Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-17-2010, 07:46 AM   #1

SUN #128
Tweety
Sunline copycat?

I stumbled across this website and thought WOW these look like some old Sunline floorplans, and the outside is shaped like the Sunlines. Especially thought Norm might be interested since you're designing a light weight trailer, and there are some interesting ideas here - not only with floorplan but construction.
http://www.livinlite.com/camplite-overview.php

2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:51 AM   #2

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Pam and Cindy,

Thanks for thinking of me. My latest design is similar to Livinlite in that it has a brazed (welded) aluminum frame for the walls and roof. All walls use block foam construction glued into the aluminum frame providing an insulation value from R10 to R15.

Mine does differ that the inside has wood cabinetry because we like wood and it's easier for us non-tooled people to work in wood. We hope to make very light wood structures.

Our trailer design has grown a little and is the length of a Sunline 1950. We've managed to squeeze in a walk around bed because we're aging. The walk around bed is really a modified walk around because though you can get out on each side, you have to leave the bed area to get to the other side. (The end of the bed has a wall to ceiling pantry with counter creating a broken L shaped kitchen.)

Thanks again,

Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #3

SUN #115
emam
Thanks for the link Pam, those are some really nice campers!!!

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #4

SUN #292
We're now south of Lakeland and understand there's a LivinLite dealer near Lakeland that we hope to visit this weekend. I'll post what we see.

Safe travels
Old 03-20-2010, 05:19 PM   #5

SUN #292
LivinLite

We visited the nearest dealer today and they had 4 Livinlite trailers, all popups. I knew that before driving up there but was interested in their construction techniques, particularly how they attached the inevitable steel components to the aluminum frame and structure.

The steel axle was bolted directly to the aluminum frame as were all other steel components including all jacks and the trailer coupler. I was concerned about the potential for galvanic problems between the steel and aluminum but apparently it must be an acceptable issue.

I will also say the construction seems sounds and the aluminum cabinet doors, looking very industrial instead of trailer homey, had marvelous industrial strength latches.

We're going to try to hunt down a non-popup unit on our way north.

Safe travels,
Old 03-21-2010, 12:23 AM   #6

SUN #115
emam
Keep us up to date Norm, I'd love to have a look at one of these little campers up close and be able to do some inspection like you're talking about.

They look realy nice on their site, and look like they'd be great for shorter adventures like we were talking about when you visited Cedar Key

These campers look like they could be pulled easily with something like your Honda or a Jeep which would make for a great vehicle to use as a platform where the camper could be left as basecamp and the Jeep would be used to go out on exploring excursions in the back country

If you do find one, do you think you could snap as many pictures as possible?

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:56 AM   #7

SUN #292
I will find one and take pictures.

Norm
Old 03-21-2010, 05:47 AM   #8

SUN #128
Tweety
Interesting....Shady Maple RV has 2. Sounds like an out to dinner excuse
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Old 03-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #9

SUN #128
Tweety
We went down to Shady Maple and stopped in at Shady Maple RV this morning to look at these trailers. They have 2 of the 13BH. Steve crawled around under it and loved that the all aluminum construction would never rust It is really funny to see an aluminum tongue. While he was under the trailer I went and got the salesman to open it up. The decor of the inside is very stark and cold. I realize you could warm it up with some fabrics and throw rugs, but even the benches are covered in vinyl. The floor is aluminum, the walls are aluminum, the cabinets are aluminum. Every thing is welded together. I don't know how you'd put in extra shelves and such unless you were a welder. Steve thought the inside looked like an ice cream truck because the cabinet doors latched like an ice cream freezer. The cushions are very hard. It didn't have heat or a bathroom, although some other models have a wet bath. It came with a porta potti. The fridge is also portable. I don't recall seeing a stove at all. The whole thing weighs 1500#, so less than alot of popups. It would be something to consider for someone with a small SUV, but the small Sunlines are much more homey. I guess the claim to fame of these is their lightweight towability. I think they could have made it cute inside by going with some sort of retro decor and using fabric instead of vinyl. As is it's just very sterile.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #10

SUN #292
I've yet to find a regular trailer, only the pop-up version. From the pictures of the trailer they do have a ulitarian look. It some how reminds me of Honda's Element, designed to be washed down with a hose.

What's amazing about these trailers is their load capacity, almost equal to their dry weights at the high end. I do agree from what I see in the pictures, definitely not homey.

I do see that it's the first ultra-light to actually be light and strong, now all it needs is an internal designer.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #11

SUN #132
Makers Mark
Aloha,
Hey Pam, was Steve crawling around before or after eating at Shady Maple??
Jay

2015 Rockwood 2608WS (SOB)
SUN # 132
Makers Mark is offline   Reply With Quote