Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-07-2011, 06:26 AM   #1

SUN #96
rebellious78
Top Gear

Friends,

I wanted to post this here so it would be seen more. Tonight's American Top Gear show is about the the trucks of the Big 3. It should be interesting. The show time is 10 pm

Dave

David & Mary Ann
2018 Ford F350 Dually 6.7L Powerstroke
2006 Sunline Solaris T-264-SR
2012 Palomino Bronco B1500LB
rebellious78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
It's a re-run and very funny! They even have a nipponese nutbucket, for any of the trucks that can't stand up to the punishment!

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #3

SUN #96
rebellious78
Sorry I thought it was new. The discription says its new on History Channel

Dave

David & Mary Ann
Old 08-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious78 View Post
Sorry I thought it was new. The discription says its new on History Channel

Dave

I just checked the listing... This one is different, than the one I watched... It must be new!

Sorry!

"America's Strongest Pickup"
Premiere Date: 08/07/2011

Which is the toughest truck in America? Tanner, Rutledge and Adam head into the mountains putting their trucks through impossible tests. Plus, Tanner takes a new off-road vehicle to the Louisiana swamps to race an air-boat. And comedian Bill Engvall stops by the Top Gear test track.

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:14 AM   #5

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
It was a good watch if it was a rerun. That kinda stuff I can watch reruns of.

I think the Ford could have climbed the hill with a lighter foot on the pedal instead of trying to power all the way up on that loose stuff. The Chevy was a close second and I can't figure out why they tried that six cylinder Ram in there with the others. No competition at all there.

After watching the BBC version of T-Gear I feel the American market is very restricted.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #6

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
I think the Ford could have climbed the hill with a lighter foot on the pedal instead of trying to power all the way up on that loose stuff.
I agree, but I've heard that the Chevy 4x4 system is much superior to the Ford system, which could have contributed to it. Particularly with the rear end limited slip system.

Also, the extended burnout both in the contest and at the beginning of the 1/4 mile certainly didn't help matters. The stock BFG Rugged Trails are decent tires, but they do suffer quite a bit off road compared to a true off-road counterpart such as the All Terrain T/A. IMO, to really get a good test, they should have put the exact same tires on all the trucks.

And believe me, I have personal experience getting an F-450 stuck in sand before and it isn't hard to do at all It has a limited slip rear end too...

I know some of you have these specs handier than I do, but I'd like to see the actual wet weights of all three trucks. They compared two one ton trucks to a truck much heavier than a one ton.

I was a bit disappointed with the towing tests, though they were entertaining nonetheless. A telephone pole, really? I'll bet a half ton gas could do the same thing in low gear too. A train, sure that was fairly legit but these things can pull quite a bit in low gear on flat ground. I'd like to see it pull the train and keep it going up a hill... And a house- well, it took three attempts to jerk the house apart and it really just pulled a wall out that caused the rest of the house to fall. They needed some gigantic bumper pull or fifth wheel loaded down and all three try to pull it up a steep incline like from a dead stop, maybe with a little rough road before it too. No boats either, since they're a joke in the tongue weight department.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #7

SUN #1830
The show was for entertainment only, for sure. It would have been better if they atleast hooked all three to the train. Then keep adding rail cars.

A long time ago I was a Chevy auto and a Ford truck kinda guy. Today it seems corners get cut so each has a shortfall of somekind. Today I'd go with the Chevy all the way, I think. What has changed my mind is all the plastic Ford uses on my expedition. Plastic is for toys, metal is for trucks.

Have you noticed that new vehicles only have one door with key entry? Now that is a really big savings.

The show I'd really like to see is testing any vehicle on the different fuels. I would like to see bio-fuels shown for what they really are.

jim
Old 08-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #8

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
A long time ago I was a Chevy auto and a Ford truck kinda guy. Today it seems corners get cut so each has a shortfall of somekind. Today I'd go with the Chevy all the way, I think. What has changed my mind is all the plastic Ford uses on my expedition. Plastic is for toys, metal is for trucks.
Considering I have three grandparents who retired from Ford, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I kinda agree. I would still stick with Ford for the trucks as I'm a firm believer in the Super Duty. GM's Duramax isn't that bad now, and of course you can't beat the Allison trans, but I just like the way that Ford has thought a lot of things out with the Super Duty. They keep amazing me with every new model revision even if I don't necessarily care for the exterior appearance as much as the older body styles.

But...I'm not too much a fan of Ford cars. I've always thought they've been behind in the market. My grandpa has a Focus wagon which I had the pleasure of driving last night. The thing feels like a death trap. I was questioning if I was in a car or a golf cart. On top of that, everything inside is completely different than all the other Ford products we've had. The wiper controls are night and day different. And I can just see the difference in quality between the Focus and the trucks. I think this Focus is fairly loaded too since it has heated seats and fog lights. But IMO, it seems appointed like the equivalent to an XL Super Duty.

I have quite a few friends with Chevy cars. Some with Malibus, one with an Impala, and one with a new Cruze Eco. I've ridden in a '10 Malibu and the new Cruze and the quality of each seems better than the equivalent of what Ford has. The Cruze certainly didn't rattle and vibrate going down the road like the Focus and it was much quieter than the Focus. The general fit and finish of both the Malibu and the Cruze really impressed me. The only thing that really shocked me was when my friend with the Malibu told me a story. She had a flat tire, went into the trunk to get the spare, and found it only had a can of fix-a-flat. Sure enough, look in the new '11 Malibu brochure, and the spare tire/jack kit is optional. I respect that they tried to save weight/costs by doing that, but it might have been better to have it a delete option so that people who don't realize aren't without the spare. Her flat ended up causing a call to OnStar, who towed her to a dealer and she had to wait from Saturday until Monday to get the car back with a new tire.

Quote:
Have you noticed that new vehicles only have one door with key entry? Now that is a really big savings.
I think a lot of that is for security reasons too. The early Excursions has key locks on both front doors and the back window. By the 2005 models, only the driver's door and the back window had a key lock. Down in Texas, there's a huge problem with people punching out these door locks with a screwdriver, breaking into the truck, and then stealing it. There's quite a few breaking & entering cases in the same way in the rest of the country. Many people have placed metal plates in front of these key locks and sometimes even removed the locks to prevent thieves from getting in. I could imagine the same thing could happen with other cars too.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:26 AM   #9

SUN #1830
Maybe the reason I liked Ford trucks is that they felt like trucks. Tough, firm and able to see all four corners. It is probably just my old body but everything on the road feels that way now, except for seeing all four corners.

The fullsize Ford cars on the Crown Vic chassi were all hard to get into, caused extended body movement to reach anything and the corners were hidden so it would be aerodynamically slick. I think that holds true for most new cars.

For cars I gave up on Ford and Chevy after riding in a Chrysler Town n Country van. The most comfortable vehicle I'd been in with confortable, recliner comfort, seating except for the rear passenger seats. Ergonomically designed with everything within easy reach and easy to get into and out of. If I could have gotten one with a V8 and towing capacity, I'd still be driving one.

Maybe the keyless lock systems are a deterrent to theft but I've never met a dedicated thief that couldn't get in anywhere he wanted. Especially kids doing a joy ride where respect for property means nothing. When wireless is used for everything crooks will have wireless passkeys. Or they will simply break the window. Locks are only for honest people.

There are functional conveniences that make sense. The controls on the steering wheel, the backup camera, position sensors, but heated seats in Florida? We only order them if we think we'll see the car to a snowbird at tradein time. LOL! Seriously, buying a new vehicle, car ot truck, requires a lot of planning and thought. I miss my 1950 Packard. Comfort, strength, room and solid as a rock.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:57 AM   #10

SUN #987
awellis3
Opening a can o' worms

After looking at all my options, I chose the 2010 Tundra.
Looks like a truck, built like a truck, hauls and tows like a truck. Fit and finish like a luxury car, comfortable towing long distances.

Oh, and when my buddy's Ford got stuck hauling his pop up out of a muddy field, it came to the rescue.

I don't mean no harm, I'm just sayin'...
Teach
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:13 AM   #11

SUN #1830
Toys are great trucks. They do look alot like Fords to me but then they all look alike to me.

I mean no harm either,

jim
Old 08-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #12

SUN #385
Hematite
Sounds like the Top Gear video was more theatre of the absurd than anything else. While you guys are having fun talking trucks you might want to watch this video. Yes, it is a Ford video but the facts are the facts and the parts are the parts. I love the Toyota ball bearings on the rear axle, yeah, real tough. As my FIL, correctly, would say, "nothing rolls like a ball and nothing smashes like a ball".

Ford - The Truth About Trucks#

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #13

SUN #763
MOKID
That is why I drive a Ford F150.
2014 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x4 Eco Boost
2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Motorhome
MOKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:43 AM   #14

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKID View Post
That is why I drive a Ford F150.

Ditto
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:01 AM   #15

SUN #987
awellis3
Good video. Now they need to remake it using a Generation Two Tundra for comparison.

Teach
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:06 AM   #16

SUN #385
Hematite
It wouldn't matter, the results would be the same. Ford sets the standard, everone else tries to catch up. The V6 EcoBoost is a perfect example.

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #17

SUN #96
rebellious78
We have owned nothing but Fords and had no issues to speak of. It comes down to what you like. I agree to that Ford produces the best all around truck on the maket, and it been proven many times.

David & Mary Ann