Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #1

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Surge Guard Owners-What do you do with the shore line plug?

Fellow Sunline Campers

We recently bought a Surge Guard and used it this weekend for the first time. H’mm, now using this I have some question on how everyone else uses it.

Here is the Surge Guard in use in a Central Ohio State Park CG. This is the shore power posts we have here. And these are new power posts as of 2 years ago. Note: The camper shore cord takes a real hard flex at the ground not great for the cord and the plug connection is not really water tight covered. If the water pools up at the base, like I have seen occur or it rains real hard the joint between the plug and the Surge guard can have water get to the blades of the plug.

It is like the Surge Guard is too long. Or our posts are too short….

I can create rain a water shield for the plug out of a Glad or TupperWare food container but I still have a length issue. Before I reinvent the wheel, how do all you Surge Guard users deal with the plug on the ground and the ability for water to get to the plug?

Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #2

SUN #132
Makers Mark
We do not have a surge guard yet, (now that I said it something will happen), just thinking a cheap office type waste container should cover the whole post. When not needed it could hold many things in TV. On the cheaper side how about a clear leaf type garbage bag. Could be bungied on bottom to cover pole and guard with no storage issues.

By the way, does that little "no dog" sign on the post keep the dogs from "using" that post?

2015 Rockwood 2608WS (SOB)
SUN # 132
Makers Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #3

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makers Mark

By the way, does that little "no dog" sign on the post keep the dogs from "using" that post?
H'mm well, there was no dogs last weekend.... but that is assuming the dogs can read too I guess...LOL

Actually, last weekend the power did trip out in the camp ground. I have no idea if a mini surge came with it or if the Surge Guard actually stalled it out. How I knew the power bliped is we had the seperate yellow line run to the camper to power a 2nd small heater. It stopped running, then restarted while the rest of the camper dropped out and reset the clocks until the Surge Guards timed out and came back on. These Surge Guards are sort of like Home Owners insurance. You pay for it and pray you never need it. Summer time AC season is really the concern as the odds are higher then you have a problem.

John

Old 01-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #4

SUN #385
Hematite
John,

I bought a surge guard before our last trip out so I have limited experience but I can offer some ideas.

First, I wouldn't worry about the sharp turn, it doesn't look too bad in the pics. The shore power will only bend so much then the cord coming from the surge guard will start to bend so they will protect each other that way.

I can see the point about being close to the ground. In the example that you show it looks like it would take 6 inches of standing water to engulf the shore power plug. If there was 6 inches of standing water, the electrical connection would be the least of your problems! LOL!

I did learn one thing about surge protectors that MAY help, though. In researching about them, some people have complained about surge suppressor theft. Some brands do make a cable to lock them to the power stanchion. My brand does not. The fix for that is to put a black plastic garbage bag over the power stanchion to hide the suppressor . Out of sight, out of mind. The bonus there is that the suppressor and connections are covered so that rain, etc. will not affect the connections. I think that covering things with the black plastic bag is the best answer.

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #5

SUN #115
emam
I know this is after the fact and probably no one will actually do this, but why not return the one you have and purchase one that goes inside the camper.

This solves the problem of water, theft and doing anything other than hooking up a cord and popping open a cold one

I looked at the model you have, but decided that if we get one, it will be the one that goes in the cubby under the couch on the inside of the camper. Just too worried about theft, and weather conditions when I was doing my research. I've yet to pull the plug on the purchase.....Sorry, I had to use that pun in this context

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:16 AM   #6

SUN #385
Hematite
Pat:

I can't speak for others but I have seen surge protectors that have "taken the hit". They get melted, burned, etc.. I decided then that I didn't want that action going on INSIDE the Sunline. Toxicity of the burned plastic and possibility of incidental ignition is better kept outside.

The theft part is really effectively discouraged, so I understand, by the cable locks or the black garbage bag cover. Also, if the suppressor gets "hit" it's very easy to replace when it's external.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:25 AM   #7

SUN #385
Hematite
I believe that this type of lock can be used on all surge suppressors to lock the suppressor to the shore power plug, at least that's what it looks like it would do.
http://www.rvstuffusa.com/surgervgua...haspbytrc.html

Theft of this type is one of convenience so I would think that this would be an effective deterrent.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:39 AM   #8

SUN #385
Hematite
For those still looking, I did a lot of research and found that Progressive Ind. units are made in the USA and are very high quality units that are also price competitive. An interesting discovery is that when I bought the 30 amp unit, the one I bought had much higher specs than listed on the website. Their policy is to upgrade them continually.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/

Old 01-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #9

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by emam
I know this is after the fact and probably no one will actually do this, but why not return the one you have and purchase one that goes inside the camper.

This solves the problem of water, theft and doing anything other than hooking up a cord and popping open a cold one

I looked at the model you have, but decided that if we get one, it will be the one that goes in the cubby under the couch on the inside of the camper. Just too worried about theft, and weather conditions when I was doing my research. I've yet to pull the plug on the purchase.....Sorry, I had to use that pun in this context
Pat

Yes I did look at the inside ones. But Like Hematite I have seen the aftermath of a brown out one that melted it like toast. The Surge Guard gave up it's life to save the camper. A novel thing for that much $$$

Then I thought, well I can put the remote in a junction box under the camper. Well then the box may get hot enough and start the plastic cover on fire.... Maybe not but the thought crossed my mind.

So I got the outside one. Now I have to deal with it.

So far the bag trick is at least one option. Looks kind of strange but is functional. Have not yet figured out long term what I'll do.

For theft, the slip over lock covers that are out there seem to work on the standard plugs. But me being me...upgraded the the handle pull plug which is great but the lock cover does not work. BUT I have the lock thing figured out on how to do that on the cord set I have.

Just have to figure out the next step up from the big green bag cover. Hematite is right, out of sight is out of mind.

John

Old 01-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #10

SUN #115
emam
Good point guys on the melting of the box inside the camper. I guess I never knew that when they go, they go that catastrphic

I thought they just shorted themselves out like a powerstrip you'd use in the house when it goes. I've never had the experience (luckily) that one has completely melted.

I guess I'll reconsider putting it inside the camper.

What we were looking at these for were while traveling in Mexico, almost every campground that had power, had very limited power, and most of them were making our meter bounce like we were driving down a bumpy dirt road.

We said next time we head back down there, we'd get one for sure. I was looking at the Huges Autoformer model and had read so many good reviews of it. Quite pricey, but I guess you pay for quality.

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:26 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
In the nifty neat pegboard storage compartment

I have to admit, that until JohnB made this post, I totally forgot that I have one of these hanging in the compartment, so that really proves I'm blonde And, I even have the nifty neat lock, but now John reminds me that I did the power plug upgrade, so, Hey, I have a Surge Protector security lock, for sale, CHEAP
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #12

SUN #385
Hematite
Pat,

Under minor power problems, the suppressors reset themselves. It's when there is a catastrophic power fluctuation or a lightning strike on the campground power supply that the unit will stop the current but it will be destroyed in the process. I saw a couple of pictures of suppressors so damaged and decided then and there that I didn't want that to be IN my Sunline.

In one case the damage was caused by an electrical company wiring or rewiring a campground. Happened in broad daylight on a sunny day. The other one I saw was melted by a lightning strike.There's was not much left of either suppressor but they DID protect the camper unit. This is one of the accessories I'm REALLY glad that I bought for peace of mind.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #13

SUN #385
Hematite
Pat,

If you're looking for a portable unit that is more sophisticated than the basic unit that I bought, this might be what you're looking for:

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_pt30c.htm

Old 01-13-2009, 05:55 PM   #14

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Electic Fires

We had a situation in our Motorhome that could happen in a tailer that is worth mentioning.

One day I put my hand on the metal panel of our breaker box and found it was warm. I removed the cover and found that a number of wires were charred.

The bouncing lossened the screws causing a high resistance junction to form between the copper wire, aluminum bus bar (used for white wire connections) and the steel screws.

I now reqularly tighten the wires as well I applied grease used on aluminum wires to prevent oxidation.

I posted this on our Motorhome's help web site and found I was not the only one to have this as a probelm.

Of course most people don't drive their RV's as much as us, less vibration, but its something worth checking when getting ready for the season.

From Congress, AZ

Norm and Ginny Milliard
1982 Sunline 15.5 SB
2004 Honda CRV
Old 01-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #15

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hematite
Pat,

If you're looking for a portable unit that is more sophisticated than the basic unit that I bought, this might be what you're looking for:

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_pt30c.htm
Rick, H'mm that is a good looking unit by the specs. It even has a few features mine does not. Price is in the same range, just Surge Guard by TRC may be more popular and can be found about $100 cheaper. But like I said it does have some more features and a higher joules rating. If I would of known of it prior, I would of looked and searched more on it.

Also noticed it is 16 1/2" long. But the receptacle is in the body of the unit not hanging out the end of the unit.

Here is the TRC unit I have http://www.trci.net/products/surge-g...g-30a-portable

Old 01-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #16

SUN #385
Hematite
John,

Yes you have the "big" 30 Amp Surge Guard unit. That and the Progressive Industries unit are excellent units. I found last Summer that in doing a price search that they both seem to be discounted to about the same level.

One reason I went with Progressive because they have a policy of continually upgrading their units. When I went and bought the smaller 30 amp unit, the specs were WAY higher than listed on the website, a very pleasant surprise! I think that I read something on their site that with the larger units, you can periodically send them back and the company will upgrade them to current higher specs.

The customer reviews on RV.net were overwhelming positive about PI. All that really pushed me in their direction. I'm very satisfied with the small unit but I think that I would probably go for the big 30 amp unit next time, it is MUCH more sophisticated!

I notice that on the large unit there is a locking bar attached so you can lock it to the pedestal, nice touch! I'm sold on using surge protection for my Sunline, even the big protector is very cheap insurance for the VERY expensive electrical components in the coach. Hmm, maybe I'll just order the "big" unit and keep the one I have now as a reserve!