Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-05-2018, 08:52 AM   #1

SUN #10922
Trayeary is an unknown quantity at this point
Towing capacity and 2363 vs 2499

Hello all,
I am new to the club. I owed a 80's Sunline years ago. Then went to a pop up and currently own a hybrid. I want to sell the hybrid and purchase another Sunline. I'm currently looking at a 2363 but I love the extra bathroom space and tank size in the 2499.
We have a 2009 Ram 5.7 Hemi 1500 quad cab. What is the safest GVWR we should consider?

Old 10-06-2018, 07:58 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayeary View Post
I'm currently looking at a 2363 but I love the extra bathroom space and tank size in the 2499.
We have a 2009 Ram 5.7 Hemi 1500 quad cab. What is the safest GVWR we should consider?
I will try and help. We need more info on your truck to better answer your question. This post can help. Yes there is a lot there and we are willing to take the time to explain it if you need that kind of help.
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...ing-10775.html

To answer your question based on the numbers, we need all the truck info especially the actual loaded weights of the truck by axle (front and rear) along with all mandated camping gear and people inside as a starting place. You can load up the truck and go to a truck scale for about $10 and get that info. Pickup trucks with large cabs use up available payload in the truck and then extra camping gear in the truck and people use up even more. What is left is the available payload to support the camper.

This much I can tell you quickly between the 2 models you picked. The T2363 is a much lighter camper. It maxes out at a 5,500# GVWR on the newer models. Some of the older ones were 5,000#. The T2499 is a much heavier camper as all of them had a 7,000# GVWR. And the T2499 is one of the heaviest loaded tongue weight campers Sunline made in the non slide campers between model years 2003 to 2007.

The loaded tongue weight is going to be your largest problem on the T2499 and your truck to work through. Loaded meaning when the truck and camper is fully loaded ready to go camping. Your truck may be able to pull both campers but holding up the loaded tongue weight of the T2499 will be an issue. Odds are high you will be over the truck rear axle rating, the truck receiver rating and the GVWR on the truck. The T2499 starts with an 800# totally empty tongue weight. When the camper is fully loaded that tongue weight can be 1,200# and up to 1,400# if you have to haul fresh water to camp in the camper.

We used to own a 2004 T2499 and it is great camper. We loved it. However after we bought it we realized our 1500 Tahoe was bing overloaded with the heavy tongue weight. After a lot of soul searching and trying to lower the weights, we traded it on a 2500 Suburban and all was well after that.

Some folks with the exact right pickup truck and towing packages can do the T2499 with a 1/2 ton beefed up truck or a almost non loaded T2499. But it will take time to sort all that out and your truck may not fit. The 1/2 ton Rams I have helped on so far, available payload was the problem to overcome.

Hope this helps and glad to help more as needed.

Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:50 AM   #3

SUN #10922
Thanks so much John. You answered my question. I thought I would be driving today to look at a 2363 for sale but after discussing it with the owner last night I found out that the awning leg is loose and has rusty screws and there has been a puddle in the floor that they thought was condensation from having the heat on and the wall paper border is coming off the wall in that same location. I decided not to drive 4 hours one way until after the owner takes a second look at the issues. I am a bit worried now that it may not be in the best of shape.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:53 PM   #4

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayeary View Post
Thanks so much John. You answered my question. I thought I would be driving today to look at a 2363 for sale but after discussing it with the owner last night I found out that the awning leg is loose and has rusty screws and there has been a puddle in the floor that they thought was condensation from having the heat on and the wall paper border is coming off the wall in that same location. I decided not to drive 4 hours one way until after the owner takes a second look at the issues. I am a bit worried now that it may not be in the best of shape.
Hi Trayeary,

Glad to help on the truck as needed.

On the water situation, something is not adding up. The heat running in the camper will not create water on the floor in the camper from the furnace. That is if they are using the on board camper furnace that came from Sunline. The Sunline provided furnace has a heat chamber that intakes fresh air from outside, mixes it with LP gas and then exhausts the burning gases outside and not inside. Only inside air is blown across the heat chamber and by convection heat off the outside of the heat chamber blows back to the inside of the camper. The furnace heat would actually dry out the camper.

If they are using some kind of LP gas aftermarket furnace inside the camper with no exhaust to the outside then that is different. But still, water puddling and wall paper wrinkling are signs a a water infection from a leak.

If you are going to buy a used camper this post can be helpful on inspecting the camper for water damage by using a pinless moisture meter. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...per-17613.html

If you have the ability to do woodworking repairs, the camper can be fixed by you. It is time consuming, yes but it can be about the only way to practically afford large repairs is to do it yourself. The moisture meter can help tell how large the wet area is. The owner may not have any idea there is a leak as they may not be able to see the water leaking in. But it can be trapped in the walls, ceiling or floor. At least knowing your buying a water damaged camper may help on lowering the price and knowing eyes wide open you will have some work to fix it. Or to pass on that one and keep looking.

Hope this helps and let us know if you need more. Good luck on your search to find the right Sunline for you. The T2363 is a popular floor plan and I like that one as well.

Thanks

John

Old 10-08-2018, 05:29 PM   #5

SUN #10922
John, your moisture meter information was very helpful. Thank you so much! Our current camper had leaks from the lower storage compartments when we bought it so we got a good price.
We removed the dinette and bottom bunk bed, pulled up the floor, removed some boards, sistered some boards, and put marine wood hardener on some others and ended up with a good unit ... but this particular Sunline had previous roof issues that "someone fixed" and that, couple with other issues scared me off. I will wait and look for another.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:44 PM   #6

SUN #89
Glad the info was helpful. The moisture meter is a really good tool to help inspect a camper before buying one. It takes some understanding on where to look and how to use it, but it has helped many already. Keep trying to spread the word before folks buy.

Looks like you have been through a "fix it" camper already. Good for you tackling that.

Hope the camper hunting continues to go well.

Thanks

John