Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #1

SUN #213
Diane is an unknown quantity at this point
Tires

I'm getting ready to replace the Duro tires on my TT and have pretty much decided to go with Maxxis but still some doubt about the decision. The local Western Auto sells Carlisle tires and recommends the radials. Looking for opinions on Maxxis vs Carlisle, please and thank you!

Former 2011 North Trail & 2014 Open Range
Current 2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Diesel
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #2

SUN #2174
suebobby is an unknown quantity at this point
After hours of research and discussion, We went with the Carlisle. Very happy so far, just make sure you get the latest production dates. We asked for no older than six months old and got them. ST205X75R 15 Radial.on 2005 T-2075. Cost to us $99.00 installed for C rated, should be about $10.00 more ea. for D rated. Maintaining 50# pressure and covered when parked for more than a couple of days. Have had no experience with Maxxis but Google will scare the heck out of you regardless of brand.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:58 AM   #3

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think what really scared the heck out of me was that I googled ALL brands of trailer tires and couldn't find a one brand that had very many good reviews.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #4

SUN #2174
suebobby is an unknown quantity at this point
Not being an expert in the tire field I finally let go and gave it up to a tire dealer in business for over 80 years(three generations). They do very little car tire business, mainly big rig, farm tractor and trailer tires. He could have sold me" more expensive tires but not any better tires". Fred Harz Tires, Elmer, NJ. So far so good.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #5

SUN #213
Choosing trailer tires seems to require the services of a magician as there are bad reviews for all brands. I end up being more confused than ever.

We checked the DOT number on the Duro tires on the TT and it is 1410 neaning they were made in the 14th week of 2010. We took delivery of the TT in April 2010 and have traveled about 4,000 miles since then. The tires hold air very well and don't appear to have any stress cracks. They are covered 90% of the time and the driveway surface is hard-packed crushed stone that drains very well.

The TT has wider-spaced axles and one question we had was whether radial tires would be appropriate as the wide spacing results in more scuffing of the tires. I need to call the TT manufacturer and ask this question and will do so this week.

So for now we are not replacing the tires. We are traveling to southwestern PA from eastern MD July 1 for a wedding so we will see how the tires perform.

Diane
Old 06-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Diane

Yes the trailer tire saga is now a mess and it should not be. I use to have higher regards to Maxxis until I saw HenryJ's 2 year old ones split beyond imagine which was shocking. And I know Henry is a stickler on tire pressures and even has a TPM system. Those tires some how slipped through their quality control.

The sad part is the tire industry knows how to build a quality tire that will not crack or split nor blow out when used correctly. And I have no problems paying for a quality tire if I can find one... The only tire that may be left made in North America is the Goodyear Marathon and that is dwindling quick unless some areas can still get them. In 3 years I'll be facing this exact same question. What brand?

The best thing any one of us can do it check the tire pressure before any trip. Coming or going to camp is ideal but for sure at least going. No brand will have a chance if it is under inflated. I myself subscribe to the max cold side wall pressure on ST trailer tires.

I am curious what the factory will say on using ST radials on a spread axle TT setup. Please report back on the findings.

Also what was leading you to replace the tires? I know Duro had issues a while ago but do not if those issues have been solved.

Good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #7

SUN #213
Hi John,

Wow, had no idea that HenryJ had tire problems with Maxxis!

The factory has no issue with using radial tires with the Wide Trax suspension. That's good to know! The factory rep told me that he is using Duro tires on his 5er and that the tire issues for the most part have been resolved. Folks on the Heartland forum who have switched from bias tires to radials all seem to be happy with the results and state the RV tows better with the radials.

As to why replace the tires, it appears we were not thinking clearly and just reacting to postings about trailer tires in general and Duro in particular. However, after actually looking at the Duro tires, the DOT code is 1410 so the tires are not that old. They look to be in good shape and never lose air. They are at the recommended inflation and always covered when not traveling. It seems that we should get through this year just fine with the Duro tires and consider replacing them next year before we take a long trip. I can only hope that tire manufacturers start to make better tires but doubt that will happen.

We are leaving July 1 for southwestern PA for my nephew's wedding and camping in my mother's yard. That's a trip of close to 300 miles one way so I hope Murphy is somewhere else and there are no tire issues to report on.

Diane