Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #1

SUN #808
BillsFan
Thinking of Buying a 2003 Sunline Travel Trailer

I have an opportunity to buy a 2003 Sunline travel trailer. I believe it is a SR series based upon the owner telling me it is a 29' unit. Before i travel 3 hours to see it (emailed photos show excellent condition) is $8900 a good price and is there anything I should know about this model?

I know there are a lot of what ifs, not looking for anything concrete, just ideas from people who own these trailers.

Thanks

Old 03-19-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Bills Fan,

Welcome to the group and possible ownership of a wonderful Sunline. The "SR" denotes that the unit has a slide out. A model number would make it possible to get an approximate value for the rig.

Big thing to look for is signs of water penetration, check inside every cabniet, all around every window, around the entire ceiling where it meets the wall, around all items like roof vents, TV antenna, air conditioner, looking for any sign of staining, wrinkles that might be a possible leak.

I live fairly close to you, so "IF" I can be of any assistance with checking on this Sunline for you, I'd be more than happy to help you.

Just let me know,

Kitty

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:38 AM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd be glad to take a look at the pics to see if I see anything that doesn't look right or anything that you should look at closer when you do go to look.

Send me a PM if interested...

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #4

SUN #128
Tweety
It sounds like a good price if it's in good condition. Sunlines are known to be quality built trailers, so chances are good that you'll be pleased. We've owned nothing but Sunlines since the 1980s and not had any issues with the 3 we've owned. If you want to tell us where this unit is located maybe someone on the forum lives near it and would take a look for you before you drive 3 hours.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #5

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to Sunline Club, BillsFan!

One thing you may find helpful is to go the the Files section of this website, select Sunline Brochures, and then download the 2003 Sunline Travel Trailer Brochure and print it out.

In that brochure, there are 3 Slide Room models (the smallest of the bunch) that have a GVWR of 8,600 pounds. The remainder of the SR trailers (including the T-299 which I think may be the one you are looking at) are all 10,000 pound GVWR trailers.

For the 8,600# units, you would be about at the safe maximum towing capacity of full size SUV's like the Suburban or 1/2 ton pickup trucks (even the "heavy halfs" that were available for a while.) Most of us would suggest that a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup are much better tow vehicles at this weight range.

At 10,000# GVWR, you're pretty much limited to 3/4 or 1 ton pickups for a tow vehicle. Half ton trucks don't cut it at this weight, even though a couple of manufacturers spec the latest models to tow this much. IMHO pulling a trailer in that weight range with a half ton pickup is unsafe.

Now on the other hand, if you are going to park this thing on a seasonal site and never drag it anywhere, forget what I have written about towing....

Like Kitty said, double-double check for any signs of water leakage not only from the roof, but check the floors for soft spots that might indicate water damage that is not visible.

Make sure that there are no leaks in any of the plumbing systems. For example, pull drawers under sinks (there's a little tab you bend forward at the back of the drawer and it'll slide right out) and look for any sign of leaks.

The refrigerator is supposed to run on 12vdc/propane and on 110vac. Make sure it works on both. Check to see if the recent Dometic recall has been performed on the unit. If not, don't worry about it now; you can call any RV dealer/shop who services Dometic and they can do the upgrade. Elsewhere on this site there is a sticky about the recall and how to proceed It's easy and once the shop sets an appointment, it should only take about 30-45 minutes for them to do the job.

Check all the lights. Look for signs of abuse or damage, inside and out. Inspect the tires and see if there is excessive uneven tire wear. There's a great post in Repairs/Maintenance here about tire wear issues.

Make sure that the unit has been properly winterized and that there is pink RV antifreeze in all the sink and shower traps and a bit in the toilet bowl. If possible, turn on the pump and open a faucet briefly to see if pink stuff comes out. Winterizing and de-winterizing is no big deal. Almost all of us have to do it, even the folks in northern Georgia. You'll find several posts about that here, too.

Pull the plug on the hot water heater from the outside service panel and make sure it was drained for the winter. Obviously you can't test it if it is properly drained, but you can inspect it.

Just check everything as best you can. Check the microwave, stereo, clock, smoke detector, propane detector, etc. etc. etc.

One thing I would point out is that a 6 year old Sunline in good shape is a really good thing. Even though Sunline is no longer in business, all the installed appliances and components in the units can be serviced by almost any decent RV shop. The magic of the Sunlines is in the design, materials, and assembly.

As soon as you can determine the exact model and let us know what is in it, particularly airconditioning, Jon can look up a blue book price for you.

Good luck!

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #6

SUN #808
BillsFan
First and foremost thank you all for your responses and advice. I received some additional information from the owner and learned that it is a model 2975. As it has no sliding room this may be a deal breaker for my wife, but I have not ruled it out.

As far as a truck goes I think Im fine, I have a 2002 F350 with the 7.3 Diesel : )

Here are some photos of the trailer...

Old 03-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #7

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
Sharp looking coach and a pretty decent deal. Don't forget about the additional cost of the weight distribution hitch/tow set up if it's not included in the deal from the seller.

Take care,
Lode
Old 03-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #8

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsFan
First and foremost thank you all for your responses and advice. I received some additional information from the owner and learned that it is a model 2975. As it has no sliding room this may be a deal breaker for my wife, but I have not ruled it out.

As far as a truck goes I think Im fine, I have a 2002 F350 with the 7.3 Diesel : )

OK you got the truck covered.....

Good luck. That is a nice looking coach and if it is in very good shape, the price is not bad for the quality and size of TT that large.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #9

SUN #525
sunlinefamily
We,ve had 2 2003 sunlines a 1950 (no slide) & a 267sr (slide). We really liked that year for sunline interior colors. The 1950 with out a slide was roomy enough for two of us. We would still have it except when we had our 2nd child we decided it was time to upgrade. We looked at the 2003 & newer sunline brouchures on this site to pick a new floor plan and did a search on rvtrader.com, rv.net & this website to try to locate exactly what we were looking for & we found several to choose from.

Ditto on checking for water leaks inside the trailer. Plan on touching up the roof seals or having it done by an rv dealer soon after you buy a trailer to stop any potential leaks in the future. Its best to check it every year as the caulking tends to dry & crack over time. Mine needed it in the four main corners of the roof but it didnt scare me away from buying it because the inside didnt show any evidence of leaks.

The model you are looking at looks like it has a nice open area in front of the couch but with that being said my wife says she would NOT go back to a trailer without a slide out.