Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #1

SUN #78
tedontario
Tie Wraps and Wheel wells

Howdy fellow campers;

I do hope everyone is enjoying the summer which all too quickly is coming to an end. I am of mixed feelings about that as the faster it goes the faster I come to the point where I may be well enough to return to work and next camping season will be on the way.

I have a couple of questions pertaining to our very nice 04 2499. I want to attach a 4" white pipe to the bumper so there is a place to mount the dump hose that will not rust. The longest tie wraps I can find locally are 24" long which to short. So I am wondering what others have used. I want to stay away from metal straps due to the rust trouble I may encounter over time.

Wheel well problem... While working around the right side wheels we found two wood screws hanging out the bottom of the vinyl wheel well. We took them out, I assume they were dropped in during the construction of the TT. The trouble is the wheel well does not attach to the trailer for a couple inches at that location. Would anyone have encountered this problem and what did you do to attach the wheel well to the chassis to keep out water. I was thinking of using a caulking compound.

Thank you for the help and I hope everyone has a great day

Ted

tedontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #2

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
Hi Ted,

Well if you take a look at a tiewrap you will see they can be used as two made into one by simply inserting the tongue end into the square reciever end you have essentially created a double long tiewrap...I've used them this way often in situations requiring longer than was available. Others may suggest an entirely different approach though...but I think that would do it in a pinch as long as they were properly engaged and snugged down.

Bob

GoodoleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #3

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ted:

I'll second Bob's solution, I've used double tie-wraps many times with no problem.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #4

SUN #766
phillong
When I bought mine, the owner had the 4" white pipe in the V brackets under the rear end. Not sure what they call them, but they are the V straps that are welded under the frame to absorb the shock when bottoming out.

He then put a fixed cap on one end, and a removalbe cap on the other end to put the hose in.

With the caps on each end, it was impossible to remove or lose the pipe. Plus I think it actually absorbed some of the "bottom out" to prevent the V's from bending.

Phil
Old 08-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
OK, heres' my sewer hose holder:

PVC/Vinyl fence post cover, 4 square rubber furniture casters, (2) 6" long eye bolts & nuts, and 2 bolts & lock nuts.

Drill hole on top of each end of bumper (about 1" in from end), drill hole in each end of fence post cover so that they line up with holes in bumper. Drill bolt holes thru the rubber casters. Insert bolt thru PVC post cover, then thru "2" casters, then thru the metal bumper, put lock nut on.

OOPS ! before you attach tube to bumper, drill a hole from side to side about 1" in from end of tube, this is where you will insert the long eye bolt when you put your sewer hose in it.

The casters keep the tube from rubbing/wearing on your bumper, the tube design with the eye bolts allows for good air circulation. With the PVC you don't have metal turning your sewer hose into a "Soaker Hose"

I ended up using a small hitch "clip" on the end of the eye bolts along with the nuts, and never had a problem with losing them.

Hope this makes sense to you.

Kitty

IF I had put a tube thru the skid "V", you can see what it would have done to my sewer hose holder. They are crushed after 2 outings. That was also my reason for lifting Sunny.

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Ted

Sent you an email with a pic for your wheel well.

The sewer hose. There are the square tubes like Kitty and others have used and then there is the 4" PVC pipe type. I made this up before I knew about the square tube. It works very well, has many 1/2" drain holes along the bottom to let air in and water out.

And pulled the bumper off and painted the inside. Rag on end of long stick and ram roded it back and forth.

My brand sewer hose fits right in. I have 2 10 foot sections. One poked in from each end. One is the main one with a 90 degree elbow on it an the other and extension hose in case I'm more then 10 feet away.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:10 AM   #7

SUN #78
tedontario
Well what can I say? As usual you have all come through for us again! We have decided to mount the pipe 0n the bottom support as Phil had mentioned since it is the easiest. WE first want to touch up the paint and maybe while we are doing that we will clean out the bumper as John has pointed out. Kitty that is a neat job you did on the pipe holder Should be very easy to work with when you need the pipe. Too bad we can not just push a control while driving down the road EH. It could all just dump and enrich the road side growth..... Kitty I also wanted to say you have my admiration as a bus driver. I was thinking about a day I stopped by my daughters as the bus was arriving. I decided to get the grandchildren to the bus across the street. One of the boys was just 4 and when it wasn't going his way he would just throw himself on the ground. Long story short I had to carry him on and sit him in a seat for the driver to get going.
Thanks again
Ted

tedontario is offline   Reply With Quote