the fog was bad. For my self there are lots of places to visit where I can relax and enjoy the drive.

Thanks again Ted
tedontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I go up to the Gasp'e a lot from Maine and there is a hill that the locals refer to as the 4 mile hill in western N.B. (Robertson) they are right it is and it's very steep pushing 12% so yes there are hills in western N.B. I get to the top in 3rd gear in my Toyota with my T1700 good thing I have 6! From the west on Canadian 2 heading towards Fredricton it is hilly but no worse then you would encounter any where else I can climb them in 5th or 6th and the roads are great the Canadians actually spend some money on their major roads.