Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #1

SUN #1272
tmar04 is an unknown quantity at this point
sunline tt1550

I have a 1994 sunline TT1550 and was wondering if the framework,(uprights, floor crossmembers and ceiling braces) are welded steel or some other material? I remember older travel trailers had wood 2x2 bracing. just curious. thanks to all.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmar04 View Post
I have a 1994 sunline TT1550 and was wondering if the framework,(uprights, floor crossmembers and ceiling braces) are welded steel or some other material? I remember older travel trailers had wood 2x2 bracing. just curious. thanks to all.
What you can see of the frame under the trailer is pretty much all the steel in the trailer. The upper framing is all 2x's of various sizes.

I know of several brands that offer welded aluminum framing, but not steel. Steel is way too heavy for this market

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #3

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
I took my 1550 down to the frame. The walls were 1-1.5 inches thick. The frame is wooden, members were basically square in cross section.

The structure is very flimsy once you take out the cabinets. The cabinets provide the structure, effectively creating walls that are 1-2 feet thick. This design works very well, creating a trully light weight rig.
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #4

SUN #1272
tmar04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Norm, thanks so much. I figured if anyone knew, you would.

Terry Martin
Old 09-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #5

SUN #1632
WandaLust is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda03842 View Post
I took my 1550 down to the frame. The walls were 1-1.5 inches thick. The frame is wooden, members were basically square in cross section.

The structure is very flimsy once you take out the cabinets. The cabinets provide the structure, effectively creating walls that are 1-2 feet thick. This design works very well, creating a trully light weight rig.
Are you still using your little 1550? I miss ours and all the storage space it had. It was also so cozy. The Zinger is 5' longer but lacks easy to reach storage space. Randy can now sleep inside instead of having a bed out in the tow van. The 1550's bed was too narrow for two people to sleep comfortably. About 6 months after we bought the Zinger I saw a nice Sunline on Craigslist that would have fit the bill for us. Early next year we're planning to check out FL again as we're hoping to move there now that he's retired. We'll be going down with our 3 cats in the Zinger for possibly a month or more.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #6

SUN #292
We've taken our little Sunline apart and added 8 feet to it. We now have a walk around bed and even more storage. We have only increased the width of the bed by 4 inches, from 48 to 52. Over the period of 7/12 motn RVing we have both lost weight and have not found bed width to be a problem

Today at a family party another couple was asking us about our trailer that bed, amazed we slept for 10/12 months in a four foot wide bed. They have a king size and love it. I said if I wanted to be single again I get a king size bed; you can sleep and not even know another person is there.

She responded that she kicked a lot and would keep her husband awake. I told her husband what my dad told me when I was young.

If a woman kicks you during the night it means she wants you. (As a side, it gives you pleasure and usually cures the kicking.)

I've been working on our trailer since May, virtually every day of the week. We now have it totally enclosed, with 4 of the 8 windows in, It's wired, ac and dc with most of the living room and bedroom done. I still have drawers and cabinet doors and the water system plus what amounts to an unbelievable amount of this and that. For me it's a big project and I;m beginning to doubt that I will finish before winter.

Fortunately we have a backup trailer, a 16 foot Casita that we can use this winter.

I intend to keep working on it with 6 weeks to go before we plan to leave.

I have been taking pictures but haven't posted in a while.

I will say it's been fun and as well my doctor told me this week that my numbers are the best in two decades. The physical activity has been good for my 68 year old body though I freely admit that in the begining I ached all over every night. Typically now only my hands hurt in the morning, definitely a sign of age.

Rving has helped me in many ways and even improved a great relationship

Safe travels to all,

Norm
Old 09-20-2010, 10:59 PM   #7

SUN #1632
Quote:
We've taken our little Sunline apart and added 8 feet to it.
Norm
(Respectfully brevity snipped)

I would love to see the progress you made on it and what it looks like when you're done. My husband isn't as handy as you are and he suffers from some type of painful fibromyalgia/arthritis. Since he and I both roll around at night, sleeping on the narrow bed wasn't working. Since he also snores, we really needed a TT with a bed at each end, even if the bed was wide enough. When I happened to check out some TTs at a local dealer who has since gone out of business, and saw there were beds at each end,.... we went for it. But like most TTs, none are perfect.

It's good you both lost weight and remain active. I believe taking to one's rocking chair and gaining weight is the worst thing we can do as we age. I didn't realize you were that old. You look much younger in the few pics I saw.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:24 AM   #8

SUN #292
I am old and getting more so each day. At my most recent visit my Doctor, a patient man who takes time to talk with you, said becoming sedentary is a death sentence. It takes very few days in bed for muscles to atrophy, for lungs to congest. The trick is to keep moving and RVing does encourage that.

We do not do long distance hikes, but a mile or two every day brightens our day and make tomorrow's walk possible. Being home is dangerous for me, too much food and too much entertaining. We do a lot better with respect to calories when we're traveling. Every time we come home we manage to gain weight over the summer thought the trend is down.

Arthritis is tough. I can feel it in my hands, a tightness every morning. As well every youthful injury makes it's prescence known as one ages. My practical doctor says getting stronger helps the joints, helping to support weakened structures.

There's no escaping age, there is a learning to live with it.

One of our family's mantras is "Life is a series of choice". We haven't always made good choices but we try to be awwre that we need to make choices and simply not respond to every urge. I will say one of our best choices ever was RVing to the end of our days.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:20 PM   #9

SUN #1632
Quote:
I am old and getting more so each day. At my most recent visit my Doctor, a patient man who takes time to talk with you, said becoming sedentary is a death sentence. It takes very few days in bed for muscles to atrophy, for lungs to congest. The trick is to keep moving and RVing does encourage that.

We do not do long distance hikes, but a mile or two every day brightens our day and make tomorrow's walk possible. Being home is dangerous for me, too much food and too much entertaining. We do a lot better with respect to calories when we're traveling. Every time we come home we manage to gain weight over the summer thought the trend is down.

Arthritis is tough. I can feel it in my hands, a tightness every morning. As well every youthful injury makes it's prescence known as one ages. My practical doctor says getting stronger helps the joints, helping to support weakened structures.

There's no escaping age, there is a learning to live with it.

One of our family's mantras is "Life is a series of choice". We haven't always made good choices but we try to be awwre that we need to make choices and simply not respond to every urge. I will say one of our best choices ever was RVing to the end of our days.
We too try to walk a mile or more at least 5 times a week. We are fortunate to have several beautiful safe parks to walk in where we live. We did a lot of walking this past long-weekend at Cage's Bend CG. We're also hoping we can RV until the end of our days.