Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-07-2014, 12:25 AM   #1

SUN #4422
noralee is an unknown quantity at this point
thoughts on windy weather tipping over campers

i know there are a lot of factors that affect this topic, but i've been experiencing some heavy wind storms, one with gusts up to 65mph. and it gets pretty shaky in my wee 1350. i am permanently situated on level grass. i have an uphill at one side, and my hitch side faces a home-like structure that is taller than the camper. on the other side is downhill. and mostly flat/open land at my rear end.

it's awfully hard to sleep through the wind when i'm worried about the camper and me toppling down the hill. it doesn't look pretty in the middle of the night in my head. obviously the camper is filled with stuff and weighed down quite a bit. any thoughts?

Old 04-07-2014, 06:26 AM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I think you are pretty safe the camper has a low center of gravity with things around you it's not like the middle of Kansas. Oh yes it will shake, my house does! I live in the Mt's and we are pretty much the highest thing around it's not unusual for us to have 40-60 mph winds any time of the year.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #3

SUN #5367
FiveORacing is an unknown quantity at this point
They put small trailers on trucks and drive them down the road at 70 mph. They are chained down from the frame to the deck of the truck with chains. If there was a means of getting permanent tie downs on the ground ie: a concrete pad with some integral hooks under the trailer or even half of a 55 gallon, half buried under the corner of the trailer and fill them with concrete and a large re-bar hook. Then either chain or strap the trailer frame to the hooks. Not a means to ride out a hurricane but it would stop the rocking and provide some peace of mind in strong winds.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #4

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
If there was a means of getting permanent tie downs on the ground
They make a tie-down for mobile homes. It is basically a two foot long auger that gets twisted into the ground and has an eye-hook on top. Run a cable through the eye and around the frame and clamp it. We had a trailer on a permanent site in Fenwick Island DE and if you left it on Site over the winter it had to be tied down.

Our trailers(2) rode out several Noreasters and Hurricanes over about 20 years strapped this way

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:38 AM   #5

SUN #4422
noralee is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for the thoughts here. glad there are options if i decide to go t hat way. i can live with the shaking i suppose as long as i know i won't end up at the bottom of the hill.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #6

SUN #4364
dtstanton is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same concerns while going down the road in our 1350. I try to avoid traveling in crosswinds of more than 35 mph or so. Here in the panhandle, gusts can double that at any time. It's not a real concern if it's a head- or tailwind, but coming from the side is another thing. I would agree with the tie-downs in your situation. With a fixed setup, it really needs to be anchored.

TT: 1988 Sunline T-1350
TV: 2003 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3L
dtstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #7

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
My previous package (years ago) was a 1990 Ford Aerostar V6. I towed a 1973, 2700lb Glenelle. While the van was a light weight, the trailer was a Sherman tank. I also had a class 2 weight distribution system on it. It towed beautifully and never one concern.

Now I tow with a Ford Explorer V8 4x4/ AWD. I tow my T1350 that weighs 1750 lbs dry weight. I searched online and contacted many, many RV shops plus one very reputable hitch installation place that has been in business for decades. All together they said I do not need a weight distribution system.

Mines tows as though there's nothing behind me. I have encountered some windy situations but not any real heavy windy situations.

I think what I would do if the wind ever got to the point of being scary I would hook my Explorer to the trailer as an added anchor while in the campsite.
Disclaimer: (tornadoes and hurricanes are not included ...time to get out of Dodge for that)

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote