Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-13-2006, 04:26 AM   #1

SUN #62
rich2500
sunline closed posted on rv.net

has anyone else seen the post that sunline has closed the doors on rv.net,has anyone heard of any truth to this.I hope it's not true

01 F-250 V-10 4x4 Lariat supercab SB auto 4:30 LS
draw-tite 1200# trunnion wd,friction sway control,prodigy
happy camping Rich,Maryellen,Josh and Jake
https://www.campingpa.com/
rich2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:08 AM   #2

SUN #59
VernM
From the RV.Net web site Trailer section:

"...closed doors and layed off all employees last Friday."

Response to a message I posted to LeRue:

"I am out of the office and cannot return e-mails. Contact your dealer for assistance.

Sure sounds curious.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:08 AM   #3

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Telephone Call to Sunline

I called and got a message that they are closed and the normal working hours are 8 - 5 M-F and I called after 9 this mroning!!!

I've heard that they do close for two weeks around Thanksgiving but I can't confirm that !!!

Let's all hope & pray this is not true.

About 2 weeks ago, I spoke with my dealer and he was saying that next years models will have major exterior changes....so it kinda blows my mind that production plans would be in the works and then they just close down!!!!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:33 AM   #4

SUN #78
tedontario
Sunline Closing

Howdy folks:
Well if they close I get to retire in 2008. I will be 62 and after 42 years driving big rigs I was going to retire. The chance was we would buy a TT and TV. The only TT we are interested in is the Sunline T2553. So, since we have been unable to find a new one at any dealer, if they close then we will forget the whole thing and pack it in. We have been so up in the air trying to decide what to do for the last two years I will be glad to have this out of the way.
Ted
Old 11-13-2006, 08:23 AM   #5

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
They closed for a week back in Oct. We were told that everyone was laid off at that time. It is very possible of a shutdown at this time....it is Thanksgiving and Deer Season!! Let's hope that it is a temporary shutdown that has gotten blown out of proportion.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to say folks, but "THIS IS NOT A HOAX ) Sunline IS closed, and not for hunting season or thanksgivng. There is supposed to be talking going on to deal with the closure, IE: buyout. And hopefully it will be be true, as long as it's the right person (s) doing the buyout. We don't need a cheap company scarfing up Sunline and taking their "QUALITY" down the drain. I am really upset about this as so many folks have become accustom to Sunlines' quality and customer service, and the fact that they will do "custom" orders. Geesh, I only know how to recommend SUNLINE, guess I'll have to tell folks there are no great TT's being built for now . So if they purchase another brand, "let the buyer beware"
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:01 PM   #7

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
Kitty....I was reading that thread throughout the day hoping somebody would clarify the situation...now you have. That is just the worst news I've heard in a long time. I thought they were doing so well and with a great product why wouldn't they be. Well so much for their three year warranty I guess. I wonder what will come of it.

Bob

GoodoleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:12 PM   #8

SUN #25
OkieCat

I can hardly believe what I am reading... I hope they find a good group of owners that will keep up the tradition of great quality and outstanding customer service!

'04 T2499 SE
'04 Silverado
OkieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:19 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
Hey Bob,
I have absolutely no reason to doubt the news that I posted in my previous reply. I just can't really expand with any addeitional info, well at least not right now. As for warranty work, I believe most if not all will be covered by the dealer, especially since some warranty work would possibly be on appliances coverd by that manufacturer. Boy, this is sure a sad day. Also found out that Sunline "WAS" planning a 1950, 2499 and 2553 with a "slide". Hopefully, things will all work out, and the "RIGHT" folks will aquire Sunline. My dealer is planning to purchase what units that are at the factory now, that are not promised to other dealers.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:38 PM   #10

SUN #39
leather
Aw shucks--I just read this news and hope it isn't so. I have a 1950 on order for over a month. The dealer spoke with them on Thursday and was told it was being scheduled which should be done this week.
Please let us know if anybody hears anything more.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:52 PM   #11

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
I sent an email to my dealer for his reaction..that will be tomorrow. I always want reason to accompany action...if they were doing well(that's a presumption on my part) what possible reason would they have to close....certainly not just a loss of interest...not with all those employees. I'm just beside myself..mad and sad...disappointed and concerned..I'm happy I was able to snag a new Sunline before this happened, but I did count on the factory support for the unforseen problem they were noted for providing. Feeling a bit short changed at the moment, but my reaction may be premature. Time will tell. Thanks Kitty for your close attention to this developing situation.

Bob

Old 11-13-2006, 06:10 PM   #12

SUN #53
irishguy101
I hope it is not true but if it is, I too hope they will be picked up by someone that cares and keeps the quality.
If by chance it is true, I am thankfull that I should have a long time before things go wrong with it.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:41 PM   #13

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
OH boy....

This is NOT good news. Hopefully we can get some more facts on this. Sunline does do a work force sort of reduction during slow times. I think it is like 3 weeks on then 1 week off. They have done this before in the past. But this sounds like more.

Just last late last week I emailed Sunline about the Dometic fridge recall and had several emails with LaRue. And I had a small warranty issue on the propane system letter to them as well that they where getting back to me on.

If this is true, it is truly sad. They where bought out about a year or so ago. Now this.

The competition is tough our there. Not all RV'ers are looking for the same thing in a camper. For us, it was the top flight quality and yes it cost a little more, but what I have is far above the cost.

It will be truly sad if the company changes drastically. BUT the T2499 I have is build well and solid. It will last me until I either want to upgrade to a larger unit or stop camping. And I do not plan on stopping camping for many, many, many years to come.

Kitty, a T2499 with a slide? Really?? I was thinking the same thing myself the other day.

Hope for all of us this passes us by.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:07 PM   #14

SUN #62
rich2500
boy oh boy this is not good news,but it honestly does not surprise me with the prices they been asking for new trailers,I know you get what you pay for and that is why I bought a sunline but alot of people buying rv's don't know and just look for the lowest bottom line price.our last trailer was a Nash, when we decided to go bigger we went back to the dealer we bought it from and long behold they no longer sold nash, I asked why and the response was we can't sell enough of them when buyers can go right down the road and buy the same size rv. for several thousand less.Same thing happened a few months ago at a very large local sunline dealer we stopped by to look at a sunnybrook 312bhds(next trailer must be dual slides)and they did not have any new sunlines sitting on the lot,I asked why and got the exact same response as I got from the nash dealer(they cost to much and we cannot sell enough of them)Any way we are still happy sunline owners and plan to keep our sunline for sometime yet.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:19 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
[quote="JohnB"]OH boy....

If this is true, it is truly sad. They where bought out about a year or so ago. Now this.
Kitty, a T2499 with a slide? Really?? I was thinking the same thing myself the other day.
quote]

Could be looking at a possibility of Sunline returning to "some previous company ownership".
Yep, T-2499 with a slide, so lets hope Sunline gets their act back together. But, I won't be getting a 2499 slider. Mines paid for and can't afford to spend more to uprade.

Kitty
Old 11-13-2006, 07:32 PM   #16

SUN #62
rich2500
Could be looking at a possibility of Sunline returning to "some previous company ownership".

that would be excellent
Old 11-14-2006, 11:59 PM   #17

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Fellow Sunline Campers

I know most of us are RV.net members as well. And the posts on the company today sure have ranked up quite a bit of conversation over there. Almost to the point of disheartening. This forum is mainly just us Sunline folks so I'll post over here.

It appears the company is going through some rough times. But I can pass this small tid bit of hope along.

This morning I emailed the service manger at Sunline on a small warranty issue I sent them last week. Well within 15 minutes at 8:16AM on Tuesday morning I received a message back from him that they where indeed working on it and had passed it along to the Atwood and Dometic rep. My issues were in the appliances.

So the rumor of 100% let go employees was, rumors.

What speculation we can now make is just that, speculation. Having personally been through 3 companies in the northeast going out of business in my career so far, this is gut wrenching to say the least to the employees of Sunline. An old company with a lot of pride which is what makes them the great camper builder they are.

But there is also the business side. We do not know all the details and most likely will not or should not. If they went bankrupt, then the name could be killed big time and the business. It seems by the news stories they have some kind of operation slow down until the beginning of next year. This way they may be able to come out of it and not owe their creditors.

I know my camper will last the test of time as yours will too.

Those that have campers on order, we hope that you will have some resolution and piece of mind and get your camper soon. For those Sunline employees, we hope for them the best. Just like Ford Motor Co. GM, GE the list goes on of US layoffs.

And we hope the Sunline we knew, comes back alive next year and will become stronger for this set back. We need this good camper builder to stay around.

Best to all.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:50 PM   #18

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
That was a good message John. It ain't over til it's over...I believe Yogi Berra said that. I'll keep the faith and care for my Sunline as if nothing happened. If I develope a problem I'll deal with it. That's about it.

Bob