Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-25-2008, 07:15 AM   #1

SUN #83
Both2Retired
Tire Pressure

When pulling a travel trailer, should the actual cold tire pressure be the maximum pressure printed on the sticker on the inside wall of the driver's door or the maximum tire pressure "printed" on the tire?

5.7-Liter V8 Hemi
5-speed auto
Both2Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #2

SUN #408
partimcmpr
Are you asking about you TV or TT tires? I would not exceed the maximum tire pressure as indicated on your tires. Have you changed the type of tire you are using on your TV from what came on the TV originally?

2006 Sunline T2553 Classic
https://dbmcbride.com/stttv.gif
partimcmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:12 PM   #3

SUN #83
Both2Retired
Tire Pressure

"When pulling a travel trailer, should the actual cold tire pressure be the maximum pressure printed on the sticker on the inside wall of the driver's door or the maximum tire pressure "printed" on the tire?"

In my original post, I was talking about the tow vehicle. I know you should never exceed the maximum tire pressure as indicated on the tires. I want to know whether one should follow the maximum tire pressure indicated on the tires or the maximum tire pressure indicated on the truck door (a lower pressure).

Thanks!
5.7-Liter V8 Hemi
5-speed auto
Both2Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #4

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
Here's a link to a thread I recalled reading, I hope it helps answer your questions regarding tow vehicle tire pressure.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/ph...=tire+pressure

for more links to other threads on the topic just open up the forum search link at the top of the page here and enter in the appropriate keywords.

Take care,
Jason
Old 05-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #5

SUN #597
henryj
Load Inflation Table

Since you have a RAM 1500 I'll assume you have P-series tires. Tires are not usually the weak link compared to the rear axle until you get to a 2500 truck. Either way, the pressure printed on the driver's door is the pressure that will give you the weight carrying capacity Dodge has specified for that truck, probably 35 psi?? P-series tires can generally be inflated to 44 psi, but that doesn't increase their load capacity. That will give you a harsher ride, but possibly better handling as well as a P-series tire is quite soft and often on a less than optimal wheel width. However, too much pressure will decrease the tire patch on the road and also wear the centers faster especially when your truck is lightly loaded.

I had LT225/R16 Load C tires on my previous 1500 and ran them at 50 psi front 60 psi rear most of the time. This tire is a little shorter than the P235 which throws off the speedo a bit, but its performance and handling is a huge improvement over the factory P235 albeit with a harsher ride.

If you have LT tires you can match their pressure to the load you'll be carrying which is how they are designed. Air them down for solo driving, air them up for towing. You cannot do this with a P tire. You still can't air them down too much or you'll get soft mushy handling, lower gas mileage and wear the outside edges. In any case you must build in a generous allowance and never risk under inflation.

Here is a link to Goodyear's Load Inflation Table:

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/tirecare/...iontables.html

Google Load Inflation Table to find links to most other manufacturers' tables, but tire sizes/pressures/loads are standard.

Tirerack.com is also a wealth of information.

Strictly speaking you can play with pressures the same way with ST tires, but in practice the trailer manufacturers' have left less room. The ST205/75R15 on my 2499 have a load capacity of 1820 lb at 50 psi and 1720 lb at 45 psi. Anything less and I'm already under the 7000 lb GVW the 4 tires have to carry. However, those tires don't carry the tongue weight, but I just don't feel good about messing with them and will never run them at less than 45 psi.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:01 PM   #6

SUN #597
henryj
More Tire Info

Here's two tirerack.com links that will help with what I said in my previous post.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=70

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=55

Henry

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote